Dune - what a movie!

Kevin

The special effects were terrible, the acting's laughable, the story was slow, Sting's in it for no apparent reason (suddenly, I was like oh my god, that's Sting with orange hair!, and later the uncomfortably low speedo), Toto did the music (who recently broke up), the ending was weird with the thunderstorm and new age soft rock over the end credits. It was a stinking pile of crap.

Man, I loved that movie. I really did.

I absolutely think it was far too ambitious a project to adapt to film, but the result was so wildly bizarre and wonderful that I can't imagine if it had never been made. It's an incredible piece of art. Heavily flawed, beautiful, ugly, desperate, expertly-paced, etc. It's become one of my top ten favorite science-fiction films of all time. They just don't craft films like it anymore.

For some reason, the 80's-ness of it seemed right somehow. Looking back on the 80's is actually not dissimilar from a surreal science fiction universe, anyway. Lynch may have left out a lot of plot elements, including a basic tenet of the book wherein Paul Atreides is trying desperately to avoid engaging in a messianic jihad. In a way, though, I think Lynch's Dune captured the soul of the book far better than the tepid Sci-fi channel remake. That was painful. Soulless. Like a painting-by-numbers... technically correct, and completely devoid of art.

The film is problematic on several levels. I mean, look at it and compare it to all the other Sci-Fi-Pictures of that time and today: No such movie was made before or since, its unique and and an cult-movie... and you wonder how it could be made in the first place. Studios didn't think that a live action Lord of the Rings movie was possible to make. Kudos to the Crew for managing to make it nevertheless, although ultimately Lynch was unable to finish it as he wanted. That's why he should be allowed to make an 'Special Edition'.

What I also liked:

a) The music. It was Toto's first scoring attempt, and as they tried to combine their native electronic sounds with those of the Vienna Symphony Orchestra/Vienna Volksoper Choir in Austria, they were quickly overwhelmed, even with musical help from Marty Paich, father of David Paich, and also teacher of popular film composer James Newton Howard. Several different themes and genres of music were thrown together to form a crazed mess of grandiose electronically hip orchestral nonsense. And, in strangely a perfect ending, the mess of a movie and mess of a score went remarkably well together.

b ) The absolutely excellent production design, evident in the costumes and the gorgeous sets. It is really like the filmmakers attempted to create an complete universe with its own forms of art, architecture and design. What I like is, that the machines look so primitive and antiquated, although the story is set many thousand years in the future. The animatronics, matte paintings and miniatures (foreground models too) are VERY special. The visual effects were passable.

c) The casting (Kyle McLachlan (a bit stiff at times), Sting (wonderfully over the top), Kenneth McMillan (one of the most bizarre villains in movie history, McMillan clearly had fun), Brad Dourif (Ditto), Jose Ferrer (dependable), Jürgen Prochnow (probably the best acting job other than Das Boot), Max von Sydow, Patrick Stewart, Sean Young)

d) David Lynch's Visual Style

e) And of course the uniqueness of it all.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which version of the movie did you watch? The original version, the "Alan Smithee" version or the 3 hour extended version? The visuals, art direction, costume design (who can forever those rubber desert suits) and cinematography were all spectacular. Don't forget Brian Eno's involvement with the music as well. Can you imagine if David Lynch had gone on to direct "Return of the Jedi" instead????

P.S. We have nothing against newbies

• 2 weeks later...

I, too love this movie, and I was fortunate enough to see it in London on its first release, at The Empire, Leicester Square, in 6-track magnetic stereo, and 70mm. I have seen it many times, since. Yes, it is a humourless film, with bad effects, bad acting, and some risible dialogue, but what I like about it is the production design, the sound design, the score, and the overall ambition of the film. I have seen the Alan Smithee version once, and I will never see it again! For my money, the 2hrs. 17mins. version cut by Tony Gibbs, makes far more sense, and flows better.

I hated the film. But I did watch it right after reading the book, which couldn't have helped, seeing how different the film is. Still, I found it to be a repulsive film with no redeeming virtues.

The set design and the conception of the Bene Gesserit were the film's standouts. Sting was a Roy Batty 'lite'. I can see a few other Blade Runner influences too.

Alex

I've never seen the Lynch version at all. I saw the Sci-Fi Channel reinterpretation, which I enjoyed and which inspired me to read the books (I'm about 10 pages from the end of Children). And I read somewhere they're working to make another big screen version of the books. I'd rather see this book series set to film more than see the Dark Materials film series completed. But you've now intrigued me to rent the Lynch movie.

THis is not a good movie. BUt there's such a powerful atmosphere throughout the whole thing, some of the acting (even thew bad one), is so honest and earnest and there's a feeling of "what the hell is this? I want to know more" in several sequences. It totally compelled me to read the novel, which became what it is today my all time favorite book. It's a very schizofrenic movie. BUt of its sequences and imagery and even music are unforgetable. The water scene ("And we have enough, we shall change the face of Arrakis") is stunningly beautiful. I wish today's bad movies had so many redeeming qualities and honesty as this one.

I wish today's bad movies had so many redeeming qualities and honesty as this one.

I agree. Images no longer stick in the brain with contemporary sci-fi movies. I, Robot, I Am Legend, Hancock ... they all change into vapour the minute the end credits are over.

Full Metal Jacket stuck with me for weeks after watching it for the first time. The end of Act 1 blew me away, so to speak.

I, Robot, I Am Legend, Hancock ... they all change into vapour the minute the end credits are over.

Do you also want to mention Independence Day, Wild, Wild West, Men In Black, and Men In Black: II on that list? Or do only hate a select few Will Smith movies?

Full Metal Jacket stuck with me for weeks after watching it for the first time. The end of Act 1 blew me away, so to speak.
I, Robot, I Am Legend, Hancock ... they all change into vapour the minute the end credits are over.

Do you also want to mention Independence Day, Wild, Wild West, Men In Black, and Men In Black: II on that list? Or do only hate a select few Will Smith movies?

I actually liked I, Robot quite a bit. But yeah, most of Will Smith's other movies are very forgettable.

What are you trying to imply by your statement Wojo?

That in the age of Obama, is it somehow racist not to like Will Smith movies?

So how did we go from listing several lousy sci-fi movies that happen to star Will Smith to accusations of the president-elect ushering in new definitions of racism? Yeah, seriously?

So how did we go from listing several lousy sci-fi movies that happen to star Will Smith to accusations of the president-elect ushering in new definitions of racism? Yeah, seriously?

Perhaps because it's true?

Twice, on separate occasions, in the month of December I remarked to some hipster-trendy [douchebag] friends of mine that I thought I am Legend and Hancock both sucked royally, despite those movies doing well at the box-office.

I was accused of simply "not liking" Will Smith and being a racist because I don't like most of his movies. These same two moronic friends of mine also had the opinion that if you didn't vote for Obama or didn't drink the kool-aid surrounding the man, you were an obvious racist (which seemed to be echoed by the BBC over here in the UK). Of course it didn't matter that I thought all the candidates who were running were inadequate and that I'm generally apolitical, it only mattered to my friends that I wasn't 100% totally in the tank for Obama and hence, an obvious racist. Whatever happened to people distrusting ALL politicians?

Now I hope you can agree with me that both types of reasoning are ludicrous, and as for me, they are connected hence the aside.

But you were the one to bring it up here...there's nothing wrong with disliking Will Smith movies. Armond White would applaud you for it.

But you were the one to bring it up here...

True, but it's been bugging me for awhile and I guess I needed to vent.

Back on topic, I gotta say I quite like Dune. Visually it really is quite a fun movie and when I watched it for the first time as a kid I didn't care about pesky things like "plots" or "continuity". I especially remember being awed with the Sandworms.

Although I know about its flaws, I really like the movie a lot. There is something about all these unique early 80's movies...

And I love the soundtrack. The prologue is so beautiful, perfectly fitting the introduction by Princess Irulan. The whole score is full of strange ideas that for some reason work in the movie, like the electronic baroque music for Baron Harkonnen.

I only wish David Lynch would have had three hours or more to tell his story; maybe it would have made more sense to the audience. The TV version has interesting new scenes, but is awfully edited...

Am I the only one, upon finding that Marc is the last poster in a thread, to immediately scroll to the bottom to see if the thread's closed or not? Just wondering.

:P :P :P

MSCAstressedMan.jpg

Man, i've never seen such a case of misunderstanding.

For the record Wojo, I was not implying you're racist - I thought you were trying to say that not liking a Will Smith movie was somehow racist (which as I explained has happened to me a couple of times). And I always bold people's usernames when i'm addressing them on forums, it's my own internet etiquette I guess.

Man, I really need to start differentiating jwfan.com from the hordes of other sites/messageboards I visit. Especially the places that are rampant with trolls, anarchists, and general ne'er-do-wells. Every comment at those places is taken out of context and bounced around an echo-chamber until you basically go insane.

I must remember that this place is generally free of that, a zen garden on the internet [at least sometimes!].