A debate about synthizers.

Kevin

To correct you, Jesphok, "Star Fox Assault" featured a soundtrack almost entirely performed by an actual orchestra (though most of it was adapted from "Star Fox 64", which is about as far away from bad as Earth is from the Sun).

I don't know about Jesphok, but i was personally referring to the original Star Fox, on the 16-Bit Super Nintendo.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was responding to this:

Nintendo games including newer releases in Starfox series still use orchestral synths.

By the way, I essentially agree with everything you said above, Quint. Star Fox was an amazing (yet terribly brutal) game with pretty good music that contained some excellent highlights.

I only remember a couple of the levels. Weren't there two paths you could take through the galaxy (or whatever)? That game was hard. I thought the characters were hilarious, with names like Slippy and Peppy. I think it was like the first level, but when you fight a boss I think Falco gets shot down, and Peppy goes "Noooo!!!" in a monotone and non-expressive voice. :lol:

I usually find synths to be distracting and pointless. Sometimes the use is benign and you can ignore it, but usually it takes the place of the orchestra and is not half as interesting.

"Runaway" is a brillant all-synth score, and the synthesised augmentations to "Extreme Prejudice", and "Legend" also work very well. These are three of my favourite '80's Goldsmith scores.

While it's not high on people's lists I'll also add Alien Nation. When I listen to his all synth scores it sounds like he originally composed them for a full orchestra.

To correct you, Jesphok, "Star Fox Assault" featured a soundtrack almost entirely performed by an actual orchestra (though most of it was adapted from "Star Fox 64", which is about as far away from bad as Earth is from the Sun).

I wish Nintendo would score a Zelda game with an actual orchestra.

They got our hopes up with that epic Twilight Princess trailer music then dashed them. That's the only orchestral music featured in the game (it plays, like an after thought, if you leave the menu screen alone for a while). Even the sort of realistic sounding vocalises in Hyrule Square are synthesized. Of course, I didn't have a problem with the Twilight Realm synths; very spooky stuff.

They got our hopes up with that epic Twilight Princess trailer music then dashed them. That's the only orchestral music featured in the game (it plays, like an after thought, if you leave the menu screen alone for a while). Even the sort of realistic sounding vocalises in Hyrule Square are synthesized. Of course, I didn't have a problem with the Twilight Realm synths; very spooky stuff.

Yes indeed. Best Zelda score.

"Runaway" is a brillant all-synth score, and the synthesised augmentations to "Extreme Prejudice", and "Legend" also work very well. These are three of my favourite '80's Goldsmith scores.

While it's not high on people's lists I'll also add Alien Nation. When I listen to his all synth scores it sounds like he originally composed them for a full orchestra.

I'm with you on this one, Mark. Although I own the c.d., and although I am not very familiar with it, it does warrant investigation. It is interesting to see how Goldsmith re-used these themes for "The Russia House", after having had them rejected for both "Alien Nation", and "Wall Street". While not composed for orchestra, as one listens to both "Runaway", and "Alien Nation", one can easily suspect that Goldsmith had possible orchestrations in mind. On a reverse note, I've heard an orchestral version of "Building The Barn", and it sounds bloody awful!

I'm working on a wiiware game score that needs to be under 2mb including all the sound samples, and they want it to sound orchestral, so it will probably sound a lot more like the original StarFox than a lot of other things these days.

Vince DiCola interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLGdzvOq34

I disagree with what he says about orchestral vs synth scores though... Synths have been used in scores for decades now that they're basically just as traditional and cliché as scores performed by an orchestra.

What would the title of the game be, Jeshopk, if you are allowed to divulge such details? I have some Wii Points in the "bank"....

When the developer makes the announcement I can tell you.

What would the title of the game be, Jeshopk, if you are allowed to divulge such details? I have some Wii Points in the "bank"....

It turns out that a 2MB sound budget was too small to include instrument samples of the quality the developer wanted, so I am off the project and they are going to use ambient sounds. It did sound like General MIDI or SNES music but that was deemed too old school. This brings up an interesting point of discussion. In modern times, more and more often synth sounds that don't sound like real instruments or sound design are considered "old school". This was true for square wavs and such, but now it is true for general MIDI type sounds which were a staple of casual games, handhelds and lighthearted fare until recently.