Lost Lucas Interview from 1971

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this. Little did the world know what GL was going to do, and how he would eventually do his best to destroy it all.

BTW, if you go to The Binary Bonsai, you have the option to download the whole hour-long video.

What was funny is how that, right off the bat, GL says he's from Modesto-- and quickly adds that it's a few miles from San Francisco. Even then, he wasn't comfortable with that, he wanted to be thought of as a bay area filmmaker. I live a few hours from Modesto, and I can't say that I blame him. It's hot as you-know-what in the summer, and it seems like light years away from where everything, where ANYTHING, is happening.

A few days ago, I was heading to my nephew's birthday party and took this pic through my front window. It's no wonder GL came up with Tatooine, with terrain like this nearby....

Thanks for this. Little did the world know what GL was going to do, and how he would eventually do his best to destroy it all.

I would say go procreate but I'm not sure the world needs more opinions like these.

C'mon man, change the record, get some new material. You're making yourself look sad.

I just don't get it. Someone puts a legit post up about something important and historical, and then people come and sh*t all over it for no f*cking reason. I mean, honestly, if George Lucas were at your house, would you say that to his face? No, you wouldn't, because you're smarter than that. But here in the safe JW forum you can say whatever the heck you want. Well, so can I. Though if you were in my house, I would still say you need to get laid. I tell my SW hating friends that all the time. I don't like all this pointless Lucas bashing. I'm trying to do you all a favor and make this place just a little bit more legit. That way, 40 years from now, when some film music scholar is looking for historical information about the Maestro, he won't dismiss this site as a bunch of sexually repressed teenagers who go around flaming our era's most influential filmmakers. You can make this site whatever you want. I just think it's real f*cking lame that you cannot post anything about SW or IJ without some @$$hole talking about how f*cked up George Lucas is. It's all a bunch of horsesh*t. So forgive me for doing what I feel is right.

PS USA is going to get destroyed by Brazil Sunday, unfortunately. Lucky bastards.

That bastard! I was even more offended when he bombed the World Trade Centers! :lol:

I just don't get it. Someone puts a legit post up about something important and historical, and then people come and sh*t all over it for no f*cking reason. I mean, honestly, if George Lucas were at your house, would you say that to his face? No, you wouldn't, because you're smarter than that. But here in the safe JW forum you can say whatever the heck you want. Well, so can I. Though if you were in my house, I would still say you need to get laid. I tell my SW hating friends that all the time. I don't like all this pointless Lucas bashing. I'm trying to do you all a favor and make this place just a little bit more legit. That way, 40 years from now, when some film music scholar is looking for historical information about the Maestro, he won't dismiss this site as a bunch of sexually repressed teenagers who go around flaming our era's most influential filmmakers. You can make this site whatever you want. I just think it's real f*cking lame that you cannot post anything about SW or IJ without some @$hole talking about how f*cked up George Lucas is. It's all a bunch of horsesh*t. So forgive me for doing what I feel is right.

Delicious irony.

PS USA is going to get destroyed by Brazil Sunday, unfortunately. Lucky bastards.

And nobody in the US cares.

I just don't get it. Someone puts a legit post up about something important and historical, and then people come and sh*t all over it for no f*cking reason. I mean, honestly, if George Lucas were at your house, would you say that to his face? No, you wouldn't, because you're smarter than that. But here in the safe JW forum you can say whatever the heck you want. Well, so can I. Though if you were in my house, I would still say you need to get laid. I tell my SW hating friends that all the time. I don't like all this pointless Lucas bashing. I'm trying to do you all a favor and make this place just a little bit more legit. That way, 40 years from now, when some film music scholar is looking for historical information about the Maestro, he won't dismiss this site as a bunch of sexually repressed teenagers who go around flaming our era's most influential filmmakers. You can make this site whatever you want. I just think it's real f*cking lame that you cannot post anything about SW or IJ without some @$$hole talking about how f*cked up George Lucas is. It's all a bunch of horsesh*t. So forgive me for doing what I feel is right.

Your obsession with sex is bothersome.

It's very simple, if you criticize the prequels or you don't love them you're simply not having enough sex.

Man, this is a George Lucas that knows how to answer those questions! Nowadays, this interview would be littered with CGI subtitles telling us who was talking, cheesy answers to the questions, and tons of last minute edits in that Gregorian(?) chant. There'd also be another interview made with Alfred Hitchcock, which would destroy the mystery and magic behind the interviewer's past.

And I'm upset that they've already changed the title from A Toy Maker that Makes Films to A Toymaker that Makes Films: George Lucas Interviewed in 1971. They're raping my childhood!

What was funny is how that, right off the bat, GL says he's from Modesto-- and quickly adds that it's a few miles from San Francisco. Even then, he wasn't comfortable with that, he wanted to be thought of as a bay area filmmaker. I live a few hours from Modesto, and I can't say that I blame him. It's hot as you-know-what in the summer, and it seems like light years away from where everything, where ANYTHING, is happening.

I don't know how big Modesto is, but I met a lot of people who would mention where they are from, and quickly add how far it is from the nearest big well known city if their place is a small town.

Man, this is a George Lucas that knows how to answer those questions! Nowadays, this interview would be littered with CGI subtitles telling us who was talking, cheesy answers to the questions, and tons of last minute edits in that Gregorian(?) chant. There'd also be another interview made with Alfred Hitchcock, which would destroy the mystery and magic behind the interviewer's past.

And I'm upset that they've already changed the title from A Toy Maker that Makes Films to A Toymaker that Makes Films: George Lucas Interviewed in 1971. They're raping my childhood!

:lol: Kind of strange to score the interview with plainchant, by the way.

It's obvious that Lucas is still basically the same film maker as he was then. He's still fascinated more with manipulating moving images than anything else. Still a toymaker that makes films. And his films still have emotional impact.

I think that the hatred of Lucas around here is really just an inverse operation to the love felt toward his early films. You don't hear as many people bashing Goldsmith for changing so much, and saying he would just use synths instead of acoustic sounds (mixing bowls, etc) for Planet of the Apes if he were doing it in the 90's.

With Lucas, he evolved without us seeing him evolve. Basically re-emerged after over a decade away from real film making. People had expectations that the movies would be the same, but if he'd been making films the whole time, it would soften the surprise.

Imagine if Jerry took all that time off after Poltergeist and then came out with his late 90's scores. He'd be hated too I guess,

I agree that when the tools change, an artist shouldn't always use (or overuse) the new tools, but I respect the choice made by the individual. It's their work.

In the end, it's something to enjoy. If you don't, then might as well let it go.

Jesse, I wish I could just wish away all my feelings about Lucas, but no matter how hard I try, the prequels and KotCS still suck.

I think Jeshopk's post should calm everyone down. That's pretty much it. In a way, you have to really love something in order to passionately hate it.

Oh btw, you can also watch Steven Spielberg's "Amblin'" at Binary Bonsai, along with James Cameron's "Xenogenesis."

With Lucas, he evolved without us seeing him evolve. Basically re-emerged after over a decade away from real film making. People had expectations that the movies would be the same, but if he'd been making films the whole time, it would soften the surprise.

Lucas already softened the surprise when he okayed Return Of The Jedi. Film experts even go further and say that Star Wars (A New Hope) is the last Lucas film that carries the original Lucas stamp.

Alex

Lucas already softened the surprise when he okayed Return Of The Jedi. Film experts even go further and say that Star Wars (A New Hope) is the last Lucas film that carries the original Lucas stamp.

Alex

Well, then I defer to the experts ;)