Had to say "hello". . . .

Uni

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ya, nearly forgot about the complete recordings for the Lord Of The Rings trilogy and those are definitely worth picking up too.

Edit: Uni, Intrada has limited edition releases every 2 weeks. They didn't have one this week because of the 4th of July weekend but they'll resume on the 21st. Well they announce the titles on a Monday every two weeks then available for purchase the following day.

I don't remember when LaLa Land's releases are though, I think they're once or twice a month can't remember.

Varèse also released an expanded version of Stargate, which has 7 new cues including the never before released "Transporter Horror" and even sounds better than the old Milan release. It's also in film order and a non limited title.

Oh and the Superman FSM box set which is worth owning, if you don't have one I suggest getting a copy. It's worth the price tag. You not only get a fully remastered version of Superman: The Movie but remastered and complete versions of Superman II-IV and even music from Superman: The Animated Series by Ron Jones. I don't think they'll be making any more editions after the second pressing of it goes out of stock so if you don't have a copy as I suggested get one before they do sell out, other wise you will end up kicking yourself in the ass for it.

Intrada released the complete score for Goldsmith's Alien which is a non limited title.

Oh ya, nearly forgot about the complete recordings for the Lord Of The Rings trilogy and those are definitely worth picking up too.

I do own the Stargate Deluxe Edition. That was an ironic release, since the OST was far more complete than most score releases ever are. Seeing as it's a phenomenal score, however (I gave it pretty high standing on the Top 20 list we did on this MB way back when), I picked it up as soon as I saw it.

I didn't know about the Superman one, and that may be a splurger for me. Ken Thorne's renditions were never as good as Johnny's original, but they weren't terribly bad--and since I have II and III on LP only, I certainly wouldn't mind getting some remastered copies. Like the film, I couldn't possibly care any less for IV, or anything else having to do with that movie. (I paid for the therapy; the bad dreams have stopped. I dont' need to go back there.)

Alien is also a must, and since you say it's not a limited edition, all I have to do is track down a copy.

I've seen the LOTR scores. They're pricey, but they'll find a place in my collection one day as well.

Thanks for the info, Trent. I do appreciate it.

- Uni

Like the film, I couldn't possibly care any less for IV, or anything else having to do with that movie.

I don't own and am not very familiar with the Superman 'Blue Box' but I believe there were at least 1 or 2 original themes written new by Williams himself for that movie.

Like the film, I couldn't possibly care any less for IV, or anything else having to do with that movie.

Interesting, most people like that score, and would rank it as #2 behind Williams' original. Most likely because Williams wrote some new themes.

Alien is also a must, and since you say it's not a limited edition, all I have to do is track down a copy.

There were plenty of Goldsmith releases, In Harm's Way and Lonely Are the Brave being the most recent ones. In the past, there were also expanded & remastered releases of such highlights as The Wind and the Lion and The Boys from Brazil. Also a couple of Williams oldies. And Species by Young (official and slightly expanded vs. the promo).

Those were the days. I was magnificent then.

"Yes, you were great. Time to be great again, my lord" - Lawrence to Prince Feisal (Lawrence of Arabia).

"

" - Stefancos

I couldn't possibly care any less for IV, or anything else having to do with that movie. (I paid for the therapy; the bad dreams have stopped. I dont' need to go back there.)

Don't underestamite Courage's work. It's a fantastic score.

I've seen the LOTR scores. They're pricey, but they'll find a place in my collection one day as well.

If you're not in any rush, you might want to wait until the end of the year. When Doug Adams finishes his Music of The Lord of the Rings book and the Rarities Archive (an extra disc with alternates, demos and other unused material) is released, there will also be several combo packages (all three CR's, the three CR's plus the Rarities Archive and a massive Everything Set also featuring the book).

At least that was the plan last I heard.

- Marc, who forgot the URL of Doug's site.

I couldn't possibly care any less for IV, or anything else having to do with that movie. (I paid for the therapy; the bad dreams have stopped. I dont' need to go back there.)

If you're not in any rush, you might want to wait until the end of the year. When Doug Adams finishes his Music of The Lord of the Rings book and the Rarities Archive (an extra disc with alternates, demos and other unused material) is released, there will also be several combo packages (all three CR's, the three CR's plus the Rarities Archive and a massive Everything Set also featuring the book).

At least that was the plan last I heard.

- Marc, who forgot the URL of Doug's site.

Here is the url Marc. :folder:http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfilms.blogspot.com/

BTW I agree with Marc if you don't have the LOTR complete recordings yet, wait until the Rarities Archive is released this year.

I also believe too that the Rarities Archive will be available for separate purchase so people don't have to double dip if they all ready own the C.R.'s for the LOTR scores.

I also believe too that the Rarities Archive will be available for separate purchase so people don't have to double dip if they all ready own the C.R.'s for the LOTR scores.

Correct. But the package deal might be cheaper than getting everything seperate.

I think (and could be wrong) that I heard that while the book and rarities were going ahead, the plans to release bundles of CRs with and without the book had been decided against at the moment. But I am not sure.

"It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am not a big man." Irwin M. Fletcher

Arright, I suppose I could be off base on this one. Honestly, I was so distracted by my attempt to cover my eyes and both my ears during the movie that I wasn't really listening to the music. I may have to give the blue box a try, just to set the record straight on that one.

- Uni

There's also a wealth of unused material from Superman IV. Courage scored a cut of the film that was much longer than what ended up in theatres. The movie is dysmal indeed, but the score was a huge surprise to me when I got the Blue Box.

Ron Jones' work for the animated Superman series is also included and it's really quite good as well.

Oh, and the liner notes are awesome.