Hook question.

Kevin

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an excellent representation of the score. I highly recommend it. While it's missing a lot of music from the film, the selections are more than adequate. Not every score can be given a complete release.

Yes,that is one case where the complete score would be a MUST HAVE

The OST is actually too much of a mixed bag of cues and you can't appreciate the thematic development

Got the CD for a few quid earlier in the year and it has enough highlights to satisfy me. Much of that is due to the bad workmanship on the shoes, but also because the re-recordings on various Spielberg/Williams albums are some of the best cues IMO.

I would of course buy a super comprehensive complete set, but I can wait until that day.

If I have the regular release of Hook, is that good enough or must I seek a longer release of it?

There's a wealth of great material left off the album.

Unfortunately, the original release is the also only official release of music from Hook.

There is a certain version of the score out there for Hook which has a lot of good material left off the CD. However, the sound quality isn't that great.

This subject is rather a mixed bag for me, since "Hook" is one of my least favourite J.W. scores. I do, however, have a 2-c.d. version (as well as the official version) which has a ton of missing music, and is worth investing in. I know of a 3-c.d. version, but I have not heard this. Personally, I have never heard "Banning Back Home" film version on c.d., nor have I heard the final part of "The Ultimate Battle", which starts to play just after Rufio's death, and ends with Hook being eaten by the crocodile clock (complete with burp!).The 2-c.d. has alternate takes of quite a few tracks, including "The Trip To Neverland". As has been noted, the sound isn't great, but it is passable. A rather boring soundtrack? To me, yes, but also an essential one. Maybe one day I'll learn to appreciate "Hook", until then...

The OST is actually too much of a mixed bag of cues and you can't appreciate the thematic development

And that's very important as thematically loaded as Hook is.

May the day come soon when they do the same to the score from Hook as they did to the one from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and to all Superman and LotR scores ...

Not good enough. The complete Hook score is my holy grail. The CD is missing tons of highlights and has a bunch of alternates.

Pretty much this.

'Hook', in my opinion, is JW's Magnum Opus.

The Hook CD is not bad at all, the thing is, the score is so good that what's missing is as strong as most of what's included on the album, but the material on the original CD is quite good though. My number 1 most desired expanded score btw.

Not every score can be given a complete release.

But this one most certainly should. The OST is great, but you're only really getting half of the picture with it.

Unfortunately, the original release is the also only official release of music from Hook.

Well, if you mean music from the actual film score, yes. But there's still the great concert stuff from Williams on Williams. It's essential to my Hook playlist, which does not feature unofficially released music because the sound quality would probably be awful. You know, if I ever listened to that kind of stuff.

To be honest, I was not that impressed with Hook (one of the claimed magnum opuses of Mr. Williams).

I find his concert pieces the most imprerssive element of the score. Williams wrote loads of themes and it shows.

But actually, outside the battle and the emotional material in the beginning and end, I don't listen to this score much. Maybe more as Christmas approaches.

If Williams had added some the final battle/duel music with Hook and left off "Banning Back Home", "We Don't Wanna Grow Up" and "When You Are Alone", the original album would have been near perfect.

I believe the rights are with Sony as far music and film goes. While it would seem that Williams and his association with Sony would guarantee a release, a 2-3 disc set would probably not be something Sony would consider cost effective. I believe Michael Matessino even commented on something similar to that effect, although it may have been in jest.

I would guess it would have to be done thru someone like FSM, Varese, LaLaLand or Intrada.