Back To The Future is Here

Dean1700

Did anybody catch the Oregon State Marching Band playing music from Back to the Future during the Rose Bowl's halftime show? And it wasn't just the main theme, they also played incidental music from elsewhere in the score. I wonder if somebody in the Ducks' music department was inspired by some Intrada this past month...

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the main theme, what do you guys think it represents in the first Back To The Future film? :)

My conclusion is: The DeLorean Time Machine itself! Think about it, whenever the main theme is used in it's full orchestral glory, the car is in the scene. Surely not just a coincidence? Whenever I hear the theme, I can always picture the car flying (literally!) along! :D

PS - I'm not trying to start any arguements about the music/film here, I just want to know what other people think and what their opinions are. Personally, the main theme is in my top 5 favourites of all time. It's awesome! :D

I can't really argue with that. If you're right, then the "response" theme--used whenever one of the protagonists (Marty, the Doc, George, etc.) accomplishes a feat (running over the top of the convertible and landing on the skateboard, for instance)--becomes a stand-in for a heroic motif, like Indy's Theme. Combining the two for the main title theme is sort of a musical representation of the hero's adventure facilitated by the time machine (which becomes a character in its own right).

In response to your second assertion . . . while it's always hard to set Williams' grand themes aside to make room for an outsider, the Back to the Future theme has to rank as one of the greatest non-Williams examples of adventurous leitmotif in the last thirty years. It seems like a simple construction, one that's almost overused in the movies . . . yet it never once seems out of place or tiresome. That in itself is an accomplishment worthy of the score's heroic fanfare.

- Uni

Maxxie, I think the theme really doesn't represent anything, honestly. I don't consider it a leitmotif...which is fine, because it functions very well simply as a main theme for the film that ties the score together and provides hummable doses of excitement, tenderness, sentimentality, and even eeriness as appropriate.

I'm just jumping in this thread now, because I didn't get around to ordering my copy until recently.

Anywho, I agree with the idea that the theme probably represents the DeLorean itself more than anything. That's how I've always looked at it anyway.

Did anybody catch the Oregon State Marching Band playing music from Back to the Future during the Rose Bowl's halftime show? And it wasn't just the main theme, they also played incidental music from elsewhere in the score. I wonder if somebody in the Ducks' music department was inspired by some Intrada this past month...

I did. Sounded like The Clocktower.

As a resident of Oregon, I must point out that Oregon played in the Rose Bowl, not Oregon State. Perhaps if the Ducks only had two uniforms instead of a new uniform for each game, they would have been more easily recognized. Not that I really give a hoot-- I got my degree from Cal Santa Barbara.

It's arrived! ;)

As for the un-used "Logo" cue, I think the film would have worked better with this left in. It's only a very short piece, and the ticking clocks still could've been used once "Logo" had finished. :)

Finally, mine has arrived as well.....only problem now is I am not at home to listen to it and enjoy it. Damn it. There's always some thing.

Oh well, at least I'll have something at home waiting for me when I finish work tonight...apart from my very beautiful wife that is.

It's arrived! ;)

As for the un-used "Logo" cue, I think the film would have worked better with this left in. It's only a very short piece, and the ticking clocks still could've been used once "Logo" had finished. :P

Finally, mine has arrived as well.....only problem now is I am not at home to listen to it and enjoy it. Damn it. There's always some thing.

Oh well, at least I'll have something at home waiting for me when I finish work tonight...apart from my very beautiful wife that is.

I sympathise, but I would always put my wife before any music! ;)

Anyway, when you do get 'round to listening to it, you'll love it. :)

It's arrived! ;)

As for the un-used "Logo" cue, I think the film would have worked better with this left in. It's only a very short piece, and the ticking clocks still could've been used once "Logo" had finished. :P

Anyway, when you do get 'round to listening to it, you'll love it. :)

Not in this case. The wife will have to wait as she'll be asleep when I get home at near 1am. When I get home I'll be having something to eat and listening to it. I haven't heard it yet and I love it already.

I did. Sounded like The Clocktower.

As a resident of Oregon, I must point out that Oregon played in the Rose Bowl, not Oregon State. Perhaps if the Ducks only had two uniforms instead of a new uniform for each game, they would have been more easily recognized. Not that I really give a hoot-- I got my degree from Cal Santa Barbara.

Oops, you are correct. Teach me to post BS in two threads late in the A.M. D'oeth!

Bah! A good film score fan always puts the music first. ;)

Ah yes, but alas, I value my life much more than just my ears alone... :lol:

I tend to agree that the main Back To The Future theme itself would represent the DeLorean since we mostly heard that portion of the music when we saw the DeLorean on the screen.

Doc's Theme: Obviously is heard in 85 Lone Pine Mall and at the first half of The Clocktower (Part 1).

Marty's Theme: I'm iffy on that...not sure if it would be heard during Einstein Disintegrated and The Picture, or during Marty's Letter and 4x4.

Biff's Theme is obviously heard in George To The Rescue.

Not sure what George's Theme would be...would that be part of George To The Rescue (Part 2)?

Mine arrived!

I'm with joey225, though. I can't open it yet.

This is one of my all-time favorite scores, and I've been waiting for a proper release for as long as I've known what a soundtrack is. And there it is, just sitting in front of me.

I well-remember the absolute ecstasy of first getting my hands on the now-obsolete b**tleg, but that doesn't even compare.

*deep breath*

I'm going to do it. I will open the CD case!

Mine arrived!

I'm with joey225, though. I can't open it yet.

This is one of my all-time favorite scores, and I've been waiting for a proper release for as long as I've known what a soundtrack is. And there it is, just sitting in front of me.

I well-remember the absolute ecstasy of first getting my hands on the now-obsolete b**tleg, but that doesn't even compare.

*deep breath*

I'm going to do it. I will open the CD case!

Would you like a tranquilizer?

It took me over a month to listen to it because I'm lazy. And even now that I have listened to it, I'm a little disappointed.

I think I over-hyped it in my mind over so many years of not having it, even with the OST and the availability of most of the music on II and III as well as from other sources. It's a very good score and deserved to be released, I'm just not sure if the complete score itself is better than the idea of having the complete score released.

It's one of the few universally loved scores that I also enjoy.

There's a bit too much of the 'twinkly' orchestration in places, and I prefer the 'original' versions of one or two cues, but overall it's just one of those scores that clicks for a unidentifiable reason (can't say the same for the sequels unfortunately - the complete scores bore me to death).

Although I can tell this isn't a true grail, because I received it for Xmas, and the only thing I listened to before then was Doc Returns which I've wanted for some time. A personal grail would not have been left as a present of any sort bowdown

Hey question for all of you who have good quality headphones.... for "George To The Rescue (Part 2)" about the 2:20 mark is it me or does anyone else hear what sorta almost sounds like a thunder noise?

I've got 128 on my iPod with chincy over the ear headphones. I tried this once and heard nothing, but the second time I did hear a noticeable bang in the left channel. I had to crank it to hear it, but it sounded like thunder, or a drum hit, or a folding metal chair falling over. Pretty neat to find.

Hey question for all of you who have good quality headphones.... for "George To The Rescue (Part 2)" about the 2:20 mark is it me or does anyone else hear what sorta almost sounds like a thunder noise?

Just sounds like two soft timpani hits to me.

I did notice what sounds like someone dropping something at 0:30 in "Marty's Letter" though.

Isn't it nice how we all like different things Trent?

Although for once, this is a classic score that I can't get enough of at the moment. I've been in Stefan's position many a time tho.

----

I tried doing a Doc Returns/Back in Time edit just now, but tbh it doesn't really work if you're following the film mix, which cuts off the former at the end of the brass bit and then fades the latter in really fast. The car sound effect has a large role here (I did an edit ages ago with the boot, and I included the sfx at that point), and standalone I'm more comfortable with them separate.

I tried doing a Doc Returns/Back in Time edit just now, but tbh it doesn't really work if you're following the film mix, which cuts off the former at the end of the brass bit and then fades the latter in really fast. The car sound effect has a large role here (I did an edit ages ago with the boot, and I included the sfx at that point), and standalone I'm more comfortable with them separate.

Me too. It works ok in the film because, as you say, the sound effects cover the transition. In reality, without the sound effects, it sounds attrocious.

Just for fun I even tried an edit of "Doc Returns" / "End Credits", and that sounded terrible too. Not because of my editing skills, but because the pieces are clearly not meant to segue into each other.

I've managed to do an edit of Doc Returns/Back In Time that I'm happy with if anyone's interested.

Infact.... if anyone fancies having a listen, i've put together my own personal ideal BTTF cd. It contains the complete score, along with all songs and source music, but also includes bits of dialogue, sound effects and other musical moments like Marty's band auditioning for the school dance. It also includes film versions of Earth Angel and Johnny B Goode.

Since it even has dialogue mixed in with the score in places, it's certainly not meant to replace or improve upon the Intrada release, but I think it works well as a really fun companion to it, and a good way to remember my favourite bits of the film, one thing of which was of course the score!

I really like own my "Doc Returns - Back in Time" edit, actually. Sounds awesome - on the contrary, Maxxie, they clearly were intended to segue. I just lined up the firs real downbeat of "Back in Time" with the very end of all the string glissandi (etc.), and then I think I reduced the volume of the "Back in Time" intro while increasing the volume of the "Doc Returns" ending to get a more natural mix. ::listens again:: Yup. Good stuff. Sounds a little different than the film version, of course, since I left the ending of "Doc Returns" in there, but it's probably closer to the original intentions.

All that being said, yes, the sound effects in the film DO help.

I always used to think that the End Credits should've gone straight into the score suite rather than 'Back In Time', similar to Part II.

The only annoying thing about leaving the cues separated is the buildup for Back in Time which is achieved by the sfx in the film. I watched it again earlier and the cue is almost inaudible during the final part of the scene, and there's something about the 'whooosh BANG' leading into the song which is almost music by itself.

I don't think that can be satisfactorily duplicated just with the music so I'm leaving them separated. Besides, Silvestri's ending is nice to hear.

Damn you Zemeckis and your editing!

I created two BTTF 1 albums for my iPod. One is just disc 1 of the Intrada album unaltered.

The other is disc 1 of the Intrada, interspersed with songs from the OST, the suite from the OST, and Mister Sandman from Amazon. It's in this album that I edited "Doc Returns" into "Back in Time."

Disc 2 of the Intrada is regarded as its own album, to stay separate from disc 1.

FINALLY received my copy. Having not seen the movie or hear the score we had before for so long I must say I was shocked how very similar Predator is to BttF. Silvestri kinda surprised me with that almost Hornerlike quality of his that I didn't know before. :)

Yes, you must see the film! NOW! It truly is one of those rare instances when a film is practically perfect in every way. VERY well-crafted plot, genuinely funny humor, genuinely engaging drama, new stuff to catch on repeated viewings, great characters...and, of course, great music. But as you noted, there are other Silvestri scores that don't venture very far from that sound at all.

Hey, hey, guys, hope I'm not misunderstood here - of course I've seen BttF at least 5 times already, it's only that I haven't seen it in the last few years and my memory of it has gotten somewhat hazy, that's all. :lol: How can you even think that there's a member of this forum who hasn't seen BttF?! :P

Having not seen the movie...

vs.

Having not seen the movie or hear the score we had before for so long I must say I was shocked how very similar Predator is to BttF. Silvestri kinda surprised me with that almost Hornerlike quality of his that I didn't know before. :P

Selective quoting is a yellow journalism tactic that can reshape an original statement into something quite different.