Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

My phone doesn't always take me to the most recent page when I post, placing an entire page between my post and what I thought I was responding to.

No, you're just not noticing that the "Next Page" button is lit up at the bottom of your screen :)

My phone doesn't always take me to the most recent page when I post, placing an entire page between my post and what I thought I was responding to.

No, you're just not noticing that the "Next Page" button is lit up at the bottom of your screen :)

I can't figure out the code for deciding what page the mobile site lands you on when you click on a thread. Sometimes it's the last page with the last post. Sometimes it's the middle. Sometimes it's at the beginning. It's probably going by last read post? Maybe? No...

Anyway to just make it take you to the last post? It's a pain in the ass to hit "next page" on a thread like this.

I have never experienced anything like you are talking about at all! On both my Android devices, clicking the thread ALWAYS brings me to my first unread post, or the final post in the thread if I have no unread posts.

Unless you guys are on tapatalk or something. I don't use that, never have.

No idea what happens if you click on threads when not logged in either.

The next page button is usually under my thumb, out of sight, out of mind. Not using tapatalk, but my phone remains perpetually logged in. I've made the mistake more times than you've illuminated, so I'll figure it out.

if what is there is what some think it really is lame(typical Orci and the other transformer 2 scribe), there is no bond between them like there is in the original Star Trek. And if they use the line ...... or the one, shouldn't it be two?

Sure it looks exciting and full of action and great special effects, no question. But aren't you bothered that it appears to be the same plot as the last movie?

Son...

Every book I've read. Every movie I've seen. Every television show I've watched. Every play I've witnessed. Every opera I've ingested. Every fairy tale I've read. Every story I've witnessed has boiled down to two basic driving forces:

Death and Sex.

I don't care about originality in basic story. That's something hokey people come up with that has no basis in reality.

It's all about the quality of the telling of the same story millions have already told. If it's a good story, with an interesting plot and characters, and good execution, I will be happy.

Sure it looks exciting and full of action and great special effects, no question. But aren't you bothered that it appears to be the same plot as the last movie?

Not really. I'm sure it won't be the rehash some fear it to be. I'm really more interested in execution, pacing and emotional resonance than originality of the plot.

At first I was really disappointed at MORE VENGEANCE. But this looks like it could at least be a good movie in and of itself, even if not great Trek. I'm sure Cumberbatch will be great as always. And if he is playing Gary Mitchell, it could open up at least the slightest bit of some more Trek-ish themes.

Also, I'm not so sure that shot is actually a setup for a rehash of

Spock's death

Take a look at Cumberbatch's shirt at 0:45 and then the foreground sleeve in the last shot. Now I'm not sure what the hell is going on.

EDIT: Spoiler tags just to be safe.

Wasn't the point of the last film to re-set the time line so that they could tell new stories? If it is Kahn or Gary Mitchell - why even go there? I do not have high hopes for this movie at all.

Wasn't the point of the last film to re-set the time line so that they could tell new stories? If it is Kahn or Gary Mitchell - why even go there? I do not have high hopes for this movie at all.

They couldn't tell all new stories. It needs to sell. They need to pitch this shit to executives who want proven successful storyline elements. This is why almost everything that comes out of Hollywood is a remake.

Funny. Virtually everyone who saw the opening 9 minutes have VERY high hopes for the movie. Since they've seen roughly 10% of the finished film, I'll take their opinion as more founded than the pessimistic, narrowminded, 'grumpy old men' voice you're raising here (again).

of course Roald because movies that start out great always universally finish great.

still I hope it's good. I always want Star Trek to be good.

Wasn't the point of the last film to re-set the time line so that they could tell new stories? If it is Kahn [sic] or Gary Mitchell - why even go there? I do not have high hopes for this movie at all.

Maybe, but the last film also included Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov, Uhura, Pike, Amanda, Sarek, two versions of Spock, and both Nurse Chapel and Admiral Archer are mentioned. Where should we draw the line? Every character in Star Trek canon is up for grabs in this alternate reality, including those who can really never be topped (Khan).

That'd be like criticizing Chris Nolan's Dark Knight series because Joker, Two-Face, Catwoman, and Bane already received treatment in the Burton/Schumacher film series.

of course Roald because movies that start out great always universally finish great.

still I hope it's good. I always want Star Trek to be good.

Just saying - at this point - I'll take 9 minutes of finished film over one man's opinion of a 2 minute teaser.

neither tells us anything though. And really how finished is it. I hear that in 9 minutes there are 47 lens flares give or take.

We got a trailer for Star Trek 12 in front of The Hobbit last night, and it was definitely DIFFERENT than the one that popped up online a few days ago! It featured different narration at the beginning and less Benedict Cumberbatch narration, and also had some new shots. And the TWOK hand behind glass scene was included in the main body of the trailer, not at the end like that Japanese one.

SPOILERS

I saw the preview in front of an imax hobbit showing in austria completely synchronized in german.

The 3D and CGI work was fantastic and the action, characters and style were really good. It was an intro almost like an indiana jones movie albeit with a short character drama based interlude right at the start with two parents who lost their daughter, crying and leaving the hospital only to get confronted by the cumberbatch character who omniously tells them he can bring her back.

Then the Indiana Jones part starts on a strange alien planet where Kirk and Eomer(? no idea who he was) escape from the native tribe. Everything culminates in a starting volcano eruption with Spock directly inside of the volcano trying to stop the fatal reaction causing the eruption. The Enterprise is hidden beneath the water of an ocean/lake and can't help Spock because then the native inhabitants would see them. Kirk still wants to save him but Spock is ready to die for the prime directive and denies Kirks rescue mission...

The preview ends on a cliffhanger: Will Spock die inside the volcano or not...

The score was good especially in the action scenes but there is one thing that drags it down enormously: The extremely weak Enterprise main theme from Giacchinos first score. As it appeared when the Enterprise was revealed beneath the water i felt sad because to me this dissapointing theme doesn't come close to even the worst of the all other Star Trek television and film themes associated with the ship. What a shame!

The score was good especially in the action scenes but there is one thing that drags it down enormously: The extremely weak Enterprise main theme from Giacchinos first score. As it appeared when the Enterprise was revealed beneath the water i felt sad because to me this dissapointing theme doesn't come close to even the worst of the all other Star Trek television and film themes associated with the ship. What a shame!

:nopity:

I rather enjoy MG's Star Trek 2009 music. If I wanted to hear the themes of Goldsmith, Horner, Courage, Eidelman, Fielding, Steiner, or the other guys, I'd listen to their fucking CDs or watch those movies/episodes.

Well, i always hated the theme and was shocked that Giacchino couldn't come up with something better after his fabulous Lost scoring.

I rather enjoy MG's Star Trek 2009 music. If I wanted to hear the themes of Goldsmith, Horner, Courage, Eidelman, Fielding, Steiner, or the other guys, I'd listen to their fucking CDs or watch those movies/episodes.

Sadly if i watch the movie i can't replace the theme with another better Star Trek theme. I didnt want those "fucking" (only using your term here) themes in this movie, i only wanted a theme that comes close to the gravitas and class all the other themes you mentioned had. And Goldsmith's theme is of course several classes above those.

But Giacchino created something that is worse than all of them...

I thought the music of the first 9 minutes was fantastic.

One of the major problems with the Giacchino Trek theme was that it often played as just melody with some chords underneath in the previous film. I swear I heard counterpoint in the Enterprise reveal this time.

Which is sublime. The Enterprise is its own star and character, I'm very happy J.J. gets that.

But yeah, MG Trek theme: at the very least, it sounded far more intricately layered than any statement of the theme we have heard previously.

its not about hearing the other themes it just that MG's Star Trek music is just short of average, and we know he can do so much mo betta

I've seen the IMAX preview in crappy quality (accompanied by the little screams of a fan going bonkers over it.) I thought it was cool. It reminded me of what I've seen of TOS, just faster and louder.

Some lampshade hanging dialogue here and there. The bridge still looks annoying. Uhura's character seems to be defined by being Spock's girlfriend, they could try to do something else with her. I look forward to more interplay between Pine and Urban, by far the most entertaining thing on this Star Trek version.

From what I understand this is how the plot moves:

Alien Planet -> Shit Goes Down on Earth -> GO Back to Earth -> Leave Earth on Manhunt Across Space (ending up in places like the Quo'Nos).

Sometimes you gotta change things up. Be bad. Change your profile picture to some crap.

So people know the value of what they're getting.

This advice applies to every aspect of life. ;)