Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

Spock died in TWOK, Tasha Yar died in season one of TNG...what are you talking about!

lesbians never die, they just get new partners.

she was confused, any woman who wears her hair like that is not only a great softball player, drives a ford pickup, but also is great at decorating in southwest decor. The real proof was the dreamcatcher in her quarters...and the Melissa Ethredge poster.

He dies at the end of the comic just like he did in the original pilot. So...

The new films take place before the timeframe of TOS....

bad alternate timeline, ignorant stoopid alternate timeline.

romulans r dumb.

time for Star Trek to return to the medium it is best suited too.

• 1 month later...

I hope they try to make Spock as sympathetic in this film as he used to be.

Unless he's still as internally mad due to the destruction of his planet. That could, agh, burden his character in the new films? Damn I hate continuity sometimes, when there's something I don't like to be taken into account >.<

Dr McCoy could fix that ear in a jiffy.

Not sure how I feel about Star Trek rebooting Khan, but I am resigned to the fact that

originality as stated by Dr. McCoy, it's dead Jim!

Khan is not the villain. Benedict Cumberbatch looks nothing like Montalban and they have flat out refused that he is the villain. Personally, I'm glad as Khan already has had two great stories and there's no need to risk a muck up.

Damn you're right, I just checked.

I'm disappointed here.

Khan is like anti-transhumanism propaganda from the past. It belongs in that context. An example of a fantasy-sci-fi show that now follows more modern lines of thinking would be Doctor Who (although DW is benefited for not having a fixed tone, environment or target audience). Star Trek ought to renovate and be different as well, or remain where it was.

Yes and no. While the fears of genetic engineering on humans may be a 60s thing, firmly rooted in imaginative science fiction, recent scientific developments like cloning and stem cell therapy make it more viable in a much shorter long-term. No, we won't see genetic supermen rise up and conquer half of the world during the 1990s.....um, because it's 2012 and it didn't happen......

But in the Star Trek mythos, it did happen. While Abrams' movie timeline is the result of a skew via time-travel incursion from the future, the divergence happened when the Narada encountered the Kelvin, about two or three hundred years (give or take a few decades, accuracy isn't key here) after the Botany Bay left Earth. With Khan Noonien Singh on ice.

That being said, Khan only works as a great villain in Star Trek II because he feels he was betrayed by Kirk personally for nobody in Starfleet ever checking up on him and his colony in the years after the events of Space Seed's failed act of piracy. Chris Pine's Kirk has not yet met Khan, so there can be no desire for vendetta. A Benedict Cumberbatch Khan would, nay, must feel the same initial intrigue towards the 23rd century that Khan feels upon first being made a guest of the Enterprise in the TV episode.

If Abrams' Star Trek 2 (XII) uses the Khan character as a villain, they will have about an hour to establish why he wants revenge on Earth/Starfleet/Kirk, and then about 1-1.5 hours for Kirk to resolve it or set up Star Trek 3 (XIII). That's weak for the aforementioned reasons, plus Nemesis already used Shinzon to capitalize on the Khan premise: the villain of the story, who has gone nuts, wants revenge against our captain and his entire race for something that's not his fault but he is still being singled out for it.

Why do I bring up Shinzon? Because Nero was a near carbon copy of Shinzon. The missing parts padded by borrowing from Khan.

Get it? If we see Khan in this next movie, then -- I must assume -- it will mark the third consecutive time that a Star Trek film villain used the same basic plot structure for his motivation. Fourth overall if you include the original Khan template himself.

At least the vast majority of Trek villains had interesting premises.

TMP -- abandoned science project returns home to meet its master, or destroy it since nobody remembers how to communicate; a retread of an episodic plot but still vintage science fiction, Asimov would be proud

II -- Khan

III -- rogue Klingon wants to REALLY give Kirk a reason to hat Klingons, and capitalize on the weapon capabilities of Genesis, which is ultimately proven to be a failure anyways, except for resurrecting the galaxy's favorite Vulcan

IV -- environmentally aware take on the basic idea of TMP: an alien probe travels to Earth to fulfill a need to communicate

V -- rogue Vulcan wants to meet God, and rogue Klingon wants to kill God, er, William Shatner, er, Captain Kirk; ok, maybe this one is kinda like III

VI -- political thriller about the collapse of the Cold War (USA/USSR, Starfleet/Klingons, pick one) and the secret alliances that want to see the war continue

VII -- rogue El-Aurian blows up stars to reach nirvana/meet God/be God/whatever

VIII -- Borg, 'nuff said

IX -- Starfleet gets its hands caught in a messy alien civil war where the children return home to banish their parents and steal the farm, and villain is the chief alien

X -- Khan as a Romulan

XI -- Khan as a Romulan, take 2; Lore reject

XII -- Khan? Khan????

He dies at the end of the comic just like he did in the original pilot. So...

The new films take place before the timeframe of TOS....

These comics don't correspond to the TOS timeline. They occur between the two new Star Trek films. I think there was an explanation about Kirk immediately bringing Gary Mitchell onto the Enterprise after becoming captain. So Mitchell is definitely dead by the opening of Star Trek XII.

Yes and no. While the fears of genetic engineering on humans may be a 60s thing, firmly rooted in imaginative science fiction, recent scientific developments like cloning and stem cell therapy make it more viable in a much shorter long-term. No, we won't see genetic supermen rise up and conquer half of the world during the 1990s.....um, because it's 2012 and it didn't happen......

Of course. I don't know what the film will do, but the classic technophobia won't do. Compare with the Marvel Studios films, with characters like Captain America or Thor. It's better to be balanced and show that certain things aren't necessarily bad.

And yes, everybody was convinced they wouldn't use Khan because it seemed outrageous they just would go there again. The concept of creating a new timeline as an empty canvas was great, but what's the point if you do this in the new timeline?

Wow, just looked at the report. I've always told myself Kurtzman and Orci weren't hacks and were just disappointed by bad direction, but then they do this? :crymore:

What is it with the current generation of filmmakers that want to just redo things that have already been done. There's always room to take from the past and interpret it for a new generation with new ideas, but why just continue to do the same stories with the same characters over and over again. Now next year has Khan in Star Trek and Zod in Superman. Must be the 80s again. :shakehead:

I really liked the first film and was looking forward to a new interpretation, but now I don't know. The idea of the Klingons destroying the Botany Bay at the beginning of the film would have been the perfect way to show that the franchise wasn't just going to redo the old stories but I guess not.

:blush:

The biggest thing of all is that I'm not even a big Trekkie, yet this new just bugs the hell out of me. Hopefully we'll at least get another good score out of Giacchino with all of this.

I'm not a fan either and it also bugs me.

I think maybe, MAYBE, if they use Khan but come from a completely different angle... or Khan is awoken but they to tell a completely different story with him (wibbly wobbly, timey wimey due to the previous film), there being no place for the whole vengeance thing... then maybe this could work somehow?

Oh yes, that could work. Khan Noonien Singh is awoken from cryogenic deep sleep to become the door-to-door flower salesman of the galaxy.

Actually, since it's confirmed Klingons and Spock Prime are in the movie, it looks like they have a different kind of story to tell than a rehash of Space Seed.

Using that episode as a starting point, they could go in a very different direction with the story, and that couild make things very interesting.

BEHOLD! THE MILKY WAY GALAXY!!!

milky-way-galaxy1.jpg

Billions and billions of stars. Tens of thousands of inhabitable worlds...more if you're Borg or Breen, android or 8472. Thousands of races. Twelve Star Trek movies. Two Khans.

WHY MUST WE LIVE WITH SUCH SUCKY ODDS?????

:thumbup:

Magnificent words.

Last time we got the Enterprise navigating the atmosphere of Titan for like 30 seconds (I didn't know that ship was able to get into a planetary atmosphere but I digress. Also they got Titan's orbit wrong). Can you imagine how awesome would be to actually take the crew to two or three very different worlds like that one? To surprise the audience, to show the universe can have more to offer than glowing CGI jungles? And to do with their production values what Star Trek in the sixties had to avoid?

Actually, since it's confirmed Klingons and Spock Prime are in the movie, it looks like they have a different kind of story to tell than a rehash of Space Seed.

Using that episode as a starting point, they could go in a very different direction with the story, and that couild make things very interesting.

I thought Nimoy wasn't in it?

I thought Nimoy wasn't in it?

http://trekmovie.com/2012/04/30/major-star-trek-sequel-spoilers-confirmed/

well he's British, maybe Khan will say

Be Brave and ride a horse or have a blog written about him by his associate.

It's still being denied...

cumberkbanner.jpg

EDIT: I don't know what I've read. But I know that Cumberbatch will be a villain.

The finished concept poster. My brother and I will start work on a totally new design, and a bit less gory this time. ;)

FINALPOSTER-V8.jpg

Wow, GREAT work even though i am no Trekkie. It would be amazing if you create something in this style for Starwars or Game of Thrones ;)

It's deeply distrurbing

Distrurbing...? Have no idea what that is...

Wow, GREAT work even though i am no Trekkie. It would be amazing if you create something in this style for Starwars or Game of Thrones ;)

Thanks other Stefan..! ;)

There is no other Stefan! That is just another sign how disturbed you are!

You meant 'distrurbed' right...? ;)