Sabrina!

Brock Lovett

Lately I've been loving it. I've always enjoyed it. It's the perfect JW score to put me in a good mood on a rainy day (as I proved this week). It isn't JW top 10 material or anything like that, but it's a damn fine little romantic score.

I've even been playing the party scene, so there we have some additional source music that has made its way into my JW playlists.

The movie is not bad either. It's pretty much screwed since it's a remake of a classic starring Audrey Hepburn and Bogart. But I actually prefer Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear to Bogart and Holden in the original.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Sabrina's score pretty well. Nice, charming stuff; I enjoy Williams in that mode.

Then again, I enjoy Williams in pretty much any mode.

I saw the movie when it came out, but honestly, I don't remember much of anything about it except the score. From what I recall, I enjoyed it, but not to any large degree. Never seen the original, but Bogart trumps Ford in most regards, and Hepburn trumps Ormond in every regard, so I suspect I'd probably like it a bit more.

The score is absolutely gorgeous, IMO. Cues like "Growing up in Paris" are so rich and lush, I'd say they stand proudly amongst Williams' more popular works.

The remake is quite horrendous, esp. if you compare it with Billy Wilder's brilliant original.

But Williams' score is a real delight. The main theme stands out as one of his most elegant and refined melodies.

I can't help but think that probably JW had the lovely Audrey Hepburn in mind when he wrote it... :thumbup:

If you want to depart from the sound of Williams in bombastic full-orchestra mode*, a stunning score like Sabrina is certainly a good starting point.

(*I'm not saying it doesn't contain several passages for full orchestra.)

This score has always meant something special for me. The piano theme is really wonderfully romantic and neatly orchestrated. Also I love 'How Can I Remember?' and just the atmosphere and also the cover design of the album. Also I associate it with my high school time :)

I heard the theme live with the Boston Pops in 2008 Film Night.

I seriously dig this score. It's been getting daily plays. The first 15 seconds of "Sabrina and Linus Date" alone are everything I love about JW.

I heard the theme live with the Boston Pops in 2008 Film Night.

I seriously dig this score. It's been getting daily plays. The first 15 seconds of "Sabrina and Linus Date" alone are everything I love about JW.

Exactly :D

But it's bombastically Hollywood romantic!

It is also narcissistic, and insulting. Why does it need to take a Hollywood movie, which cost upwards of 60 million dollars, to come to the conclusion that money doesn't matter? To offer one man 10 million dollars to come on screen and spout all that trash about all his money being meaningless, boggles the mind. Why didn't the makers of the film just give the money to AIDS relief, or a cure for cancer, or something? Better still, why didn't they just dump the negative in the dumpster, where it belongs?!

I find it to be a nice romantic score. One of those you like to listen to when nothing is going on and you can just relax. The theme is very lovely.