The Pacific

QMM

The fanboy in me would have loved for Michael Giacchino to score this.

Every part of me would have loved MG to score this. It's a shame I'll have to wait ages to see the show unless I download it.

I think he knows that.

I believe he referring to the step down in talent from Kamen.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

It was alright. Production value is quite high, as can be expected, and some interesting themes have already been introduced into the story. The first episode had some major pacing issues though. No sure hit straight out of the gate, but it has definite potential.

I predict something similar happening as with Band of Brothers: it's likely to be quite difficult to figure out who's who, because the cast is mostly unknowns and they're all wearing the same army outfit. Subsequent viewings of Band of Brothers helped immensely with this. This might hamper The Pacific a bit as we go through the series' first run.

The one major difference I already felt with this episode is the dynamic between characters. In Band of Brothers, that's what they are; they are a group who eventually go on to do great things. In The Pacific, I don't get that same sense of comradeship that made Band of Brothers great. It's too early to judge the quality of the show, however, and I agree there's a few story lines going on that should make for some interesting stories. We're also seeing a bit of life in the USA during the war, which is another change of pace. Either way, I'll keep watching hoping for that Band of Brothers magic to strike again (which is hard to come by).

Well, the major theme of Band of Brothers was the bonding of men in difficult times and under hard circumstances. This runs throughout the entire series and informs a lot of creative choices made along the way.

In the first episode of The Pacific, this theme is mostly absent. Instead, the first episode dealt with the shift in values during a time of war (a young man disappointed he can't fight for his country, soldiers taunting an enemy after which one of the Americans kills the enemy soldier just to put him out of his misery) and shows how a dehumanized enemy turns out to be every bit as human as those young American men themselves are (the frustration by the Japanese soldier that realizes he has run into his death, the contents of the dead soldiers' bags). From the first episode, The Pacific seems much more interested in showing the life-changing effect of fighting in a war as brutal as the one in the South Pacific than exploring the friendships formed throughout the tour of duty.

Of course with just one episode aired, the ball's still up in the air, but these are just my two cents.

Now that I've actually seen it...I was less than rivited by most of it, but I liked the Sadler scene in the opening, and a bunch of the non-battle stuff on Guadalcanal. I wasn't sure if I was interested enough to see the second episode, but the last scene was nice enough for me.

It's funny that Joe Mazzello is in this. In BoB, one of the lost boys from Hook was cast (As Perconte). Different series, different actor who appeared in a Spielberg movie as a child.

Hans Zimmer seems to be doing a surprisingly good job, he did do Thin Red Line he's probably well fit.

I'm very interested in this production, I loved Band of Brothers, and The Pacific is essentially about the battle of Australia for the first few episodes, and later episodes will feature soldiers on recreation in Australia apparently. Guadalcanal is very close to us, and was an operation to take the airfield and protect the rear of the Australian army fighting in papua new guinea, which was an Australian colony back then.

There's a good Aussie war movie about this... What our boys were doing at the same time as guadalcanal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egdGJ7QLa-0

• 1 year later...

The Pacific:

Parts One and Two

So far I'm honestly not much of a fan. The characters are weak, and the battle sequences are visually boring. I almost fell asleep! Which is insane since it was like 5PM, I had to blink myself awake during the first nighttime assault. Only two particular scenes grabbed me in an emotional way. The first was when the main guy - I don't know his name, nor even know if he's the main guy - says goodbye to his father before he's deployed, and all he can do is complain about his car. The second is when the soldiers cruelly mess around with the last surviving Japanese soldier. It's pretty much straight out of The Thin Red Line, but as of this point none of them actually feel any psychological repercussions due to their inhumane actions. On an unrelated note, this has insanely high production values for a miniseries.

I have this all downloaded and ready to watch. Question though: Should I watch Band Of Brothers first, or are the two completely unrelated (story wise)?

Completely unrelated. I watched The Pacific and then Band of Brothers.

I'm not a fan of this series, for mostly reasons that Koray identified. It has some good moments, but it was just too long and drawn out for the material they had. And the music made zero impression on me. In fact I'd say the only thing The Pacific really has going for it is the truly stunning HD picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished up Part Eight.

This miniseries is terrible. It's a chore to get through, but just two more parts and I can be done with it. Unfortunate, since I still can't get over how high the production values are. I hope Band Of Brothers isn't like this.

I saw it this week.

Band of brothers was more enjoyable, but i think this one resonates more in your conscience.

I've always said that if there was any war that i would not mind have been called to action, was WWII. Fighting evil fascits and all. But this showed a rawness that left me rather 'depressed'-thinkful. It was a crude part of the war (well more crude that what they show you in the europe theater... this was like D-Day for operation overlord everytime they landed on one new island.

You really think about how all those young people suffered..and now the medal of honor games a am so fond of, dont look as fun.

Was it really like that? the people who fought in europe got more recognition than the ones that fought in the pacific? That's sad. Well at least the marines are regarded (at least in film) as the cream of the cream of US soldires.

What do you think, with my previous post?.

Ironically, i like my parliamentary monarchy and my red-yellow flag. No eagle in the coat of arms AT ALL, mind you.

The spanish civil war (or any civil war) is not thing to be proud of or 'want to have been there' thing. I suppose that if the allies had done the same as in the rest of europe, and spain had not been neutral or broken its neutralit, the civil war would have been another battle in WWII and i would see it with other eyes.

Finished it all.

Overall comments:

Don't abandon your main characters for 5 episodes straight. I spent the whole time wondering where the fuck Leckie and his friends were.

Don't have the twists and turns of a year long relationship occur over 2 days. "Hey I met you last night, guess we're living together and getting married. What's your name again?"

Don't have your second "main character" completely contradict himself in the last two episodes as opposed to the first two episodes he's in.

This was honestly one of the worst high-budget productions I've ever seen, if not the worst.

well it's based on real people, so it must have passed close to what they told.

I found the australian girl lecky fells in love with a little fresh. Did girls go inside your bed, when they just met you, with her parents on the other room, and in the '40s????

I expected him to return to australia and marry her, but i suppose that things went like that in real life. Not everything is a fairy tale i suppose.

What happened with this series is that it should have been longer. months past in between episodes, and they travel from island to island too fast.

This was honestly one of the worst high-budget productions I've ever seen, if not the worst.

It has great value showing young generations the cruelty and folishness of war. Even if this war was neccessary, noone left unscathed.

There are much better films that depict this. I too expect him to go back with the Australian chick, who was really from Italy. But instead he went with his neighbor who he hadn't spoken to for 5 years and they instantly got it on.

Like you said, it was too short. They tried to cram too much into too little time. The result was a highly improbable, unbelievable story.

There are much better films that depict this. I too expect him to go back with the Australian chick, who was really from Italy.

his family was from greece (in fact, izmir (turkey) a former greece territory i think) but she was born in australia.