Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

Sigh! That's why I put more stock in the apostle crocs, Steef!

Both directors wanted to make a movie that puts the viewer into the reality of space. Both wanted the audience to experience what it's like to be up there. Both directors also have put an emphasis on the natural hostility of space, reducing man, who has conquered Earth, to a mere helpless infant. Okay, in the end, Cuaron turns man into a victor while Kubrick thought humanity needed extraterrestrial help ... but still.

Alex

I don't think there anything superficial about it. The hostility of space (or as Kubrick calls it: "The indifference of space") is one of the most discussed themes of 2001: ASO. Also, wanting to make a movie that gives the viewer a close to real experience of being in space was a big thing for both directors. It's an important aspect of both movies which resulted in similar scenes.

Mad Men is still just a soap, like Dallas or Dynasty, better looking, a bit more sophisticated, but just a soap nonetheless.

If it is then it's probably the finest and most sophisticated soap of all time, alongside The Sopranos.

But hang on - don't soaps traditional revolve around a large number of characters of fairly equal importance? Mad Men focuses on Don Draper and The Sopranos is Tony Soprano's story. So do they really qualify as "soaps"? I don't think they do.

Isn't it obvious? I don't expect crocs, the bringer of truth, to be all that positive. It's going to be interesting to see discord in the Nolan camp.

If you bothered reading anything we've written about the film, you'd realize it wasn't all positive...

But does Alex take your opinion seriously, KK?

Meh. Does it matter?

And yes, there'll be personal bias in everyone's experience, including yours Alex.

Not since he deemed Jodie Foster's performance in Contact brilliant!

I never said that! I said she was hot in that film!

And she was good in the film, but wouldn't describe it as brilliant...

As if one's experience of a fucking film can be free of "personal bias."

Everyone has their own preferences naturally. But some go into the cinema with an agenda. Like you did I assume. You went in determined that this film would be AWESOME.

Isn't it obvious? I don't expect crocs, the bringer of truth, to be all that positive. It's going to be interesting to see discord in the Nolan camp.

I disagree, Karol loves Inception and he'll almost certainly bum this as well. He'll act all considered and pragmatic now that I've said this of course, but he'll be in love with it really.

Sure, I went in expecting a great film.

A good deal of it was great, but some of it isn't. It didn't turn out to be the more visual storytelling project that I had hoped would push forward Nolan to a different phase in his career (one where ambiguity takes preference over plot). But in the end, it was an experience I really enjoyed, and his most personal film yet.

I expect a 7/10 movie. An entertaining flick with some good but also a few bad moments. How do you like my 'precog' review?

Surely a man of your, err... intellect is familiar with the concept of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It didn't turn out to be the more visual storytelling project that I had hoped would push forward Nolan to a different phase in his career (one where ambiguity takes preference over plot).

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Surely a man of your, err... intellect is familiar with the concept of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Look who is talking!

As if one's experience of a fucking film can be free of "personal bias."

That's true. It's just I know this film is close to your heart, since it's a marriage of several things you're crazy about (Nolan/Zimmer/Chastain/Nolan/Chastain/Nolan/Astrophysics) and hell, you've even read the screenplay. It's a already a masterpiece in your mind, it can't fail.

Because of that I'm more interested in the take of a sceptical poster. Someone who isn't all already sold on it, hook, line, and sinker. A positive review from that person would draw my attention.

I have a feeling the third act will undo the film for most people here.

The "I could have done more" act?

The "I could have visited one more planet but I was selfish and wanted to go home to my daughter and now humanity has to settle for a puny planet with little resources' act?

Yeah, because the first two acts are actually really good (even with some minor blimps). It's an experience worth checking out, even for the Nolan cynics.

The "I could have done more" act?

The "I could have visited one more planet but I was selfish and wanted to go home to my daughter and now humanity has to settle for a puny planet with little resources' act?

No. It's more like the "let's explain everything so that the audience can understand how we tried to make everything come full circle" act.

The emotional stuff was actually well handled, and even moves you.

It's an exaggeration. There are two such "references."

The spinning ship is similar to the Orion station, but that's a stretch. And Cooper's own "Stargate" trip, which bears a similarity to Bowman's for all of a few seconds.

It's an exaggeration. There are two such "references."

The spinning ship is similar to the Orion station, but that's a stretch. And Cooper's own "Stargate" trip, which bears a similarity to Bowman's for all of a few seconds.

Oh, i thought maybe it was more.

Anyway, in 22 hours I'll be watching the film..

Hope I don't sleep. (I slept at Transformers)

This review kind of sums up how I felt about the movie pretty well:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20141107-film-review-interstellar

This one, less so, but it brings up a good point about Hathaway's character:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/11/interstellar-a-preposterous-epic/382478/2/

Both basically agree that despite the film's faults is definitely a movie worth seeing.

You spend money to see movies and let yourself fall asleep during them?

well, I don't spend any since I rarely go to the cinema the last years.

I have gone 4 times in the last 4 years. (Inception, Super 8, Prometheus, Tintin)

Transformers is the only movie I fell asleep. The CGI, the loudness and the constant action, made me sleep. (I lost the whole battle in the end. How i could sleep in all that loudness is admirable)

I have gone 4 times in the last 4 years. (Inception, Super 8, Prometheus, Tintin)

What made you decide to skip Gravity?

What made you decide to skip Gravity?

Hmmm...Nothing specific.. I just had a hunch that it's not a film that I'd like to pay to see (the 3D was expensive and I prefered to buy 2 Blurays at that price) and generally it fell in the general view I have that I don't like recent films and I like older better.

When I saw it at home, my views were confirmed.

Now, why am I going to see Interstellar? As I've said in another post, mostly for the company (I've become more social in the last months or so), but i think I've regretted it already..

Oh, I've also seen The Tree of Life, so that's 5 films in 4 years.

The only film now I'm really really looking forward to see, is Voyage of Time in 2016.

Inception is from 2010, so it's older than everything else you're talking about (Super 8, Tree of Life, and Tintin from 2011, Prometheus from 2012)

Inception is from 2010, so it's older than everything else you're talking about (Super 8, Tree of Life, and Tintin from 2011, Prometheus from 2012)

yes, that's why I said 5 movies in 4 years.

Oh, it's 5 years then, right? (2010-2014)

It's a very good film, you should definitely see it on the big screen if you can.

I will watch it in a V-max screen, that I read is the biggest in Europe. (though i doubt it).

It's certainly a different to what I expected. But also feels like a familiar territory for Nolan in other respects. As far as comparisons go, I would say it's neither Kubrick nor Inception. More of a Solaris by Steven Soderbergh.

Will try to put together a more coherent review over the weekend. Maybe watch the film again, even. We'll see.

Karol

Yes, I will.

What I will say here, however, is that I'm actually impressed with Zimmer's score. Not overbearing and often subtle. And not over-spotted as well. Well done, Hans!

Karol