The most exotic music, from John Williams

Quintus

'Brutal' is a spot on description of much of ESB's action music. The writing is brutal and so are the performances - the very best kind of brutal. How he ties it all together with the numerous melodies and motifs downright takes the piss - it's SERIOUSLY good and the very epitome of movie scoring craft. I spend much of my time listening to tracks like The Asteroid Field simply shaking my head in disbelief, sometimes my eyes well up as a result of the goosebumps, I even have a little chuckle to myself - fantastic stuff.

I can't help but imagine Goldsmith's reaction to the score. I like to think that he felt at the time like Williams was rubbing his nose in it :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you can come to enjoy these scores someday, Koray. They're mindblowingly good. :P

Yeah, "brutal" is a good word for the Hoth battle music. It has those wonderful heroic moments in it, but there's a lot of tension and a real sense that the bad guys are winning. The transitions between sections are flawless, the use of both new motifs and existing leitmotifs is perfect, and the ending is just so...spacelike! Everything about these cues just tells us exactly what's happening onscreen in a way that's musically brilliant and doesn't resort to overuse of Mickey Mousing.

Dang it, now I want to listen to it too! :P

EDIT: Dang. This music is freaking formidable.

I love that the battle of Hoth is almost anti-melodic, if that makes sense. It has that 'dah-dah-dah-der-der-der-der-der' riff which I love, and it's a really brutal way of doing it. It's got so much of an amazing sense of tension though, I mean you know Wedge is going to bring down the walker, but the way JW presents the nick-of-time is-he-gonna-do-it? moment as the speeder is circling is just sublime. But ESB has so much amazing tension, like in 'Hyperspace' when the Falcon is trying to get away from the Executor. It's chillingly good.

"The Battle of Hoth" is probably my favorite action piece from ESB. It's just so big, Wagnerian, and like you said, brutal. Course it doesn't hurt that it scores one of the best action scenes in the whole series.

One of my favourite pieces from Empire and from the Star Wars music as a whole is the small string passge used just before the Falcon floats away with the garbage.

Those strings and the rich, juicy brass chord that follows are just absolutely gorgeous ....it doesn't hurt either that the Han & Leia variation that comes in afterwards is just marvellous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPeGDmbfnnY&feature=related

I can't help but imagine Goldsmith's reaction to the score. I like to think that he felt at the time like Williams was rubbing his nose in it :P

I'm sure Jerry Goldmsith would have lamented the lack of a cohesive, unified style.

I can't help but imagine Goldsmith's reaction to the score. I like to think that he felt at the time like Williams was rubbing his nose in it :P

I'm sure Jerry Goldmsith would have lamented the lack of a cohesive, unified style.

Sorry Stefan, you may not like it but from beginning to end, the music of Empire is one of the most cohesive and unified works for film.

That's just the way it is mate :P

Sorry Stefan, you may not like it but from beginning to end, the music of Empire is one of the most cohesive and unified works for film.

That's just the way it is mate :P

You obviously lack the holy sanctification of our filmmusic deity, the all-knowing Professor Hobgood. Become a scholar and you'll understand..and learn!

Why thematic unity reigns supreme!

You obviously lack the holy sanctification of our filmmusic deity, the all-knowing Professor Hobgood. Become a scholar and you'll understand..and learn!

Ha ha, I'm very well aware of the Hobgood, who just happens to be in my top 3 all times fakers who really know nothing about what they claim to ...maybe in the top 2 even!

I imagine ...no actually I'm convinced that about 85% of a score like Empire just goes way over his head as he seems only to be able to hear themes when they're presented in all out glory, he definitely needs to be spoon fed his music.

Ha ha, I'm very well aware of the Hobgood, who just happens to be in my top 3 all times fakers who really know nothing about what they claim to ...maybe in the top 2 even!

I imagine ...no actually I'm convinced that about 85% of a score like Empire just goes way over his head as he seems only to be able to hear themes when they're presented in all out glory, he definitely needs to be spoon fed his music.

Empire is an abject failure as a film score because it has too many themes. Goldsmith's genius was in his brilliant theme-and-variations approach -- the only appropriate way to score a traditional narrative film like Empire.

Empire is an abject failure as a film score because it has too many themes. Goldsmith's genius was in his brilliant theme-and-variations approach -- the only appropriate way to score a traditional narrative film like Empire.

I know man, I know .....but what can I say, I'm a sucker for abject failures :P

I know man, I know .....but what can I say, I'm a sucker for abject failures :P

So sorry to see that you're so uncool, bro. :P

So sorry to see that you're so uncool, bro. :P

Ha, no sweat bro ....but I'll be playa one day dammit!

(and no, not the beach variety :P)

I took the chance and read some of those old threads at FSM...man, this is some heavy shit there. :P

THOR/HOBGOOD BATTLE PART 3461

It's even more amusing today with scores like CLASH OF THE TITANS being the gold standard now.

For some more masochistic fun, take a look at the old DANIEL2 threads at moviemusic.com

I can't help but imagine Goldsmith's reaction to the score. I like to think that he felt at the time like Williams was rubbing his nose in it :mrgreen:

Williams' TESB destroys anything Goldsmith ever wrote.

An . . . abject . . . failure. Fascinating take. I couldn't possibly disagree more, but to each his own. . . . :blink:

- Uni

I might get socked in the mouth for this, but why the need to have music at all? Why not let the drama of the scene play without music? I'm not talking about any particular scene, but there is far, far too much nusic in the prequels, and not enough straight drama.

I might get socked in the mouth for this, but why the need to have music at all? Why not let the drama of the scene play without music? I'm not talking about any particular scene, but there is far, far too much nusic in the prequels, and not enough straight drama.

Yes, this has been discussed many times before. Falls under "filler" music.

I'll ask Williams when I see him tomorrow about it. :blink:

Yes, this has been discussed many times before. Falls under "filler" music.

I'll ask Williams when I see him tomorrow about it. ;)

Don't bother. I asked him yesternight and he told me to sod off.

:blink:

I'll ask Williams when I see him tomorrow about it.
Don't bother. I asked him yesternight and he told me to sod off.
How could you when he was at my house?

beingjohnwilliams.jpg

:blink:

Might be because Mark O will see JW tomorrow in Fort Worth, TX.

Well I hope to get close enough to shake his hand and get a picture but I'm not counting on it.