Upcoming book on Williams (German language)

TownerFan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Die vorliegende Studie zeichnet an allen bislang für Spielberg realisierten Scores im Detail nach, wie dessen Bilder mit Williams’ Musik interagieren. Als ein zentrales Merkmal der kompositorischen Arbeit lassen sich verschiedene Motivbausteine ausmachen, die Williams für einzelne Standardsituationen entwickelt hat und je nach Genre variiert. Die Arbeit wurde 2008 mit dem Preis der Johannes Gutenberg-Universität ausgezeichnet. Das Werk ist Teil der Reihe Filmstudien, Band 57"

"The study at hand illustrates in detail, how all of the scores Williams conceived for Spielberg interact with his images. As a central characteristic of the compositional work, you can detect various motivic building blocks that Willias developed for certain standard situations, and which vary according to the genre.

The work was decorated with the prize of the Johannes Gutenberg university in 2008. It is part of the series "Film Studies", volume 57."

Wow, the German language in this summary could hardly sound more sophisticated... I doubt that the book is addressed to the general public... Have fun with google translate :P

Here are the contents that I found mentioned in a forum:

Vorbemerkungen

Williams' Zusammenarbeit mit Spielberg

Musikalischer Werdegang

Zur Kooperation mit Steven Spielberg

Funktionen von Filmmusik

Deskriptive Qualitäten

Affektsteuerung

Repräsentation von Erinnerungen

Strukturierung

Kommentierung

Musik im filmischen Raum

Detailanalysen zu Jaws und E.T.

Jaws

Anmerkungen zum musikalischen Material

Analyse des Films

Ergebnisse

E.T.

siehe Jaws

Science-Fiction-Film

Close Encounters

A.I.

Minority Report

War Of The World

Jurassic Park

The Lost World

Abenteuerfilm

Indiana Jones Triologie (jeweils einzeln betrachtet)

Hook

Historiendrama

Empire Of The Sun

Schindler's List

Amistad

Saving Private Ryan

Munich

Komödie

Catch Me If You Can

The Terminal

Liebesfilm

Always

Road-Movie

The Sugarland Express

Schlussbemerkungen

Literatur

Zugrunde liegende DVD-Fassungen

Register der Filme und Serien

Personenregister

Sachregister

Register der Standardsituationen

I am conversant in German, but I doubt I will get this.

For one thing, I don't think that there's anything in this book that we don't know already.

For one thing, I don't think that there's anything in this book that we don't know already.

Probably you are right but don't you think it will be nice to have all of it together in a printed format, instead of the various pages and forums on the internet?! :D

I've bought it and waiting for it in the following week. I'll tell you what it looks like (if it has written examples, academic music analysis etc.) when i see it..

You speak german? ;)

I've bought it and waiting for it in the following week. I'll tell you what it looks like (if it has written examples, academic music analysis etc.) when i see it..

You speak german? ;)

Haha. no.. but since I'm doing my Ph.D on Williams i thought i should have this, and see if it has any music examples along with analyses.

plus, i will be able to translate the parts i think are most important by online translators.

Probably you are right but don't you think it will be nice to have all of it together in a printed format, instead of the various pages and forums on the internet?! :P

Well... maybe.

But I wonder why we haven't seen any such book in English? ;)

• 8 months later...

Very good! This book analyses his film scores and his concert works. From the university of Vienna.

I will buy it.

Are these books just published PhD Master Thesis?

I think that's very likely, yes. Either copied verbatim or adapted somewhat to make it less scholarly.