What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I have to disagree on contrived feel. I find many of his smaller scores (Koray mentioned good examples above) much more emotionally engaging compared to his big action or horror works.

I understand where you're getting at, because there are some of his more straightforward harmonic works that suffer from that. But I think you'd like some of his other gems. Have you heard Bless the Child by any chance?

Bless the Child although in parts engaging and effective (the interpolation of near-liturgical vocal sections for example) but on the whole it feels a bit unfocused. I also do not like the way he compiled that album as those suites are so obviously made up of so many different cues they don't feel all that natural in their flow to me.

What have you listened from him?

Everything suggested here and more....

Just not for me I guess!

Murder in the First !!! It's bloody brilliant.

I also love Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II and The Fly II. All of these scores have excellent themes.

I like SM3, Young does everything right, good themes, loyalty to established franchise sound, etc. But for some reason I still prefer SM2.

TGP, at least. I'm sure he prefers The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Parts, yeah.

But if hard pressed I'd have to say Unbreakable is the best superhero score of the past 15 years.

I like it, actually. After watching the film it became quite clear those are more about sound design integration, rather than being purely musical elements. There are a few moments when the two are one and the same. Although, it's not the best score has to offer. And the best bits with Electro's material are the first 3 minutes in the suite version (disc 2, track 1).

From what I understand,Zimmer wanted to create a soundscape that would mirror of what kids of Peter's age would be listening too. If you think about it, being a bit cheap and unrefined fits this concept like a glove. Might be a failed experiment but an interesting one.

As for a Copland nod, it actually might be intentional. Fanfare for a Common Spider. ;)

Karol

I suppose it lacks the stylistic flair of Elfman's, Zimmer's and even Horner's efforts. It's more of a standard approach. But it makes up for it with it's almost operatic scale.

Would anyone really disagree?

I find Spider-Man 3 incredibly generic. Give me any of Zimmer's superhero scores over it.

That's actually another way of putting my issue with Young's music. It lacks character. It's proficient and fairly colorful but it doesn't manage to be its own thing.

POTC 2 - Hans Zimmer

G.u.i.l.t.y. P.l.e.a.s.u.r.e.

Nah. Just pleasure!

POTC 2 - Hans Zimmer

Nah. Just pleasure!

Yeah, its might actually be my favorite of the three...er four, even though AWE is more up my alley.

Nice to see some praise for Zimmer's TAS:2.

Would anyone really disagree?

I find Spider-Man 3 incredibly generic. Give me any of Zimmer's superhero scores over it.

That's actually another way of putting my issue with Young's music. It lacks character. It's proficient and fairly colorful but it doesn't manage to be its own thing.

POTC 2 - Hans Zimmer

G.u.i.l.t.y. P.l.e.a.s.u.r.e.

Nah. Just pleasure!

*Shakes head*

You went too far, Grey one.

Creation by Christopher Young

The last time I listened to this score was about 3 years ago, and for some reason I dismissed it in favour of The Shipping News and haven't visited it since. But with all the Young debate, and Incanus' constant praise for this score (he sure brings it up a lot), I decided to check it out again.

Beautiful stuff. Clearly inspired by The Village, but expertly done. Perhaps Young's harmonic language is more suited for smaller dramatic projects like this than his usual grand scale horror stuff. Lovely string writing here with some real colour. Surprised TGP didn't enjoy this one as much.

Young wasn't too subtle with hiding his influences with this cue though was he? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRx1zN-tp6k

Still, enjoyed it all the same.

Thanks Inky for reminding me to check this out again.

Yeah I get where you're coming from. I feel the exact same way about Giacchino. Sometimes Young too (never was too impressed with Drag Me to Hell or Priest), but a good deal of his scores are worth defending like this one.

Creation by Christopher Young

The last time I listened to this score was about 3 years ago, and for some reason I dismissed it in favour of The Shipping News and haven't visited it since. But with all the Young debate, and Incanus' constant praise for this score (he sure brings it up a lot), I decided to check it out again.

Beautiful stuff. Clearly inspired by The Village, but expertly done. Perhaps Young's harmonic language is more suited for smaller dramatic projects like this than his usual grand scale horror stuff. Lovely string writing here with some real colour. Surprised TGP didn't enjoy this one as much.

Young wasn't too subtle with hiding his influences with this cue though was he? ;)

Still, enjoyed it all the same.

Thanks Inky for reminding me to check this out again.

Hey at least he aknowledged his influences very clearly with Partly Pärt! ;)

But I am glad my constant nagging got you to listen to the score.

I suspect he also did some kind of homage to Christopher Gunning in the Cunning Gunning (as there is no such character in the film) although I have not heard the composer's concert works enough to spot the piece he was refering to.