Fanfare For Ten-Years-Old (Video of Piano arrangement)

pete

I just stumbled upon this video and I don't recall it being mentioned here.

So if not, here then is perhaps your chance to hear this little gem for the first time:

And the same pianist has recorded a lot of other Williams works as well as pieces by other film composers. I'll be spending most of the day exploring them...

http://www.youtube.com/user/PSearPianist

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely "Fanfare For Ten Years Old", not "Fanfare For Ten Year Olds", lol.

It has been mentioned before, but it was buried in another thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19073&view=findpost&p=651328

It's definitely "Fanfare For Ten Years Old", not "Fanfare For Ten Year Olds", lol.

Thanks for the clarification! I always thought it was Fanfare For Ten-Year-Olds, as in a fanfare for children.

You're welcome Thor, it was certainly a nice surprise for me when I stumbled upon it.

... And I'm guessing it really is "Fanfare for Ten-Year-Olds". Not only because it's more musical sounding English, but also because I believe the Young Charleston Theater Company, for whom it was written, is a children's theater company (although I could be wrong). Secondly, the music is obviously Williams being festive in a "childish" manner; it's purposely simplistic and "innocent", wholly different from his celebratory pieces written for a more "general" audience, and from what he would have likely written, were he to musically celebrate an "adult" institution (i.e. "Theme for Great Performances", etc.).

I can't really find anything on that theater company. I thought it was written for a tenth anniversary. Or at least I read that on one of the JW fansites. So it's either a fanfare celebrating ten years for that company or a fanfare for ten year olds. Or both.

Nice! I have the same sheet music. It's in the piano book titled:

"John Williams Fanfares And Themes". It has a solid blue cover.

The pianist does an excellent job. I haven't attempted that particular

piece myself, I am still trying to learn "The Mission Theme From NBC News"

(from the same book). Oh, and the title listed in the book really is:

"Fanfare For Ten-Year-Olds", just as Marcus seems to have figured out.

This book may still be in-print. It's copyright 1989 from Warner Bros. Pub.

If anyone wants, I can probably put a scan of the cover up (but it's just plain blue).

Thanks for posting this video.

it's one of 3 Williams fanfares that don't have a orchestral recording (bootleg or legit)that I know about

also

Fanfare for Prince Philip

Fanfare for Michael Dukakis

it's one of 3 Williams fanfares that don't have a orchestral recording (bootleg or legit)that I know about

also

That was the next thing I was going to check myself. No recordings at all?

I know that Williams conducted this fanfare for at least one Pops Esplanade concert for the 4th.

I watched and heard it on TV. It's been a bunch of years though and my memory,,, what did I just say?

also

Isn't "Celebration Fanfare" unreleased too?

also

Isn't "Celebration Fanfare" unreleased too?

Well maybe that was a clue that it isn't... ?

When I first clicked on the thread, I thought that was John Williams at the piano.

Me too, and I'm surprised it took 16 posts for someone to mention it. In fact, I was fairly certain it was him for at least a few seconds and I was like "What a find!!"