What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

In 2015 I will continue to dismiss and disregard video games as a passtime suitable for anyone ever 19 and in possession of an IQ with consisting of more then 2 numbers.

So by stating that we will get a whole year free of Steef-posts in this topic? Sounds good to me. :yes:

Alien Isolation is pretty much one of the most faithful games based on a film. I'd love to see a story DLC that improves the rushed ending we get in the main game. But it smells of sequel, so that's good.

Rushed ending? Wasn't one of its main critiques that it dragged on forever?

The Wolf Among Us

This was only $20 on disc so I picked it up for the PS4. It essentially takes everything Telltale tried to do in The Walking Dead and made it work. A friend described it to me awhile back but I had completely forgot what it was about until I started playing. Aside from being endlessly immersive and atmospheric, the plot itself is really interesting and well executed. A classic noir thriller acted out by fable characters trying to make a living in inner city Bronx, all while maintaining the cover of a mundane human being. You play the Bid Bad Wolf, the appointed sheriff of the Fabletown community, and are more or less responsible for their well being. There are the likes of The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Icabod Crane, Tweedle Dee and Dum, etc.

Alien Isolation is pretty much one of the most faithful games based on a film. I'd love to see a story DLC that improves the rushed ending we get in the main game. But it smells of sequel, so that's good.

Rushed ending? Wasn't one of its main critiques that it dragged on forever?

I never felt it dragged on... I instantly loved the atmosphere, stealthy gameplay, attention to detail and exploration of the space station so essentially I was very happy with the game's length.

What I mean by rushed is

you encounter the alien in a cutscene followed by a terribly easy quicktime event, another short cliffhanger cutscene, and fade to black. This felt terribly anti-climactic after such a stellar gaming experience.

Lately, I've been splitting my time between 3 games; Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor, and The Last of Us. DA:I is definitely growing on me, I'm really digging the exploration feature of the game which is a major step up from the awful and constrained environments of DA2. Shadow of Mordor has great combat and an interesting new boss system but its starting to get a little tiresome. I really like the more "on the rails" parts of The Last of Us but the stealth and combat is frustrating.

My 'me time' is still completely ruled by Destiny. I'm level 31.5 (the current cap is 32) and the combat/grind/loot loop still has me utterly hooked.

KK, Destiny vets will tell you that the game only gets good once you hit level 20, and they would be right. It's at that point that players either unreservedly accept the design and systems of what the game is about or they reject them and begin to look elsewhere. It's marmite like that.

Of course, vets would also tell you that the game only becomes really good once you hit level 26 and become Raid ready.

Destiny is ultimately about grinding the Raids once a week and hoping for the exotics to drop courtesy of the RNG Gods. Seeing that yellow colour spin onto the right side of the screen is gaming crystal meth as manufactured by Walter White.

It's a hugely flawed title, but still my GotY.

Gear obsolescence was indeed a bitter pill to swallow at the time of the DLC drop and many players including myself took very badly to it. But never being an MMORPG player before now, I came to learn that apparently that is the complete norm in those sorts of games whenever new content is introduced. I'm okay with it now, and I can see why it works the way it does. Us console peasant players simply weren't prepared for that sort of progression design. And Bungie did at least provide ways for us to keep our hard earned exotics relevant by letting us upgrade them to the new damage levels; I am told World of Warcraft bins EVERYTHING procured by players upon each expansion, so by comparison Destiny isn't quite as cruel.

It's my understanding that Bungie are experimenting with different ways of keeping the most coveted and precious gear relevant moving forward. They've proven they are very responsive to feedback, which I appreciate in a dev.

Again, you either buy into these systems or you don't. Plenty don't, plenty do.

There are a TON of RPGs going to or already on the PC, which aren't mobile unless you play tablet or laptop on the subway, as opposed to a phone on the pooper. But I can't help you with the PS4. I thought the next generation consoles were dream destinations for game developers.

Great, all the RPG's are going to mobile gaming and online FPS shooters to consoles

There's almost nothing going to the PS4

You should get a Vita. Tons of Japanese games on there. Speaking of which, I've recently been craving to play it after having not touched it for months. I recently picked up Killzone Mercenary, DanganRonpa 2, and Freedom Wars.

RPG's that are exclusive to the PC don't bother me, it's always been that way and at least they cater to the real gamers

It's the tablet/mobile gaming that bothers me. It's a clear downgrade from consoles/PC any way you look at it..and touch controls...urgh

And also most of the JRPG's that DO make it to the PS3 seem to have a lower budget than the ones made for the PS Vita. A lot of those I played have PS2 era graphics (with no camera control in the environments) and only a handful had current gen graphics ( FFXIII, Tales of Xillia ,Nino Kuni , Infinite Undiscovery and a few others)

yay more depressing news of wasted ressources to the subway casual gamers. Fuck iphones and tablets

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/2439.html

This is great news, thanks for linking. I'll probably buy it.

There's almost nothing going to the PS4

Cancel your order mate, there's still time.

Started with Killzone: Shadow Fall on the PS4.

Stunning visuals... seriously jaw-dropping from a technical standpoint. But the game itself feels a bit soulless. Gone are the awesome death animations and lovely weighty feel of movement. Instead we get frustrating level design and an annoying robot companion that helps you in firefights... Why would a soldier from the future equipped with the most advanced weapons need a tiny robot companion to help him out of tricky situations? It makes the gameplay a bit more interesting you could say, but at the same time less intense and unpredictable. Killzone 2 is for me one of the best FPS'es made for console. Every design element came together wonderfully well. Combat, movement, stealth, the cover system, enemy A.I., multiplayer. All topnotch. The campaign is badass, with good characters and supported by a very film-like emotive score by Joris De Man. Compared to Killzone 2 Shadow Fall falls a bit short in every department, except for the graphics of course.

I'm only three levels in but this already doesn't feel as good at what came before, I'm speaking about the solo campaign here. At least the multiplayer seems well thought with more objectives per round and botzone is always fun in these games. It's actually my preferred mode of play... dependent on the difficulty of bot I choose, they're all at the same level, so no superhuman players here, which is much less frustrating for me.

I'll see how it goes on the solo front. It's not bad of course, far from it. Just something not there.

I have the same feeling about Far Cry 4 actually.

Killzone has kinda gone downhill. The first wasn't even close to the "Halo killer" that Sony hyped it up to be, but I still loved it. I didn't know anyone else that bought it, but my friend and I would play offline multiplayer with the (very smart) bots endlessly. Great fun.

Then Killzone 2 came around and blew everyone away. The controls were a bit too clunky in that one, for me, but I still enjoyed it. 3 was kind of a letdown, with an absolutely horrendous campaign; and while Shadow Fall is a bit of a step up from that, it's still very much lacking.

I'm currently playing Killzone Mercenary for the Vita, and it's better than Shadow Fall.

Killzone has kinda gone downhill. The first wasn't even close to the "Halo killer" that Sony hyped it up to be, but I still loved it. I didn't know anyone else that bought it, but my friend and I would play offline multiplayer with the (very smart) bots endlessly. Great fun.

Then Killzone 2 came around and blew everyone away. The controls were a bit too clunky in that one, for me, but I still enjoyed it. 3 was kind of a letdown, with an absolutely horrendous campaign; and while Shadow Fall is a bit of a step up from that, it's still very much lacking.

I'm currently playing Killzone Mercenary for the Vita, and it's better than Shadow Fall.

I actually like KZ3 a lot. The campaign wasn't as brilliant as that from its predecessor, but I still had a good time with it. And jetpacks man, jetpacks... those are cool.

And the controls are either love it or hate it. Some people can't stand the so-called lag, to me it feels fantastic and was the best in the second game. Sad Guerilla Games didn't replicate that feel in Shadow Fall.

I'm enjoying The Last of Us. It has decent characterization and the atmosphere is very good. The combat is frustrating (by design, most likely) which would be fine if they didn't force it into nearly every level. I had the same problem with Far Cry 3. Video Games have progressed enough not to need constant gunfights and action. Gustavo Santolalla's score is exactly what I expected it to be; boring, nondescript guitar twanging mixed with some semi-decent atmospheric droning. I'd have love to have seen what his contemporaries would have done with it

Still a really good game.

Progressed? From what and to what? Naughty Dog makes 3rd person shooters that double as extremely well written and executed stories. There are plenty of breather moments in the game where exploration is encouraged and characters are fleshed out.

I'm just saying that there should be more breathing room.

Felt perfectly balanced to me, but then except for a few moments I didn't have real trouble with the combat.

The score has its function, being supportive and atmosphere-enhancing, so in that way it's rather good. Not something I'd listen to away from the game though.

The game struck a good balance between breathing room and gameplay action. Anymore "breathing room" and it would have been more a movie than a video game!

I'm not a big Santoalalalala fan, but the score was perfect for the game, and was essential for the experience.

Yes it's good... it's brilliant even. But expect to get 2 hours out of it if you play casually. That's 2 hours of brilliance.

It's more a sort of prequel focusing on Ellie and her friend.

I thought it sealed Ellie as one of the best written characters in gaming. It's split between flashbacks of how she got bitten and the time between Fall and Winter in the main campaign.

Essential? Maybe not, but it was like the perfect dessert after a great meal. It was a bit more character focused over gameplay, but goddamn if that final battle isn't harder than anything in Joel's story. Playing on Survivor, mind you.

The score is more or less reduced to variations of the main theme in game, but hearing all the nuances and intricate rhythms and details in Santaolalla's music on its own is just as satisfying for me. There's some terrifying industrial style stuff in there, particularly with the Hunter and Infected motifs.

I never finished my Grounded+ play through on PS4, but I played this game so many times in the past 2 years that I need some time away from it in order to go back. Multiplayer is one of the best I've ever played.

The game is growing on me. I'm in the part with the (forgive me) black people and watching the character interaction and exploring the abandoned neighborhood is a true delight. Gustavo's score is even getting better.

I enjoyed the gameplay and linear design from start to finish to be honest. Some games do linear 'funnelling' narrative very well, like Valve and their Half-Life games.

The ending is very well-constructed and intelligent. It just left a very sour taste in my mouth and it didn't really match up with the character's arcs (in my opinion, of course).
I hope they release a sequel soon. They could go to many different places with the story