What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

There's a slim edition PS4?

KM, when playing The Last of Us I highly recommend turning 'Listen' mode OFF.

It's a third person shooter but I feel like you would be able to appreciate it.

That's the worst description of the game I ever heard.

How does Sid Meier's Civilization V played for somebody who is new to RTS games.

Civ V is turn based strategy, not real time strategy. While I stopped with Civ IV, my first turn based strategy was Civ II so you should be fine. The big difference about V is that it adopts a hex based board like a tank game instead of the standard grid of the past games.

Civ V is turn based strategy, not real time strategy. While I stopped with Civ IV, my first turn based strategy was Civ II so you should be fine. The big difference about V is that it adopts a hex based board like a tank game instead of the standard grid of the past games.

It's not for me.

I just picked up Endless Legend on the Steam Sale but I haven't played it yet. Also got Sins Rebellion for the Star Trek Armada 3 mod. Both of those are real time, but what they call 4X. RTS like Starcraft and Age of Empires series are just normal 4X.

There's a slim edition PS4?

KM, when playing The Last of Us I highly recommend turning 'Listen' mode OFF.

It's a third person shooter but I feel like you would be able to appreciate it.

That's the worst description of the game I ever heard.
It wasn't a description of the game.

You made it sound like Gears of War.

Depending on the mode one chooses, there's relatively very little shooting in The Last of Us.

Third person adventure is how I'd better describe it.

Third person shooter defines the mechanics rather well. Sure it puts the game in the same category as any GTA game after 3, but if someone has a hangup with third person, they'll stop right there. At least Skyrim had a toggle.

Do they call Tomb Raider a third person shooter? No they don't. Yet there's a SHITLOAD of shooting in it.

Even on easy difficulty there's still less shooting in The Last of Us than there is in the last Tomb Raider game. On the two highest difficulty tiers there is, as I said, relatively little shooting - certainly not enough for it to be labelled a "shooter".

I don't know anyone who calls Uncharted a third person shooter, either.

Third person shooters:

Gears of War.

War for Cybertron

Binary Domain

The Club

Vanquish

Third person shooter defines the mechanics rather well. Sure it puts the game in the same category as any GTA game after 3, but if someone has a hangup with third person, they'll stop right there. At least Skyrim had a toggle.

This is wrong. True third person shooters have considerably tighter shooting/aiming mechanics than the likes of Skyrim and GTA to the extent that the distinction when in the hands is immediately tangible. Even games which feature fairly competent shooting gameplay such as Uncharted or The Last of Us are still no match for the slick precision you find in something like Gears of War or Vanquish - titles where the mechanical action of aiming and shooting is honed to feel like the pinnacle of third person shooting and which the rest of the mechanics (cover, traversal) are completely built around. The same could never be said about GTA or Skyrim.

Do they call Tomb Raider a third person shooter? No they don't. Yet there's a SHITLOAD of shooting in it.

Even on easy difficulty there's still less shooting in The Last of Us than there is in the last Tomb Raider game. On the two highest difficulty tiers there is, as I said, relatively little shooting - certainly not enough for it to be labelled a "shooter".

I don't know anyone who calls Uncharted a third person shooter, either.

Third person shooters:

Gears of War.

War for Cybertron

Binary Domain

The Club

Vanquish

This is wrong. True third person shooters have considerably tighter shooting/aiming mechanics than the likes of Skyrim and GTA to the extent that the distinction when in the hands is immediately tangible. Even games which feature fairly competent shooting gameplay such as Uncharted or The Last of Us are still no match for the slick precision you find in something like Gears of War or Vanquish - titles where the mechanical action of aiming and shooting is honed to feel like the pinnacle of third person shooting and which the rest of the mechanics (cover, traversal) are completely built around. The same could never be said about GTA or Skyrim.

How tight the mechanics are is irrelevant, they're third person shooters. The game is in third person and you shoot a lot of stuff. This is like calling Killzone a first person action game because its mechanics aren't as fluid as COD.

Speaking of The Last Of Us, however, I am going through my Grounded+ play through. Took me a good hour to 90 minutes to beat that section with David and the clickers. God almighty.

How tight the mechanics are is irrelevant, they're third person shooters.

No, you are categorically wrong, and stubborn with it, which makes you look daft. Let's see if I can help you to understand the basic difference between the terms 'genre' and 'sub-genre', Koray:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_of_Us

The Last of Us is an action-adventure survival horror video game

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_V

Grand Theft Auto V is an open world, action-adventure video game

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(2013_video_game)

Tomb Raider is a 2013 action-adventure video game

Still with me? Right, here's the third person shooters:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_War

Gears of War is a 2006 military science fiction third-person shooter video game

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_Domain

Binary Domain is a third-person shooter video game

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanquish_(video_game)

Vanquish is a third-person shooter video game

Do you see there's a general accepted distinction? Good. Hope you found my guide helpful.

The game is in third person and you shoot a lot of stuff

NbryA79.jpg

Unbelievable:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rarest-ps4-on-the-planet-now-up-for-auction/1100-6424844/

Anyways the fact they used the current model to make ultimate collector PS4 may mean they don't plan on changing designs soon. I'll be worthless once a nifty "slim version" comes out

Grim Fandango Remastered was released today and seems to be getting rave reviews. I asked Peter McConnell on Twitter what the chances for a soundtrack release are. He favourited the tweet but didn't reply... I'll be optimistic and take that as a positive sign.

Grim Fandango Remastered was released today and seems to be getting rave reviews. I asked Peter McConnell on Twitter what the chances for a soundtrack release are. He favourited the tweet but didn't reply... I'll be optimistic and take that as a positive sign.

I orchestrated it! Glad it was released and my unbiased opinion is that the music rocks! It is for large orchestra. I didn't realize it would be released so soon but woohoo!

PS4 all set up to play Dragon Age Inquisition

I did have to make a basic PSN account (not the PSNplus so I can't play online) to get the game patches and redeem the code for Last of US. Sony better not get hacked again

With the PS3 the game updates were automatic just going in but now it seems a manual option

I also had to fiddle around in the menus to get Optical 5.1 Dolby Digital. Heck even the xbox360 detects that automatically

Also I got scared while trying out the Blu Ray drive. I was looking at the opening of Raiders and when the tarantula creep on Satipo there's some weird blurriness. I thought it may be the disk drive may be defective but it also does that on my PS3 so is something wrong with the mastering of this film?

I got a Niko charging base and plan to get an extra controller so I always have one charged. I hate playing with the wire

Fuck, Best Buy is offering a free PSN+year with that PS4 bundle this week

They told me where I bought it they would adjust any deals I find elsewhere for the next month. I'll threaten to return the console if they don't (I also have a month to do that)

Just imagine all that stealth monitoring software that's been downloaded to KM's system as he connected it to the internet. Sony is watching him play.

I find it strange I had to go online to "activate" the BluRay player

Turns out I already had a free PSN+ year code on my bill...they never told me when I bought it

I'll activate it when I find something I want to play online...FFXIV maybe

I orchestrated it! Glad it was released and my unbiased opinion is that the music rocks! It is for large orchestra. I didn't realize it would be released so soon but woohoo!

Cool! I've been a big fan of the game and score ever since it first came out. I didn't pick up the soundtrack album back then because ordering online and international shipping were still new, expensive and scary to me, and now it's of course long out of print. Very much hoping for a release of the new recording.

With the PS3 the game updates were automatic just going in but now it seems a manual option

Does that mean they finally no longer force me to wait for half an hour for it to update whenever I have friends over and just want to quickly play a game with them?

Probably

That's a good thing then.

Game updates are automatic but you can still play the game while they download.

And over half an hour? Get faster internet! ;)

It has improved I think, but sometimes the PS store was so slow, it often really didn't make sense to start an update. Later I simply disconnected the PS3 before starting a game so it wouldn't notice that updates are pending.

Perhaps the European stores didn't scale well. Or perhaps just the German one; might be that the slowness stopped when I switched to a UK account (because I got most of my games from the UK).

No you're right. After they made the huge overhaul in the way the store looks it was nightmarishly slow on PS3. It would take me 3 minutes just for it to load up. Such a deterrent that I actually stopped going in there to buy stuff. Thankfully they added the store online and on PS4 it's seamless.

KM, go to notifications and scroll to downloads to see everything that's been downloaded. It usually pops up when you load a game to let you know an update is being downloaded in the background.

ah ok.

Ok, so my console connects to the internet fine (wired connection) and the Test says the connection is fine and I can download updates fine and all the online functions work EXCEPT the web browser gives me a "cannot display page error" and check my router settings and something about ports, call my ISP for support blablabla.... WTF, this type of thing shouldn't happen in 2015

Why would everything work except the browser?

Does the web browser just goes down sometimes for no reason?

i don't plan to use it but in "testing" my console I look for whatever glitches for no reason.And I'm not sure what's at fault here. Maybe I'll work tommorow

Wow I figured out the PS4 webbrowser

It greets you with an error message "page can't be displayed" (that says to test your connection or call your ISP) but it's because there's no home page (or missing today for whatever reason). I have to skip that page then I I have a small window on the top right corner where I can type an URL and search the web (that works). I can then make bookmarks that but I haven't figured how to make a home page (if you even can).

This has got to be the worst designed piece of shit browser ever

And so far I also absolutely hate the "Options" button on the PS4 controller, It's flush with the surface and I have trouble finding it all the time because I can't feel it. And you have to use it in games