What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

it's mostly FPS shooters and sports games anyways.

The only RPG's are Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 and those will be on the PS4

Well, The Witcher 3 looks pretty amazing, huh, KM.

Witcher 2 was one of the most boring RPG's I played though

At least if my xsbox360 breaks and I still have games to play they haven't discontinued it

Yeah but this one is open world instead of that linear Dragon's Age tedium of the previous games.

the levels in witcher 2 were even more restrictive than Dragon Age. But the main flaw was the boring story

PS4 is $399, and has zero restrictions for used games and no online requirements.

Sony already won the generation.

I pre-ordered 2 consoles on Amazon, and an Xbox One for the hell of it. Although I don't think this gen will have problems meeting demand, if it eventually goes the same route I'll sell the extras off for some serious money.

wow, Sony crushed the xboxone already.

It's basically over for me. I'll get a PS4 and NO xboxone EVER, and I doubt Microsoft exclusives will be important RPG's . Koray your encouraging a terrible business model

I don't need to pre-order. I don't plan to get one in the first 6 months it's on sale. I also suspect there will be a shortage of PS4's

But why? Preordering is nothing but a hype tool which is only EVER worthwhile when the purchaser is granted extra bonuses for doing so. Even then it's still dubious.

Capitalist sheep!

But why? Preordering is nothing but a hype tool which is only EVER worthwhile when the purchaser is granted extra bonuses for doing so. Even then it's still dubious.

Capitalist sheep!

Sticking tongue out at you

Capitalist sheep!

No, pre-ordering is worthwhile because it guarantees you a copy of something on Day 1. Do you remember how hard it was to find a PS3 last gen?

No. I wasn't in a hurry for one.

Preordering is easier to justify for hot gadgetry - if it guarantees day one ownership, but for games only it's materialistic muppetry orchestrated by the publishers who will think up any gimmicky crap to secure a sale from the gullible whom are ready to be convinced that compact discs are being rationed.

That I can agree with, but for me it's always a matter of "I'm going to get it on release day."

Amazon's pre-ordering is like ordering any other product because you're never charged until the item ships. Only brick and mortar retailers require down payments.

Just woke up and read the headlines from the Sony conference.

CHECK MATE.

The subscription requirement for playing online bothers me. I only use my PS3 every few months, and have played Uncharted 3 with a friend for a couple of weeks last year, but other than that I basically don't use online play at all.

Not an issue for me in the slightest there Marian. I've been paying MS forty a year to to play online for the past eight years. Worth every penny imo.

If a fee enables Sony to match the vastly superior Xbox Live infrastructure then I'm all for it. Factor in the regular freebies and it gets even more appealing.

Much more excited about Final Fantasy 15 than anything Microsoft announced

I was 99% sure Sony was going to go with DRM or anti used game tactics too, only slightly less worse maybe. I could not understand why Microsoft would do this unilaterally , especially because EA games are released on multiform and they were probably the ones pushing for the restrictions Microsoft put on their console

Now the XboxOne MUST fail hard, to give them the message that people want to own their media and not have to authenticate it online every time they use it. The xboxone is my worst fear realized if such a system was applied to music, so it has to be stopped dead in it's track before they implement more crap like this into the next Windows for other media.

The wikipedia page for Final Fantasy 15: "Its concept is a heavy departure from other installments in the Final Fantasy series, providing a darker and more realistic atmosphere that focuses on human emotions and believable characters"

WTF?

Maybe just that the game world will be more grimy and photo realistic. JRPG's tend to always have bright colors and ramp up the "cute" factor

Just woke up and read the headlines from the Sony conference.

CHECK MATE.

The subscription requirement for playing online bothers me. I only use my PS3 every few months, and have played Uncharted 3 with a friend for a couple of weeks last year, but other than that I basically don't use online play at all.

But if you basically don't use online play then you don't need to purchase PS+.

Similar to Lee, I've already been a member so it's a nonissue, and even when you factor it in, the system comes up $100 cheaper since Live is require for Xbox. I thought it was hilarious that the first two free games for Live were Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3. 4 year old games everyone has already played, way to go guys!

Not to mention PS+ gets you consistent free games, early betas, and one hour game trials and discounts. So much more value for your money.

As for FFXV, the trailer looked like it wasn't a JRPG at all. I thought it looked good and didn't realize it was Final Fantasy at first.

Not an issue for me in the slightest there Marian. I've been paying MS forty a year to to play online for the past eight years. Worth every penny imo.

If you use it, yes. I'm sure it's perfectly fine for hardcore gamers, but what are occasional gamers like me supposed to do? Get a regular subscription which I'm going to use only twice a year?

Except that apparently then I can't play online *at all*.

The free stuff is fine - again for hardcore gamers. Me, I'm not even playing through half of the games I buy, so what would I do with all the additional material?

They'll possibly cater to your demographic accordingly, like MS already does - where it's possible to purchase short term subscriptions at a fraction of the price. Heck, I've even bought instant 48hr online codes for £2 on eBay for my little brother in the past. It's no biggie.

The wikipedia page for Final Fantasy 15: "Its concept is a heavy departure from other installments in the Final Fantasy series, providing a darker and more realistic atmosphere that focuses on human emotions and believable characters"

WTF?

Good. This series has always been too much "happy-go-lucky" for its own good.

If you use it, yes. I'm sure it's perfectly fine for hardcore gamers, but what are occasional gamers like me supposed to do? Get a regular subscription which I'm going to use only twice a year?

Except that apparently then I can't play online *at all*.

The free stuff is fine - again for hardcore gamers. Me, I'm not even playing through half of the games I buy, so what would I do with all the additional material?

They sell 3 month subscriptions for $17.99

They also have bundles that include bonuses like 30 days free, etc. You should be fine. But then again if you only want 6 months out of the year it'll cost you almost as much as a full subscription.

My biggest disappointment is that there was no news about The Last Guardian. I have been looking forward to that game for a long time and I was expecting announcements about it this year. The reveal that the PS4 will require Playstation Plus for online multiplayer unlike the PS3 was a bummer but that service is such a great deal that paying 50 bucks a year for it is justified. The same cannot be said of Xbox Live,

Sony has essentially already won the console war. Microsoft has botched their new system and Sony has succeeded by simply not being them.

Nintendo had a decent showing with the slew of games, but it still wasn't quite enough for me to go out and immediately get a Wii U. That purchase is still a ways away for me. But I do think it's time to get a 3DS.

Yeah I was hoping The Last Guardian was the ace up their sleeve for PS4. Apparently Jack Tretton said recently that the development is on hiatus, which pretty much means it's dead.

A shame, I would have liked Sony to bite the bullet on production costs in the name of artistic merit. Team ICO produces 'once in a generation' games that truly redefine what a video game can be.

In an interview filmed prior to Microsoft’s E3 2013 press briefing and published onGameTrailers, Microsoft’s Don Mattrick has addressed concerns about the compulsory connectivity requirements of Xbox One.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick.

“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

Source

To me the issue is not about requiring an internet connection. It's more specifically the check every 24 hours DRM that's the deal breaker and to a lesser extent the Kinect.

I might considered adding a router to permanently connect my console if it had no DRM restrictions on games.

My issue is with the second hand games/lending/DRM policy.

That's pretty much my main issue with the console as well. It's even more stupid than Online Passes, which EA wisely ditched recently.

Microsoft is just handling the fan reception so ridiculously in the wrong manner that it's been truly shocking. VP's spitting out that it's going to sell 1 billion units, this guy being a smart ass and telling people not to buy their product. It's just one giant clusterfuck of poor advertising and PR. I have yet to see anyone be truly excited for this system.

There's nothing attractive about the system, not now. What I'm going to do is look at it again, its policies and ecosystem, when Halo comes out a year later. In the meantime I'll be perfectly satisfied with the Sony system. But if MS are still being dicks, I'll be staying put.

I still don't understand what target audience they're going after with this system.

I figure the "regular Joes" who play a bit of CoD and Madden and watch football with the guys on Sundays (I picture Doug from "King of Queens" in my head) . But these are the people who likely don't meet the Internet requirements, can't afford the fees or or will stick to the 360 instead of buying a new console.

Or maybe 10 year old brats who'll pester their parents to buy it without even looking into the DRM/used games issues. But a lot of kids like trading their games with friends...

Or maybe they're looking for the same blind devotion that Apple fanatics have when a new ipad comes out. By reading the gaming message boards I don't think this is happening

In this gen I bought 75% of my games for the xbox360 and only the exclusives I wanted for the PS3. And I'm ditching Microsoft with no hesitation now. I bet I'm not the only one.

Well all the power cut off so my PS3 shut down mid-game. I had not made any manual saves and in those situations files can get corrupted. I had to restore the system upon turning it on. Luckily everything was in tact.

As for the game, I'm unhappy to say that I'm a bit disappointed. Then again my expectations were extremely high. A perfect game this is not. The story is engaging despite being entirely predictable and done in the past (think Children Of Men, I Am Legend, and The Road all rolled into one), and the voice acting is perfect... but the gameplay isn't very engaging in the same way Uncharted is. Things feel a little bit sluggish, and it's quite menacing in its difficulty (playing on Hard). At least at the start, but I think I'm starting to get more comfortable with it and it's definitely more fun once you acquire more weapons and upgrades.

Don't want to make it seem like it's a bad game, because it is very good. The Naughty Dog touch is rampant in their attention to detail and nuance with their designs, atmosphere, and storytelling. The prologue has been the best part so far, though.

You don't have a UPS system for your home entertainment stuff and computer? Gotta get on that!