What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

The Last Remnant is £1.99 on GMG. Would I like it?

it's a turn based/strategy JRPG, and the battle system has a very high learning curve

It's very "hard core" and very difficult to master (not in a Dark Souls kind of way though) but it's one of the best (and most difficult) JRPG's I played

I'd like you to buy it and stick with it until you get it and tell me what you think

Beating some bosses in this game you feel great satisfaction, but I read some reviewers some people might just give up. Some strings of battle can go on for over an hour without being able to save, and if you fail you lose all the progress (and it's the type of battles where a boss can one-hit kill all your party if you make the slightest mistake or plain unlucky)

I wouldn't say grinding is the key in this game but there always a bit of it if you really can't get past an area

It's one of the deepest battle systems with new things to discover until the end of the game

And contrary to Ni No Kuni, this one does not hold your hand. You can miss side quests if you don't speak to the exact person at the right moment in the game, and directions are very cryptic and vague. Your on your own . But there's a sense of wonder and discovery that's hard to match

this is a good review of it:

http://www.gamespot.com/the-last-remnant/reviews/the-last-remnant-review-6206443/

Okay nice one, that review sold me. Plus I actually ended up paying just £1.60 for it thanks to a discount code, so even if the battle system does turn out to be as intimidatingly complex and off-putting as it sounds I can't really moan that I've wasted my money ;)

It's encouraging that the pc version is supposed to be much improved over the old Xbox one, too.

I had installed mine to the xbox360 hard drive and it had several patches when I played it, so it played fine even on the console

Try not to give up on it. In general JRPG's get very epic when you get in the last 1/3 of the game and it's worth putting the effort to get to the end

It's hard to see in the beginning because you only get limited access to the battle system and features and "special moves" add on as you advance in the story and level up. This is true for most JRPG's too

I'm going through Mass Effect 3 right now after having finished the previous two in the trilogy pack. It's a really good, surprisingly in depth series. If you get the trilogy pack I recommend getting it on PS3 because it comes with a lot of the DLC.

I'm deciding what's my next game

Mass Effect 3, Dead Island or Dishonored

If you go for Dead Island, it's important that you switch to Analogue controls in the options. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do you can add 10% to your final review score. Unfortunately for the critics, they stuck with the rubbish Digital defaults. Oh and don't waste your time looking for an actual plot - think Borderlands 2 with melee combat and you won't go wrong.

I had a look at The Last Remnant last night. 'Fought' some battle in the intro, didn't have a clue what just happened or how I apparently won, before finally arriving at the first town. The game is very dated visually, but I'll give it a bit of a chance. It's the impenetrable combat mechanics which are putting me off more than anything else. We'll see.

Dead Island is a combat game, but even its deep combat system can't save it from the horrendous mediocrity that the rest of the game is. Ubiquitous fetch quests, terrible graphics, and some of the worst writing you'll find in games.

It was worth it for "Who do you voodoo, bitch?" though :P

I'll probably pick up Riptide if it gets cheap enough before the PS4 hits.

Mass Effect 3 is good, Dishonored is good enough for a play through. I wouldn't recommend doing what I did in that one though.

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs since it was put out for free for PS+. It's a carbon copy of PS2 GTA but it's fun as hell in the same way. Don't expect current gen standards and you'll have a good time.

I'm interested in Metro: Last Light, but definitely don't want to pay full price, especially with The Last Of Us right around the corner.

Dead Island was an absolute gem of a game. Rough as fuck around the edges, but still a very playable, very pretty open world zombie fan's dream.

Dead Island is a combat game, but even its deep combat system can't save it from the horrendous mediocrity that the rest of the game is. Ubiquitous fetch quests, terrible graphics, and some of the worst writing you'll find in games.

So first you say this stuff (I agree about the fetch quests and writing btw)

I'll probably pick up Riptide if it gets cheap enough

And then you followed it up with that. What the fuck planet do you live on?! Is it called Planet Muppet?

I'm interested in Metro: Last Light, but definitely don't want to pay full price.

I've put about four hours into it. Very surprisingly the biggest disappointment this year. It's a really boring stealth game with LOADS of AI handholding. I haven't been able to pick it back up after leaving it last week, and I'm wondering if I'll bother.

. It's the impenetrable combat mechanics which are putting me off more than anything else. We'll see.

I think I read the instruction manual at least 3 times .It's VERY COOL once you "get it"

All those combat decisions... you begin to know how to influence the outcome of the battle after a while.

Dead Island was an absolute gem of a game. Rough as fuck around the edges, but still a very playable, very pretty open world zombie fan's dream.

So first you say this stuff (I agree about the fetch quests and writing btw)

I'll probably pick up Riptide if it gets cheap enough

And then you followed it up with that. What the fuck planet do you live on?! Is it called Planet Muppet?

If only to see if they improved any of it. They somehow figured out the key component of the game, but failed with the easy stuff. My biggest gripe was that it was not tailored for anything but 4-player co-op. I was the Asian chic and the entire first 8 hours of my game I was alone scrounging and surviving. It was a great atmosphere, but then when I finally get a cut scene all of a sudden there are 3 other people that were supposed to have been with me that whole time. It was so jarring.

Microsoft still hasn't come clean about the DRM scheme of the XboxOne

I know why I already hate it so much, it's like my worse fears realized if they somehow successfully applied such a system to music. It's another warning sign not to use Cloud based systems

Welcome to the modern era. Most PC games have used DRM for years. Anything on Steam can't be resold or transferred unless you share account passwords. And most games today use Steam or worse DRM methods. It's only the older games or hacked versions that don't. With the shift of console games from discs to online downloads, this was inevitable.

Bought the Humble Bundle. Some highly rated indie titles on there, well worth having.

Steam is fucking awesome. NOTHING comes close to it. There's value for money; and then there's Steam VALUE for money.

Has Black Crown been mentioned here yet?

Sounds like an interesting concept, by a book company of all things. Reminds me a little of Dear Esther.

[...] Black Crown is a strange blend of interactive fiction and a classic choose-your-own-adventure novel. It's also incredibly disturbing: Your character will regularly undergo bizarre tests dictated by a shadowy corporation, which will have you dealing with everything from mutilated pigs to a constantly changing outfit. In the world of Black Crown, reality is in flux, so you never quite know who or what to trust. This all makes for a thoroughly enjoyable mystery, at least early on, and additional story elements will roll out over time to keep you reading. It's also a game that comes from an unusually traditional source: book publisher Random House UK.

“You never really know what's going on”

The game begins with an interview. You'll be asked a series of questions, presumably to help the game get a sense of your personality, and then you'll be thrust into a number of odd predicaments, each also apparently a part of the interview. At each screen you'll be given several actions to choose from, and new ones will often open up the more you explore. You'll gather items as the game seems to collect information about your personality and performance, but what exactly this information means and what it's used for is unclear. The thing about Black Crown is that you never really know what's going on, though this just adds to the mystery: There's obviously something going on at the Widsith Institute, and the strangeness makes figuring it out all the more enticing. [...]

That sounds interesting. Very interesting, actually. The website is confusing though. I assume it's a browser game? So I'll get a link to start the game if I log in? Also the micropayment smallprint sounds like a minus.

New Double Fine Kickstarter

Sounds interesting at least. Not sure how well a round based strategy game will fare nowadays... but I'll probably back with $50 just for the documentaries. Judging by 2PP's documentaries for the adventure Kickstarter, they should be absolutely worth that.

I still can't work out if Activision were having a laugh with that trailer. "Truly round objects and realistic arm hair."

I hope they were having a laugh, because their next gen CoD engine doesn't even look as good as this generation's Battlefield 3. I'm not a CoD player and even I was disappointed.

I started Mass Effect 3 and having the class dilemma.

I picked soldier even though I generally don't like just shooting. I felt like trying some class with biotic powers but I played the first 2 games a soldier.

Me too, but I always intended to try a biotic (who are supposed to be the most interesting gameplay wise.

I'm playing Resident Evil 6 and Grid 2 (pc versions).

Gonna buy The Last of Us, my final current gen console release.

Well , it's confirmed the XboxOne is the worst case scenario

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/microsoft-details-xbox-one-used-games-always-online

I'm upset because I have to figure out how I'll keep gaming without selling my soul or breaking the bank (like building a gaming PC) .I so wish I could be excited over the new consoles instead it's figuring out which will be the least worst option

What's wrong with the PS4 in that regard? Admittedly it's a subject they haven't really talked about, but I'm sure all of that will clear up on the 10th. I actually like the fact that you can give your games to a friend, of course a better version of this was already in place on PS3 though. If you partner up with someone you trust you can save a lot of money by alternating game purchases.

I like to think that an expensive gaming PC is offset by the cheaper cost of games, which typically start $10 below console versions and drop in price much quicker. Not to mention, Steam and other game distributors always offer ridiculously cheap bundles. You just might have to wait a few months to a year to enjoy the discount, which doesn't bother me.

That's funny you think that PC gaming would drive you to always want the best hardware, because you've already accepted hardware that became obsolete with respect to PC hardware six years ago, yet remains the standard until X1 and PS4 arrive. At some point, constant PC upgrades aren't worth the cost and rebuild hassle, just for some extra resolution and fps. And the kinds of games you play, when ported to PC, support gamepads. So being turned off by keyboards is an antiquated reason.

I built my system in 2008 to handle Fallout 3. It handles Crysis and Skyrim just fine, though Skyrim like all Bethesda games is very glitchy. New Vegas is incompatible with the hardware I selected while in Windows 7,which is the gamble of PC gaming. Some configurations just don't work. I blame my video card, which I am planning to replace once the 780 line pushes the 670 cards below $300. The Arkham games play gorgeously with a 360 gamepad, even with GFWL and Steam together. I don't think I've touched any newer games than those.

I've accepted it because I can't really do anything about it. If I have the ability to configure something I'd probably want to. There's also just a lack of great games that appeal to me on a PC set up that I can't also play on a console. I need my glorious PS exclusives. Not to mention the community that I've come to love on the PSN. I still play with the people I met 8 years ago on Resistance: Fall Of Man.

All of the great games I've wanted to play have been multi format since getting my pc - where they are vastly prettier and a lot cheaper (on relatively modest hardware). I haven't bought a PS3 exclusive since Killzone 3. However, I've purchased an absolute stack of gems which are only available on pc. It's a no brainer.

I bought a PC in 2003 and added a graphics card to play Doom3 but I could only play in super low rez because the graphics card was already semi-obsolete
(but still an expensive one), plus there was memory usage issues and I had to configure Windows XP using some 50 page geek guide to turn off this and that process and go through every Windows option. The next year Oblivion came out and it wouldn't run at all so I bought another 400$ graphics card. I could play it but had to "optimize" the game using an online guide too and turn off most cool graphics option. Oblivion would only run properly on the latest 1000$ graphics card .That's the last PC game I played

In other words, I never managed to make a PC play games as it's intended.I could only afford something that was a step behind and could not play the new games at all

Maybe now it's changed and middle of the road hardware can play the latest games fine but back then it was a nightmare

Back to Mass Effect 3.

What I don't like in this game is the invisible walls in the scenery and lack of maps making it hard to explore or not knowing where you can go exactly. And you have to explore to find the hidden guns and upgrade pieces at the same time as your fighting enemies. I find myself looking for stuff on the ground at the same time as enemies are shooting at me. Or you have a sequence where you have to run and feel like you missing stuff to explore

I went off the hassles of pc gaming at pretty much the same time as you, KM. I did the whole LOD texture modding etc in Oblivion as well. That was possibly the last pc game I played before upgrading to an Xbox 360.

Returning to the platform nearly a decade later, I was very pleasantly surprised to see the numerous pc ecosystems had grown into supremely user friendly, console-alike experiences. Steam really is as good as the hype, it's marketplace and ease of use is truly unparalleled - even compared to the already slick console alternatives. Then there's the astonishing sales...

This is all while played with my wired Xbox controller which always works out if the box, just by plugging it in. PC titles are setup for it by default now, it's great.

Nah, PC gaming has moved on quite a bit since the fiddly Oblivion days.

/Still getting a PS4 nonetheless.

I don't like this thing about Mass Effect 3 where your "War Assets" are capped at 50% in single player. I hope you can still beat the game without playing multiplayer or buying DLC's

And my choice is already made for the PS4 even if they add some form of DRM too. In the past few weeks Microsoft and the xboxOne has managed to piss me off so much I don't want it by principle

Oh and I'm still paranoid about a always connected camera and microphone in my living room right?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/07/report-uk-prism-gchq/

I don't like this thing about Mass Effect 3 where your "War Assets" are capped at 50% in single player. I hope you can still beat the game without playing multiplayer or buying DLC's

You can win, but maybe not with an ideal outcome.

I'll try to do every sidequests but it feels like the game is gimped unless you purchase DLC's

I just got my fish back. lol. Too bad Kelly doesn't want to join the crew again

I remember picking locks or hacking terminals in previous games...what happened to all that

Doesn't matter, you still have to go through a slew of settings to get it right, which you probably have to change each time you play a game

So it will probably end up being "on by default" because of the hassle of turning it off

That's just your wild assumption.

I'm excited for the Sony E3 conference tonight. Hopefully I'll be home from work in time to catch it from the start.

So MS ditches their point system and actually gives you more than just access to your own internet connection for $50 a year. :P Way to catch up to Sony.

$499 and coming in November.

Well, The Witcher 3 looks pretty amazing, huh, KM.

Interesting to see Respawn's long awaited CoD followup is exclusive to the Xbox. And it looks really, really slick. CoD meets Crysis meets Mirror's Edge.

And then there was the potential game of the show in Spark. A game which lets you make your own games, beautifully so. The RPG stuff in it was just awesome. Oh and Dead Rising 3 looks BRILLIANT.

Meanwhile, somehow BF4 seems to look as good as the PC version whilst still managing a 1080p @60fps clip. That's pretty astonishing from a so-called underpowered system. Maybe this next gen shit isn't as clear cut as it seems? The 'closed box' nature of console games development could actually mean we're due to be impressed much more than we have speculated. Because some of the visuals on show here I found hugely impressive. That's coming from someone who has been playing the latest PC titles.

Damn it, my buying decisions just got complicated again. Probably just have to get both systems again.

It's the only way to be sure.