What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I know that. UPS = Uninterupted Power Supply. IE, a box with a giant battery in it that has plugs for you to plug things into. Specifically, things you don't want have their power taken away from them suddenly such as your computer and expensive electronics. We have two - one in the office that my computer, home server, router, and cable modem are plugged into, and one in the living room that my WDLive, TV, Blu Ray, and DVD player are plugged into. So if the power flickers, all those electronics will continue to consistently receive steady power regardless, and if the power goes out entirely you will have time to (save your game and) gracefully shut them down before the batteries run out of juice.

They cost like $100 - more than worth it.

Well, I don't think a power outage is worse than accidentally turning off the console in the middle of a game, or the console crashing or freezing and you have to turn it off manually (which happens quite often on the xbox360)

Well I've finished Mass Effect 3.

Like others I'm a bit disappointed by the endings

Edit: I had to watch "extended endings" on you tube?

As for the game, I'm unhappy to say that I'm a bit disappointed. Then again my expectations were extremely high. A perfect game this is not. The story is engaging despite being entirely predictable and done in the past (think Children Of Men, I Am Legend, and The Road all rolled into one), and the voice acting is perfect... but the gameplay isn't very engaging in the same way Uncharted is. Things feel a little bit sluggish, and it's quite menacing in its difficulty (playing on Hard). At least at the start, but I think I'm starting to get more comfortable with it and it's definitely more fun once you acquire more weapons and upgrades.

The rough combat was entirely done that way by design. It is meant to be a gritty, ugly, and believable experience and not necessarily a fun one. I've found the gameplay to be very engaging and tense as it should be. I love the fact that the game does not really reward you in combat; it's always a drain on resources which are invaluable and it never feels really like a victory when you kill a person or zombie. That is due in part to the uncomfortable violence as well as the great writing and A.I. that work to make the human opponents feel more like actual people. I've never played a game before that's made me feel bad about killing (and the necessity of it in this world) quite like The Last of Us does.

As for the game, I'm unhappy to say that I'm a bit disappointed. Then again my expectations were extremely high. A perfect game this is not. The story is engaging despite being entirely predictable and done in the past (think Children Of Men, I Am Legend, and The Road all rolled into one), and the voice acting is perfect... but the gameplay isn't very engaging in the same way Uncharted is. Things feel a little bit sluggish, and it's quite menacing in its difficulty (playing on Hard). At least at the start, but I think I'm starting to get more comfortable with it and it's definitely more fun once you acquire more weapons and upgrades.

The rough combat was entirely done that way by design. It is meant to be a gritty, ugly, and believable experience and not necessarily a fun one. I've found the gameplay to be very engaging and tense as it should be. I love the fact that the game does not really reward you in combat; it's always a drain on resources which are invaluable and it never feels really like a victory when you kill a person or zombie. That is due in part to the uncomfortable violence as well as the great writing and A.I. that work to make the human opponents feel more like actual people. I've never played a game before that's made me feel bad about killing (and the necessity of it in this world) quite like The Last of Us does.

Oh I know, and I completely agree. It's just that the combat isn't very interesting. Video games are always meant to be fun, there's no point in playing if you're not enjoying it. The game shines when you're traversing through this post-apocalyptic world. The art direction is superb. Santaolalla's theme is great and the sparse scoring is effective. The kills are brutal and drawn out and resource depleting, this was all evident from the first E3 demo and I applauded it then, and I still do now. It simply feels like a key ingredient is missing for me to make it perfect, though I'm not exactly sure what it is.

It'll still probably end up on my list of top games for this generation.

Oh I know, and I completely agree. It's just that the combat isn't very interesting. Video games are always meant to be fun, there's no point in playing if you're not enjoying it. The game shines when you're traversing through this post-apocalyptic world. The art direction is superb. Santaolalla's theme is great and the sparse scoring is effective. The kills are brutal and drawn out and resource depleting, this was all evident from the first E3 demo and I applauded it then, and I still do now. It simply feels like a key ingredient is missing for me to make it perfect, though I'm not exactly sure what it is.

It'll still probably end up on my list of top games for this generation.

It depends on the game. I would say there's a bit of a difference between fun and engagement/satisfaction, and while I wouldn't ascribe the former to The Last of Us I certainly would the latter. It's a heavily narrative-based game which affords it the ability to have artistic expression in the way that a game based solely on gameplay, like Tetris, wouldn't. Some people take issue with this distinction but for me games have the potential to have the level of expression as films, books, or any other medium does. And that makes a game that is not, by design, fun still a game.

Part of the problem is the moniker that video games have. When one says "game" it implies fun, toy-like connotations but I find that limiting. Comic books had a similar problem for a long time but eventually they gained respect as a legitimate art form and part of that process was coming up with "graphic novels" which meant the same thing but sounded more sophisticated.

I didn't mean to belittle video games by using the word 'fun.' Trust me, I've been a long-time supporter of games as a legitimate art form. Naughty Dog is probably my favorite developer when it comes to player immersion, but after playing The Last Of Us more extensively I think I've pinpointed my issues with it.

When I said the combat wasn't as fun or engaging as I had hoped, it was because of the sparse arsenal at your disposal. But also because I was still getting a feeling for the controls. A lot of that goes out the window as you progress and 'level up.' That's all the more evident when

Joel is injured and you start playing as Ellie. Losing access to all my weapons and gadgets sucks. I'm still on this part of the game now. Hoping to finish it up soon.

The main problem I have though is with the polish. The game just doesn't look as good as it should. There's a lot of popping in with textures, jagged edges and some slight screen tearing. Not to mention the fairly long loading time. I can understand that drop considering it's less on rails and more open for your exploring leisure, but that doesn't stop there. It's the NPCs that really piss me off. These people that tag along do nothing but get in your way and cause problems. You'll be sneaking as quietly as possible through a clusterfuck of clickers and all of a sudden someone will come stomping through as loudly as possible and then block my exit and thus getting me killed. I've had Ellie be doing some random glitchy stuff in a cutscene during a pivotal moment. I've had characters for some reason stop following me and disappear and reappear latter on when I've gone to a new area. It's stuff like that which really throws me out of the experience. I can't imagine what this game was like before the 8 month delay.

Wow Koray, that's an interesting post (I haven't bought the game yet). Not a single review I've read mentions any of those issues, but I too am very sensitive to the same sort of gameplay design misgivings which might negatively impact the overall experience. I'm disappointed you mentioned the jaggies as well, because coming from pc has really made me realise how a lack of anti aliasing can unfortunately make a game be a lot less aesthetically polished as it should have been. Which is curious here because I read their FXAA solution did a pretty good job smoothing edges in general.

What about Red Rabbit, did you encounter the problems Koray has?

Wondering whether to just rent it instead.

I don't notice tearing and texture pop up.

The only thing that bothers me are games that use low resolution textures when they could have done better (Dragon Age...) .Because it affect how the whole environment looks

I'm the other way around actually. I'll take lower res textures if it allows spare bandwidth for smoother edges and cleaner surfaces. Hopefully though these trade offs and short comings become a thing of the past this next generation.

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen had a HD texture pack you could install . It did wonders for the atmosphere of the game

This is the game I'm looking the most forward to at the moment

http://www.gamespot.com/tales-of-xillia/

it just sounds like the game is more difficult that you'd like to be

That's probably what it sounds like but I don't really think that's it. It's part tough by design and part tough by poor development choices. Red Rabbit mentions it going for that gritty realistic environment, which would make sense but the game limits certain things in order to keep it the way they want it. For instance, Joel can carry 4 pistols, a shotgun, rifle, melee weapon, and hunting bow alongside some molotovs, bombs, and smoke grenades but I can't pick up more than 7 bullets? That's not realistic.

Wow Koray, that's an interesting post (I haven't bought the game yet). Not a single review I've read mentions any of those issues, but I too am very sensitive to the same sort of gameplay design misgivings which might negatively impact the overall experience. I'm disappointed you mentioned the jaggies as well, because coming from pc has really made me realise how a lack of anti aliasing can unfortunately make a game be a lot less aesthetically polished as it should have been. Which is curious here because I read their FXAA solution did a pretty good job smoothing edges in general.

What about Red Rabbit, did you encounter the problems Koray has?

Wondering whether to just rent it instead.

I know I've been talking about the cons more than pros but I don't regret my purchase at all. The game is still pretty great in its story and execution, there's just some stuff left to be desired. The jagged lines aren't too overt, it'd be something along the lines of me searching for some items, noticing something shiny in a corner (collectibles have a glint), and then running up to it to discover it was the bottom of a door that was white and jagged when it shouldn't have been. Facial textures and animation are really excellent, and paired with the voice acting the cut scenes feel genuinely real with their emotion and gravitas.

Like I said before, the major problem with the game is the NPCs in your party. When you have more than just Ellie, it's a noticeable issue for me.

Got Last of Us yesterday and played through probably most of the first "mission" (i.e. not much). I won't have much time for it until the end of next week or so, but so far it seems very promising. UC mixed with stealth and more heavily based on meelee fights is awesome by definition. I also haven't seen any notable glitches so far. Jason Gregory (one of the lead programmers) has written an excellent book on game engine design, so with Naughty Dog's games I'm always paying special attention to the implementation tricks as well.

Wow, unbeliveable

but I'm still getting a PS4 first and MAYBE an xboxone in a few years if the list of exclusives I want pile up.

They still lost a sale for now

It's a great victory against DRM in general . Other companies will think twice about trying to pull crap like this again

Got Last of Us yesterday and played through probably most of the first "mission" (i.e. not much). I won't have much time for it until the end of next week or so, but so far it seems very promising. UC mixed with stealth and more heavily based on meelee fights is awesome by definition. I also haven't seen any notable glitches so far. Jason Gregory (one of the lead programmers) has written an excellent book on game engine design, so with Naughty Dog's games I'm always paying special attention to the implementation tricks as well.

I haven't experienced many glitches myself, but there have been times where the NPC AI has broken the immersion but it's never prevented me from the playing the game well. I think the game looks great, personally.

You never had any of the issues I described above? One was more of a personal experience where Bill blocked the exit out of the graveyard and the clicker in that area slowly found its way to me as I tried to break through. The loud stomping is what I imagine you experienced, and it does break the immersion because of the emphasis the game puts on sound.

But those instances of characters disappearing behind me and reappearing further ahead happened a good 3-4 times. I also had some issues with dying in a room full of enemies and respawing and the area being completely clear. This was during the Winter segment. In the same area I also killed an enemy for it to have magically respawned when I returned to the same spot.

Have you beat it yet, and what are your thoughts on the ending?

Haven't beaten it yet. I am about 65% of the way through. The main NPC issue I've had is them not ever being caught despite being right next to the enemy or in their field of vision. But then again if it was fixed so that they could be seen the game would be much, much harder and it's already pretty difficult. It's a limitation of the technology and it doesn't bother me very much. As far as the NPC's obstructing the gameplay, I haven't had any of that. Maybe a little when there are several characters with you at once and they take up cover space.

It happens. They'll get grabbed and you have a certain amount of time to save them before they die.

I've had that happen.

I didn't like it at first either. Takes time to master.

Oh well, play it the casual way then!

I'll try it again later in the game when I have more skills and levels

You'll get blades further in. I went the rapper dude for his tank and blunt buffs, but when the powerful blade weapons became more prominent I made one my primary weapon and even though my character wasn't supposed to be best suited to them I did not notice one bit - he's still extremely effective with them. Also, machetes etc make the big hardass zombies less dangerous because a powerful one can lop their arms off.

I feel like you'd like it a lot more than I ultimately did, Lee. For me the game to beat this year/gen is still BioShock Infinite.

Indeed, I thought Infinite had GotY in the bag, before this. I bet Levine is pissed off with Naughty Dog ;)

Right now my weapons break after 3 zombies . I hope they get more durable

Max your favourite ones out at work benches and they'll last longer, but you do have to make fairly regular repairs. Check the attributes because certain weapons are a lot more hardy than others, so it might not be worth spending a lot of cash on a powerful weapon which needs constant maintenance.

Dead Island is a game where you can't get attached to your inventory. You'll find and keep a really great weapon and spend a ton of money on it but then around the corner you'll find one that makes it obsolete.

I was the Asian chick, but I think your character choice only effects what skills you can upgrade, not what happens in the game. My main weapon of choice was a machete maxed out with the flame mod.

I'm getting machetes now that seem to be lasing a little longer and maxed out the perk that extends weapon life. Still the repair bench is expensive

I'm pondering on getting lock picking or not

Dead Island is not that easy. I keep dying and losing all my cash. When it happens 3-4 times in a row it's pretty frustrating. Sometimes I mysteriously lose my weapons too

Never found the game overly difficult.

I've been in the mood for more indie type games lately. Played and beat Machinarium which is a cool little point-and-click. Went back to Closure for a bit and today I bought The Walking Dead DLC.

My kid played Bioshock Infinite. I loved the beginning of the game: City in the clouds ... sunshine ... white clouds ... utopian ... talking blimps ... dreamy ... Then all hell broke loose ... The gazillionth shoot 'm up game ...Sigh!

bioshock-infinite-city-in-the-sky-traile

Alex

Never found the game overly difficult.

The combat isn't great.

A bit "floaty" like Skyrim, there's no blocking and dodging doesn't work very well. You end up with a mob after you and just swinging your weapon wildly (which is not easy to aim either) and die. It' s almost impossible to avoid the Thug's swings

I'm just waiting to be overpowered with perks

I don't think I'm halfway through it so I'll work on it more

Still, I don't feel as compelled to master the combat as Dark Souls or Dragon's dogma

Also I threw of couple of expensive modded weapons to kill some harder enemies and lost them forever ( after dying and respawning further away)

Lol! Have you unlocked the 1-hit finishing move for you character yet? I went the black dude, so it was a head stomp in his case. Makes the confrontations so much easier. It'll be in your middle unlock tree. Get it asap along with adrenaline maxed out and you'll do better.

My kid played Bioshock Infinite...The gazillionth shoot 'm up game ...Sigh!

Shoot' em ups are simply so popular to reflect the current state of American life. It's quite trendy to have a gun and go around shooting your neighbors, so long as you can also find the blue, yellow, and red keys.