GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Well GRRM is teasing two big battles, death, betrayals, and weddings in Book 6, but there's still no release date

http://time.com/2928474/george-rr-martin-new-book-game-of-thrones/

I predict it will come out summer 2016, just after Season 6 has aired. And that possible one or both of the battles he mentioned will be the big Season 6 episode 9 battle.

(I predict the season 5 episode 9 episode will be more like the seasons 1 and 3 episode 9)

A likely problem with that is that the two (at least) big battles were, supposedly, meant to be at the end of Book 5. For some reason or other, it was decided that they would be deferred until the next book, in which they'll be near the beginning. So it would seem that Episode 9 of Season 6 would be a very late point in the adaptation to include either of them, especially if the showrunners stick to their current claim of concluding within seven seasons.

I find it more likely that at least one of them will feature as part of the climax of Season 5, even though there's already so much to fit into that season.

Edit: Clearly I started typing that before BloodBoal and Bilbo's posts!

This sucks.

But, then again, why would they confirm that now, just like that? It it wouldn't contradict anything this person says in this interview, anyway.

Karol

If the storyline is cut, it would certainly be better for them to make it known to book fans well in advance. They really should have done that before this season, since the disappointment and outrage displayed by a lot of people overshadowed reactions to the final episode within book-reading circles.

Hey, I like the White Walkers... for now. If they turn out to be good guys whose ultimate goal is to teach Westerosi how to live in harmony, then...

...that would be just as bad as the conventional assumptions about them!

In hindsight, the way they rewrote the plotlines with Arya, Brienne, and the Hound intersecting in the finale basically accomplished the main points of bringing that character back, and there isn't enough book material afterwards yet to justify bringing back the actor. That means they planned this when they outlined the fourth season. Could it have been from conflict of involvement in that other big show? Doubtful.

I don't think they can actually divulge what book elements they will leave out before the show airs because that would ruin the suspense. They write the show for one audience and they want the show to work without having to read the books to know what's going on.

Is there outrage that Coldhands was written out of the show? Reevaluate the material with Bran. Getting him through the Wall, the mutineers, and getting him to the tree were all rewritten to eliminate that character. They may be deliberately trying to diverge from the books, or they know they have so many characters and they're trying to cull some of them before bringing in too many new ones.

If they diverge too far, though they enter Walking Dead territory, where the show is now only inspired by the source material. Coincidentally, TWD wouldn't shy away from adding an old face as a zombie character, and we have seen that in GoT before, but I digress.

There is a mild spoiler in your penultimate sentence, you might want to rephrase that slightly. ;)

Anyway, I can see why this hasn't happened yet. There is barely any material to adapt from the available books yet, so we don't when where is storyline is actually going.

Karol

There's a lot of spoilers in my revised text. Shrug.

I think also the showrunners decided to drop the Brothers without Banners storyline to tighten the action.

I think also the showrunners decided to drop the Brothers without Banners storyline to tighten the action.

But then why did they show the Brotherhood in Season 3?

Anyway, all this may actually a red herring in order to surprise book readers, come season 5.

I might be able to answer that question.... but it requires knowledge of the events of ADWD and speculation on TWOW.... Basically, yeah, there could be a reason.

They showed the storyline to get Arya and Gendry away from the Lannisters, and set them on their separate paths. That's accomplished. According to the Lannisters on the show, the war in the North is won now that the Boltons control Winterfell, so showing the Brotherhood continuing hostilities would undermine that.

In hindsight, the way they rewrote the plotlines with Arya, Brienne, and the Hound intersecting in the finale basically accomplished the main points...

I don't see that it does. The main point of this storyline, insofar as it concerns the major characters, is to cause Brienne's betrayal of Jaime and put his life in jeopardy. (After that we don't know, though Benioff and Weiss presumably know at least a broad outline.)

But then why did they show the Brotherhood in Season 3?

It could well be that they only decided to cut the storyline we're talking about at a later time, or that they were keeping their options open back then. I think Bilbo is right, too, that the Brotherhood material may be relevant in other ways.

Anyway, all this may actually a red herring in order to surprise book readers, come season 5.

That's possible, but I think unlikely now. It would have been fairly easy to keep secret the shooting of a single scene for the cliffhanger of Season 4. But if the storyline is included in Season 5 then there'll be a lot more of it, probably difficult or impossible to keep under wraps.

The Brotherhood capturing Brienne can still happen, if somewhat altered. No one said it wouldn't.

But, as it had been said previously, Catelyn Stark is dead. But Lady Stoneheart is not really Catelyn Stark, is she? You can interpret what is being said in this interview in different ways. And, despite that, why would she offer spoilers like this almost a year before? I'm still hoping.

Karol

The actor interviewed could be deliberately gaming the audience. How many times did JJ Abrams say, no, that's not Khan. I don't trust anyone anymore.

The actor interviewed could be deliberately gaming the audience. How many times did JJ Abrams say, no, that's not Khan. I don't trust anyone anymore.

Yeah, same thing happened with Jean Grey in the latest X-Men film.

Catelyn Stark is dead. But Lady Stoneheart is not really Catelyn Stark, is she?.

Exactly what I was thinking. She might be playing with words. Gloin has a point, though.

The thing is BB, we don't know yet how important is that aspects to the main story. So far, it's presented in... two chapters spread across hundereds of pages?

Karol

He could just quickly mention feasts with something like this: "Remember what the feast at (insert place) looked like? No? (insert previous description). Well, this one looked nothing like it!"

Karol

Or, better still, someone could provide him with an automatic Feast Description Generator. He'll just have to type in the relevant character names, press GENERATE FEAST DESCRIPTION, and voila:

They began with a stew of turnips and horsemeat, and cold lemon cake soup too. Then came ravens in butter, crab kidneys drowned in blood and milk, a saddle of rabbit, hot honeyed carrots, and a suckling direwolf. Joffrey felt queasy, but he forced himself to try a spoon of porridge for the sake of politeness, and once he tasted it he was lost. A serving man placed a covered pot in front of Littlefinger, and Oberyn leaned across the table to remove the lid. "Snake eyes," the Dornishman announced as the smell wafted up, "kissed with sandspice and bathed in vomitus". Daenerys reached for a piece of the Thenn tongue, dipped it in banana sauce, and ate it with his fingers.

Dammit, I forgot to include the gender pronoun modifier. That'll be important in the Sex Description Generator too.

Looks like that character that didn't appear in Season 4 finale might not appear at all in the show.

BEWARE: Spoiler for non-book readers!

There was a lot of online conversation. I heard third-hand that you were basically told that its not likely to ever happen. Is that accurate?

Yeah, the characters dead. Shes dead.

Is it a significant spoiler or a minor occurrence?

Hmm okay, cheers. I won't take my chances, just in case. But if it does indeed turn out that the whole character/subplot is to be written out then let us know and I'll read it!

It might not be important element to the bigger story, actually. Who knows...

It's a certain quite controversial thing that, for better or worse, is now a part of story told in books. I can understand some reasoning why they might want to axe that, but it wouldn't feel right either. You'll understand when we get there. And if we don't, you'll find out anyway.

For now, you don't want to know.

Karol

If he doesn't have something essential to do elsewhere later, I could also imagine that they replace her with the Blackfish - the "revenge for own family's murder" motive would work there, too. Or else just keep Beric leading them, if the Brotherhood/Brienne/(Jaime?) interactions are needed - even if that's a bit illogical as, since going rogue, the Brotherhood (as led by Beric) is not fighting for/against a specific house anymore

When is the next book supposed to be coming out?

Karol

Well GRRM is teasing two big battles, death, betrayals, and weddings in Book 6, but there's still no release date

http://time.com/2928474/george-rr-martin-new-book-game-of-thrones/

I predict it will come out summer 2016, just after Season 6 has aired. And that possible one or both of the battles he mentioned will be the big Season 6 episode 9 battle.

(I predict the season 5 episode 9 episode will be more like the seasons 1 and 3 episode 9)