Battle of the wizards!

Quintus

Battle of the Wizards!  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favourite movie mentor?

• Gandalf
    • Obi Wan Kenobi
    • Dumbledore

Gandalf: Michael Horden.

Not for me. He's good, but didn't utterly embody the character, like Mckellen did.

Also, I thought Richard Harris looked bored in the Potter movies. Gambon brings a bit of fun to the role, he's got a twinkle in his eye.

excalibur2.gif

Why wasn't I included in the poll? Moi, the granddaddy of all wizards?!

Because he's a rubbish wizard in an awful movie, whose only redeeming features are the Total Eclipse of the Heart style photography and Helen Mirren's tits.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point!

"Annal nathrac, Uther spethod, dot'iell gen-vi".

Sorry it's phonetic, but you get the gist...

He might miss 'cool', but there's more depth to his character than all the others combined.

Love, jealousy, temptation, sacrifice, manipulation, trickery ... Merlin is very dynamic and complex character who displays a lot of human weaknesses while the others only portray the simplistic view of a wizard: white beard, wise, magic, the end. I'm not saying he's my favorite but I find him worthy of mentioning. Sorry if that annoys you.

The Dumbledore of the book portrays a lot of human weakness. And I'm sure he will in the film also, once Part II comes out. We realize that the only reason we had such a simplistic view of Dumbeledore was because we knew so little about him until Book 7.

Love, jealousy, temptation, sacrifice, manipulation, trickery ... Merlin is very dynamic and complex character who displays a lot of human weaknesses while the others only portray the simplistic view of a wizard: white beard, wise, magic, the end. I'm not saying he's my favorite but I find him worthy of mentioning. Sorry if that annoys you.

On the contrary, this is supposed to be a discussion, afterall. Those are interesting 'qualities' which are worthy of debate, but in the meantime I'd just like to point out that not all of them are exclusive to Merlin, in case you hadn't noticed. And then there's some facets which weren't mentioned at all, such as self-doubt.

True, but if you consider her age and see this?

sexy-helen-mirren-63.jpg

If I were not married to the love of my life, I wouldn't say no.

Remember, one of these days most of us will be having sex with an older woman or man.

Not for me. He's good, but didn't utterly embody the character, like Mckellen did.

Also, I thought Richard Harris looked bored in the Potter movies. Gambon brings a bit of fun to the role, he's got a twinkle in his eye.

I think his illness may have had something to do with it, well more so in the second one.

excalibur2.gif

Why wasn't I included in the poll? Moi, the granddaddy of all wizards?!

Because he's a rubbish wizard in an awful movie, whose only redeeming features are the Total Eclipse of the Heart style photography and Helen Mirren's tits.

He comes across as a nincompoop as well.

I think Arthur should have given him a pink slip.

I think Obi-Wan (especially in his younger years) would own Gandalf and Dumbledore.

What? He barely beat that whining ladyboy Anakin Skywalker, and that was only because he had the stupid higher ground.

I think Obi-Wan (especially in his younger years) would own Gandalf and Dumbledore.

What Quint said. Gandalf owned a Balrog, the nine Nazgul at Weathertop (with enough time to leave a message !), and the Witch-King (well, at least in the book). Obi-Wan owned battle droïds. Yeah, that's quite an achievement !

Obi-wan owned: Darth Maul, Greivous, Anakin, Vader (if he hadnt sacrificed himself) and EU characters

Lord Almighty, this usage of 'owned' is just getting out of hand :eh:

Ok then, Obi-Wan owned a small comfortable hut/shack/den/jedi hideout, a lightsaber and a swiss army knife.

Obi-wan owned: Darth Maul, Greivous, Anakin, Vader (if he hadnt sacrificed himself) and EU characters

Grievous : Droïd (well, half-droïd at least)

Vader : In a way, yes. I'll grant you that.

EU characters : doesn't count. What about LOTR EU ?

1: Going by your reasoning, Vader would be a half droid

2: There really is no "LOTR EU", atleast not on the same scale as the SW EU

What Quint said. Gandalf owned a Balrog, the nine Nazgul at Weathertop (with enough time to leave a message !), and the Witch-King (well, at least in the book). Obi-Wan owned battle droïds. Yeah, that's quite an achievement !

Obi-Wan was just a man who gained power as an influential ghost after death.

Dumbledore was also just a man, but gained power through death when he revisited Harry in his moment of death to inspire the final battle.

Gandalf was an immortal spirit sent from heaven in a fragile body who could "level up" after death.

I don't recall Gandalf facing the nine Nazgul at Weathertop. Wasn't he imprisoned in Orthanc at the time, leaving Strider to save the hobbits? Gandalf didn't "own" the Witch-King, Merry and Éowyn did.

I still voted for Obi-Wan because I prefer Alec Guinness to Ian McKellen.

Obi-Wan was just a man who gained power as an influential ghost after death.

Dumbledore was also just a man, but gained power through death when he revisited Harry in his moment of death to inspire the final battle.

Gandalf was an immortal spirit sent from heaven in a fragile body who could "level up" after death.

I don't recall Gandalf facing the nine Nazgul at Weathertop. Wasn't he imprisoned in Orthanc at the time, leaving Strider to save the hobbits? Gandalf didn't "own" the Witch-King, Merry and Éowyn did.

I still voted for Obi-Wan because I prefer Alec Guinness to Ian McKellen.

In the book, after he escaped from orthanc he put a rock on weathertop with a short message on it, then he went on his way to Rohan and got Shadowfax from Theoden.

and Gandalf owned the Witch King at the gate of Minas Tirith

That expanded UE crap doesn't count, it's not even accurate with the films.

He died knowing he be even more powerful than before!

Actually, he didn't know that (from what I remember from the book. Damn, it's been a while since the last time I read it !). And that's what makes him more badass than little Bi-wan.

Ehh, I was just making fun of the sequence. I have no idea either. ;)

After the LOTR clip and the picture of Hellen Mirren (Taylor Hackford chose very...very well), this thread really turned to a geekfest!

Owned???

What???

My wizard is more stronger then yours!

Geez guys, just pull down your pants, i'll get a ruler and we'll settle this once and for all!