Ladies and Gentlemen: John Williams' original Finale cue for Attack Of The Clones

Jay

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait Luke is right , the Imperial March AotC insert is clearly based on the RotJ unused Emperor Arrives cue. Williams probably recycled it.

In the AotC unused section I hear references to the Across the Stars "dark section"

No...that's not true...that's impossible!

No, but seriously, that's not true. They're both minor-key trumpet fanfares written by John Williams, but the similarity pretty much stops there. Now, I admit that the way the ends of the fanfares lead back into the Imperial March are somewhat similar, as are those statements of the Imperial March, but these are far from identical. And that similarity is completely absent in the original version of the cue.

i'm not saying it was note by note...

probably lucas got the ROTJ cue to williams and said 'i want something similar to this rendition for the finale'.

you even say the fanfare in the original finale is no similar at all, so williams changed it to fit more the imperial march...

BTW we will never know, but this score is full of small hints that seem coindicentical but maybe they are more intentional and thought about that we credit them for.

- Arrival at Kamino music -> departure of boba fett

- Imperial march finale -> the emperor arrives

- The arena -> reworked (con)federation march

- Tyrannus reports to sidious (sith plotting motif)-> Sidious instructs anakin (ROTS) / the dark forces plot? (TPM - this one is a guess, i cant translate the fanfare into the moody theme...)

Yes, it's a version of the Emperor's Theme in major, but what does that have to do with the AOTC finale?

I hear the similarity between the second half of the Imperial March insert and the unused Emperor Arrives segment too. It's more in the way the percussion plays out.

in what track is the film version Emperor Arrives? I always forget where to look for it

08 - The Emperor Arrives - The Death Of Yoda - Obi-Wan's Revelation of the RCA/Victor release.

He's asking about the other version, which begins Disc 2, track 6

No I mean the military sounding film version intro leading to the Imperial March

Ok found they stuck it at the beginning of "The Lightsaber" (0.00-0.21)

The Lightsaber is an edit job for the SE right? There's no way Williams would use that buildup into that slow version of the Imperial March found in that cue

No I mean the military sounding film version intro leading to the Imperial March

Ok found they stuck it at the beginning of "The Lightsaber" (0.00-0.21)

That's what I said in the post immediately above yours

The Lightsaber is an edit job for the SE right? There's no way Williams would use that buildup into that slow version of the Imperial March found in that cue

0:00-0:21 = first insert for The Emperor Arrives

0:21--0:46 = second inserts for The Emperor Arrives

0:46-1:43 = The Lightsaber

1:43-end = The Ewok Battle

Any info where this comes from? Did someone get a hold of AOTC sketches or something? In lieu of some evidence, I say this is a fake, imagined by someone who considers himself to be a Williams fan and composer extrapolating a cue out of the elements that made it into the finished cue and the Across The Stars music video - even taking into account the synth-mockup of it, it just doesn't seem to flow in any logical, musical John Williams-y way to my ear. Of course, I could be wrong, and apologies if I am, but that's my two cents. And JW doesn't do synth mockups himself - the live recording session is the first time the director hears the music in it's orchestrated form.

Fake or not, it IS an interesting piece, tho :)

Wow. You disappear for 4 years and this is how you return? Nice.

Trust me, it's 100% real.

The sketches leaked as I understand it

The actual orchestral version would probably flow better but it sounds like Williams chords in there

Yes, I suspect a 100% that it is real and if you think a little (IMHO), you'll know who made that mock-up ;)

but there is one wrong trumpet note.. well it must be wrong, it doesn't fit into the minor scale - it is all the sudden major - sounds very odd

The trumpetfigure that steps in at 0:09 is clearly Bmin, because you hear "d" of the minor chord B d F#,,, and suddenly at 0:13 there is a "D#" but after that it is in B-minor again?!- this is a very unlogical choice by Williams and can't be right.

so I suspect it is a wrong note in the actual sketch/or full score - don't think it was transcribed wrongly.

• 3 weeks later...

Thankfully I look like neither of them as my profile pic shows. Though Susan Boyle lives not far from here........ Not my cup of tea frankly.....

Well I've been here since 2005 in theory, just my presence is scarce, I'm afraid..... *hangs head in shame*

Well I've been here since 2005 in theory, just my presence is scarce, I'm afraid..... *hangs head in shame*

wow, then your actually "the first Padme"