FILM: X-Men First Class (2011)

crocodile

X-Men: First Class

I can't say I'm completely satisfied with this film. It is a bit uneven. Certainly better than the previous two entries, but nowhere as balanced the first two. It is both more serious and also more fun. At the same time. One the one hand you have some strong violence (for a movie like this) on the other hand it has more humour as well. I'm not sure if the combination works. For every thought-out nuance comes a cheesy line. And it's a pity, because when Singer was directing it seemed better handled.

The cast is definitely a big help here. Well, most of it. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender do their character's justice, which is a feat in itself for their following Stewart's and McKellen's footsteps. Both Xavier and Magneto have and arc in the film and their conflict is a little bit more personal than the two old veteran actors exchanging quotes in a Shakespearan way. Believe it or not, but these characters are even richer than before. That's a good thing about the film. But, still, it is rushed, as it the whole film. There are so many elements in it that some of them are sacrificed. Like Emmma Frost, for example. She doesn't do much in the film and a typically stiff performace by January Jones doens't help. She's perfect for Betty in Mad Men, but I don't buy her in any other role. The younger actors are all fine. Kavin Bacon plays a Bond-type of villain. Quite literally and he's really good at it.

The most irritating thing about these kinds of films is that they try so hard to make us buy this world they're creating, to make it as real as possible that the signature key elements from the comic books (like superhero costumes, nicknames) sometimes completely take me out of the picture. It's like The Dark Knight which is a pretty strong thriller, but there is guy in a bat-suit, for some reason. It's Richard Donner's Superman, which created a world around that doesn't make the hero silly. These days, everything must be "psychologically complex" and "real world". I'm not sure how people with silly nicknames and outfits fit into all that. But it's a minor quibble.

They worked hard to make as many in-jokes and references as possible. So you get a surprising cameos from two actors from the other films (

Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijn

). You get the feeling that this film is trying to hard to draw all the element together and even to do that in 2 hrs is daunting. I fact there might be too much of that. I thought it should progress more slowly, over the series of films. But no, even if they won't make a single X-Men movie then it won't matter. Pretty much everything is there now.

Still, I can't say it is bad. Neither is it good. Most of the stuff works. But I probably won't be seeing it again. The score is disappointing and it's not about the guitars at all. They help to create the expionage genre feeling (James Bond again). But it is completely unmemorable. Which shouldn't surprise me these days.

But I'm sure most people will like it, so don't worry. It's a safe option. But don't expect to be blown away with wit and good taste. ;)

Karol

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I'm completely satisfied with this film. It is a bit uneven. Certainly better than the previous two entries, but nowhere as balanced the first two. It is both more serious and also more fun. At the same time. One the one hand you have some strong violence (for a movie like this) on the other hand it has more humour as well. I'm not sure if the combination works. For every thought-out nuance comes a cheesy line. And it's a pity, because when Singer was directing it seemed better handled.

The cast is definitely a big help here. Well, most of it. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender do their character's justice, which is a feat in itself for their following Stewart's and McKellen's footsteps. Both Xavier and Magneto have and arc in the film and their conflict is a little bit more personal than the two old veteran actors exchanging quotes in a Shakespearan way. Believe it or not, but these characters are even richer than before. That's a good thing about the film. But, still, it is rushed, as it the whole film. There are so many elements in it that some of them are sacrificed. Like Emmma Frost, for example. She doesn't do much in the film and a typically stiff performace by January Jones doens't help. She's perfect for Betty in Mad Men, but I don't buy her in any other role. The younger actors are all fine. Kavin Bacon plays a Bond-type of villain. Quite literally and he's really good at it.

The most irritating thing about these kinds of films is that they try so hard to make us buy this world they're creating, to make it as real as possible that the signature key elements from the comic books (like superhero costumes, nicknames) sometimes completely take me out of the picture. It's like The Dark Knight which is a pretty strong thriller, but there is guy in a bat-suit, for some reason. It's Richard Donner's Superman, which created a world around that doesn't make the hero silly. These days, everything must be "psychologically complex" and "real world". I'm not sure how people with silly nicknames and outfits fit into all that. But it's a minor quibble.

They worked hard to make as many in-jokes and references as possible. So you get a surprising cameos from two actors from the other films (

Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijn

). You get the feeling that this film is trying to hard to draw all the element together and even to do that in 2 hrs is daunting. I fact there might be too much of that. I thought it should progress more slowly, over the series of films. But no, even if they won't make a single X-Men movie then it won't matter. Pretty much everything is there now.

Still, I can't say it is bad. Neither is it good. Most of the stuff works. But I probably won't be seeing it again. The score is disappointing and it's not about the guitars at all. They help to create the expionage genre feeling (James Bond again). But it is completely unmemorable. Which shouldn't surprise me these days.

But I'm sure most people will like it, so don't worry. It's a safe option. But don't expect to be blown away with wit and good taste. ;)

Karol

your review seems way too overthought. It certainly is the worst review I've read on the film which is being almost universally praised (53 fresh out of 54). The comments regarding Superman and the Dark Knight suggest you should probably not even partake in this genre since you can't immerse yourself in the unreal as real. Think about it, in a real world Lois Lane dies in a horrible helicopter accident, and the FBI and Homeland Security would be all over Chicago(Gotham) hunting this lunatic in a batsuit.

53 out of 54 fresh? Holy crap!

it's bizarre, I wonder how it will do at the BO since the Hangover is at 35% and it's on track for 300 mil.

X-men first clas is on my top priority of films to see.

I'm a bit behind, last i saw was Thor and Priest. Didn't see Pirates 4 ...almost seems like a chore

your review seems way too overthought. It certainly is the worst review I've read on the film which is being almost universally praised (53 fresh out of 54). The comments regarding Superman and the Dark Knight suggest you should probably not even partake in this genre since you can't immerse yourself in the unreal as real. Think about it, in a real world Lois Lane dies in a horrible helicopter accident, and the FBI and Homeland Security would be all over Chicago(Gotham) hunting this lunatic in a batsuit.

What I'm supposed to say? That I loved it because most critics did?

My point is the film is just all right. I had high hopes for it. It's a bit like Star Trek, which had great reviews as well. But was it it really all that good or maybe just better than few previous flicks in the series and nobody expected them to pull this off? I think it's the same here. There are good bits in there though and that is mostly thanks to the actors.

And yeah, maybe you're right. I like superhero movies less and less these days. Which is weird, cause I used to be very much into comic books when I was younger. But that was just a general observation. Not aimed at this film in particular.

There are some inconsistencies with what we know from the other films. For example, in the first Xavier and Magneto built Cerebro together and yet in this one it has been constructed by someone else entirely. And it's not the only thing.

Oh and there is a bit of Michael Kamen in the film. :)

Get Low

Good performance from Duvall, but it feels like I've seen that film several times already.

Karol

Think about it, in a real world Lois Lane dies in a horrible helicopter accident,

Even in the fantasy world, Lois Lane dies when her car is buried in a fault line while Superman seals Hoover Dam, and when Superman turns back time to rescue Lois Lane, millions drown as the dam un-seals itself. But we're not supposed to think of such things.

Those capitalist bastards deserved to die anyway.

What I'm supposed to say? That I loved it because most critics did?

no, just an observation.

And yeah, maybe you're right. I like superhero movies less and less these days. Which is weird, cause I used to be very much into comic books when I was younger. But that was just a general observation. Not aimed at this film in particular.

I know people who cannot watch a movie unless it it centered strictly in the real world. I prefer to let myself fall into the unreal. I don't read comics, and I never like the cartoon Wolverine yet I really like the Xmen films even the last two mediocre films(though Hugh Jackman is never less than excellent in either).

What I'm saying is if you can't get past the sillyness (which I take you to mean the fantasy) then no genre film can ever work. You can't like Harry Potter because wizards aren't real, same with LOTR, you can't watch the Wolfman or Vampire films because they aren't real. If you can't get past the basic premise in a fantasy film then you can never escape into that fantasy film.

Strange, Joey, didn't you use to hate Singers' X-Men movies?! I'm pretty sure that you did.

Sorry but you remembered wrong. True I was very critical of Last Stand. I have always loved X2, and I had only seen X-men once until this week. I liked Wolverine despite its many flaws mainly based on Hugh Jackman's performance.

I still think X2 is the finest of the 4 films I've seen. It's the X-men reworking of Wrath of Khan, it hits all the high notes, and the ending is pure old fashioned melodrama.

X-men is better than I thought, and I've always thought the opening sequence in Germany was facinating. There are people who have won Oscars for performances no where matching Stewarts and Mckellen's. Each great in their own rights together they are a formidable duo.

The problem with X-men is the studio wasn't ready to believe in the film and it shows. The production values range from good to bad and it gives the film an unpolished look.

I wish they would release the 45 minutes cut from the first film somewhere. It's insane that they haven't. Same with the Harry Potter's. You'd think after the success of the LOTR EEs this stuff would be more widespread.

45 minutes. Wow.

Now thinking on it, my problem with the first one would disappear if they put that in the film. I read somewhere that the script was way longer and developed more the different characters.

Originaly it wasn't just Wolverine and Rogue that got origins in the movie; They filmed Cyclops and Storm's origins too. Why they haven't released that footage, I have no idea.

Strange, Joey, didn't you use to hate Singers' X-Men movies?! I'm pretty sure that you did.

Sorry but you remembered wrong. True I was very critical of Last Stand. I have always loved X2, and I had only seen X-men once until this week. I liked Wolverine despite its many flaws mainly based on Hugh Jackman's performance.

I still think X2 is the finest of the 4 films I've seen. It's the X-men reworking of Wrath of Khan, it hits all the high notes, and the ending is pure old fashioned melodrama.

X-men is better than I thought, and I've always thought the opening sequence in Germany was facinating. There are people who have won Oscars for performances no where matching Stewarts and Mckellen's. Each great in their own rights together they are a formidable duo.

The problem with X-men is the studio wasn't ready to believe in the film and it shows. The production values range from good to bad and it gives the film an unpolished look.

I know I go against the grain but I prefer the first X-Men, just like I prefer the first Bourne movie. Somehow they feel more atmosphere driven than their story driven follow-ups. I was slightly bored when I rewatched the sequels because I already knew their stories. For me, the "unpolished look" results in a sense of threat that feels more imminent. There's a realistic grungy tone to it that I like. The second one feels more Hollywood.

The unpolished look comes from the fact that they didn't have the money to properly animate the X-jet or finish out certain scenes. In spots the work is very poorly done, it's not from anything you said.

Point of reference Alex, they are all 20th Century Fox films aka Hollywood.

The X-Jet? Who cares! No, I'm talking about the general tone of the whole movie.

Don't you know what people mean with "too Hollywood", Joey? That surprises me.

I remember "knowing" back in sixth grade (1992-3) that Patrick Stewart would play Charles Xavier, whenever they got around to making movies.

And Clancy Brown woulda been Sabretooth. Oh well, they can't all be right.

The X-Jet? Who cares! No, I'm talking about the general tone of the whole movie.

Don't you know what people mean with "too Hollywood", Joey? That surprises me.

yes, I find it to be a weak insult for the limited and self important because they find a particular film beneath them. It's a copout insult.

God forbid a film should be made more accessible to the masses.

I know I go against the grain but I prefer the first X-Men, just like I prefer the first Bourne movie. Somehow they feel more atmosphere driven than their story driven follow-ups. I was slightly bored when I rewatched the sequels because I already knew their stories. For me, the "unpolished look" results in a sense of threat that feels more imminent. There's a realistic grungy tone to it that I like. The second one feels more Hollywood.

The first film had the novelty and the advantage of being the first modern "Marvel" film. There was not yet a film formula that had to be followed rigorously.

Never got into X-Men, not my thing.

But I'm like an open-legged drunken virgin willing the reboot to enlighten me.

It looks interesting and I'll go see it.

And we "know" that the Cerebro in the first film is the very first of its type ever built, that no prototype was ever constructed by anyone else prior to Xavier and Magneto getting it right? Very interesting...

The thing that they're using is a prototype, yes. But by the end of the movie

Xavier and Magneto are already enemies. Which doesn't leave much room for them working together on the Cerebro that we know from the original films

What I'm saying is if you can't get past the sillyness (which I take you to mean the fantasy) then no genre film can ever work. You can't like Harry Potter because wizards aren't real, same with LOTR, you can't watch the Wolfman or Vampire films because they aren't real. If you can't get past the basic premise in a fantasy film then you can never escape into that fantasy film.

That's not exactly what I meant. Filmmakers spend so much time creating believable worlds around these fantastic elements that I feel sometimes they just stick out more. For example, I have no problem with Harry Potter within the fantastic Hogwarts world. But the last film in particular, which was filmed in a very gritty and realistic fashion, I have this uneasy feeling that it doesn't fit. Going back to the superheroes though, try to imagine Superman being involved with something as complex as the conflicts on the Middle East in a new movie. It just doesn't sound quite right, does it? Donner's film works, because Superman in that world made sense. My point is I'm not so sure whether bringing heroes in spandex to the real world makes them any more valid and/or worthwhile. I'm not sure I entirely buy Tony Stark's sudden change from a arms dealer/manufacturer (which is actually quite controversial, if you think about it) to a heroic figure. I hope it's more clear now.

Besides, there is just something about the superhero genre in general that is very weird. YOu have to agree this is quite a phenomenon of the 20th Century. Granted, you have the old Greek mythology, but I'm not sure what it really represents. Just a thought.

God forbid a film should be made more accessible to the masses.

There's no shortage of that. But instead of being afraid I would like to see a Hollywood with bigger balls. Or do you pay more attention to that other 'part'?

Anyways, let me put it this way. We have different tastes. I like Katherine Heigl when she's in Knocked Up (gungy, ballsy). You like Katherine Heigl when she's in 27 Dresses (housewify, Hollywood, mannered, polished, obvious, ...). I like Adam Sandler when he's in Puch-Drunk Love. You like Adam Sandler (or at least you hate him less) when he's in The Wedding Singer. ;) It's always been like that.

Blade Runner

I have to admit it is the first film ever that I've seen on Blue-ray. Absolutely amazing!

The Final Cut, I presume?

And we "know" that the Cerebro in the first film is the very first of its type ever built, that no prototype was ever constructed by anyone else prior to Xavier and Magneto getting it right? Very interesting...

The thing that they're using is a prototype, yes. But by the end of the movie

Xavier and Magneto are already enemies. Which doesn't leave much room for them working together on the Cerebro that we know from the original films

Fair enough. I saw the movie tonight, and thought it was excellent. The cameos of the two you mentioned were wonderful -- the entire theater erupted in laughter and applause when the first unexpected cameo happened. It felt totally appropriate.

Back to your point about continuity,

with the destruction of the CIA's prototype Cerebro, the movie leaves only three possibilities for Erik and Charles to collaborate on the final Cerebro we see in the first X-Files movie.

1) They worked on it while training before the Cuban Missile Crisis. This is weak because it doesn't show us anything, and Charles' priority was training the mutants he had instead of recruiting more. With the deadline looming, Charles had no reason to build another Cerebro so quickly because he assumed Erik would return to the mansion. Maybe a deleted scene shows them building it at West Chester, but I doubt it.

2) Charles and Erik will lay down their differences in a future movie, and work together to build it. Again, this is not much better because we already had a "united X-Men" plot in one of the movies that comes later. The only reason that Erik would help build a new one would be to build his Brotherhood, which is something Charles would not want to see happen. Pointless.

3) Retcon; we're supposed to forget Charles ever said that.

When the movie ended, I thought it was going to be neat that 40-some geeks stayed to watch the end credits for the post-credits scene...THAT NEVER FREAKING CAME! Folks, don't waste your time listening to the score (serviceable in the film but not memorable) that long, because unlike X-Men 3, there is no post-credits scene in X-Men: First Class. And reflecting on the final line of the movie, it would not be necessary.

• 1 year later...

This film suffers from the same problem that prequel movies have had since 1999. Everything is pre-ordained. We know what is going to happen, what we are seeing are just the details.

The opening is a repeat from the first X-Men, and we see some of Magneto's origins. His thirst for vengeance for the man who shot his mother. Fassbender is good in his calculated, understated rage, but I rather miss the theatricality of McKellen, who has a gleem in his eye playing Magneto.

James McAvoy is decent as Professor X, but again, he's no Patrick Stewart. Actually with a full head of hair and walking, is he even professor X?

Jennifer Lawrence plays Mystique. I'm sure she's a better actress then Rebecca Romein, but not in this role.

January Jones looks good in her skimpy white lingerie, but her face is empty. Can she actually act?

Kevin Bacon is good as this films villain though. speaking both English and German.

The problem with the film is that everything is a bit ...blah. Also everything feels rushed. The actors feel like they are talking really fast, scenes are very short, like they are rushing to get to the next scene. The film never seems like it's living in the moment.

It's certainly a better, more even film then the third X-Men, better plot, less frantic, less stupid. The 60's time period makes for a nice chance and it has a SR71 blackbird, one of the most beautiful planes ever designed. There's a sexy but tasteful scene in a Vegas whorehouse which gives Rose Byrne a great reason to walk around in her undies.

The direction is decent but strangely average. Isn't Vaughn supposed to be some kind of sensation? There isn't much that stands out in terms of styling, performances or visually. It all feels very average and safe. Maybe that's what Marvel wanted.

The music by Henry Jackman is awful. Simple, intrusive guitar chords permeate this film. An X-Men theme does emerge, but it feels like he stitched the theme from the first and third film together. The film plays in the 60's and the director seems to go for a Bond feel, but the music never reflects that.

An OK film, but forgettable. Also entirely redundant.

The main attraction seems to be the origins of Xavier and Magneto, and how their friendship turned sour. The first X-Men film has a brief scene between Stewart and McKellen introducing their characters that was filled with regret and loss. It told me more about the history of these two characters that X-Men First Class does in it's 2+ hours runtime.

** out of ****

While we're invoking Prequels... my biggest complaint the first two hours or so was Phantom Menace, and the last fifteen minutes was the other two Prequels. Not in quality, but in storytelling - they really should've saved Magneto's turn for the inevitable sequels instead of trying to cram all the backstory into one picture.

For myself, most of X-Men: First Class is more of a guilty pleasure. I actually enjoyed it all the way through, despite it having quite a bit of issues with it. I also agree with Steef it felt a bit rushed.

It would have been nice had they focused on more of Xavier's and Eric's story as well as the back story for Eric and Klaus Schmidt (aka Sebastian Shaw). I also agree with Miles that they should have saved Eric's turning to Magneto and even Charles' losing the ability to walk until the very end of the inevitable sequels.

One of the things that was definitely too rushed was how the group was able to control their powers. I mean seriously it took them what, a week to do it? When most of their lives they had a hard time trying to, to begin with? Just because Charles Xavier shows up doesn't mean they suddenly can control their powers on a whim.

I will say I too think the casting did help the film tremendously.

I saw this film with my fiance shortly after it came out and we both enjoyed it.

For myself, most of X-Men: First Class is more of a guilty pleasure. I actually enjoyed it all the way through, despite it having quite a bit of issues with it. I also agree with Steef it felt a bit rushed.

It would have been nice had they focused on more of Xavier's and Eric's story as well as the back story for Eric and Klaus Schmidt (aka Sebastian Shaw). I also agree with Miles that they should have saved Eric's turning to Magneto and even Charles' losing the ability to walk until the very end of the inevitable sequels.

I laughed out loud at the scene were young Xavier met young Mystique because she broke into his house...for some reason.

Why was she there? How did she get there? It's never explained.

She was there because she was hungry, wasn't she? She was in his kitchen making a ruckus digging in the fridge, right? How'd she get in, I'd wager she knows how to pick a lock or shapeshifted herself into a moth or mouse and sneaked in.

Yeah, she just happened to sneak into the same house were the future Professor X lives. No explanation were she came from, how she got there? In X-Men we actually see how Rogue's circumstances and how she hooks up with Logan. Here it's just a 2 minute meet-cute

Where did Mystique come from? Well, one day, a long time ago, her father bought her mother a drink, then a rose, then a ring, and then he was gonna buy a rubber but he forgot, and the rest is history.