What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I was always a bit of a SW fan, but the PT has completely cured me of that.

I do like to watch the OT every few years though. I've never seen them in HD before and these new versions seem worth it. It's very much a sentimental journey though.

TESB will be played in a few

Haven't seen an M Night Shamalamadingdong movie since The Village. I did read that in The Happening Wahlberg is comprehensively out-acted by plants, and that The Last Airbender is so inept that you can see actors actually waiting for their cue to start fighting each other during action sequences.

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Despecialized Edition

Sequels are so common place now. It's hard to fathom what a risk they took at the time trying to do a follow up on the most successful movie ever made.

Lucas and co took the brilliant step of making the second film structurally different from the first one. TESB doesn't really follow a predictable linear plot. It's a series of events dictated by cause and effect rather then the more common "hero's journey" story structure of Star Wars. That makes this story more unpredictable, which is always a good thing.

The title The Empire Strikes Back may be a little cheesy if you really think about it. But the film really does live up to it.

This film does a brilliant job in portraying the Empire and Darth Vader as a gigantic, omnipresent force that you cannot get away from. It seems to be everywhere in this film.

TESB starts out fairly slowly, like most SW films, but once the Empire gets a whiff of the rebels it comes out all guns blazing and never really lets up. This is essentially a chase movie. Where are heroes must constantly try and outrun the empire hunting them down relentlessly.

The final victory in the film is not the destruction of a Death Star, or the end of the Empire, it's simply getting away from them alive. (the Falcon's hyperdrive not working may be a story conceit, but it's a damn effective one)

Like the Empire being a much larger presence in this film, the same must be said for Vader. No longer taking orders from a Grand Moff (whatever that is), Vader does as he pleases.

It's a small detail, but James Earl Jones speaks slightly slower in this film then in Star Wars, making his voice even lower, more commanding.

The rest of the main cast all do better then in the first film. Thanks to the smart and witty script by Kasdan and Brackett, the dynamic between characters is great. With especially Ford being rather excellent as the cockey, flying by the seat of his pants Solo. (amazing that a year later he would play a very similar character, also written by Lucas, and he manages to make them very different)

The most important new character is the the pint size green puppet. The script has great fun toying with our expectations of what a "great Jedi master" should be.

While the Prequels show that Yoda is completely unconvincing in battle, TESB does the right thing by largely sidelining him from the actual action and use the character to it's strength.

In Star Wars The Force was largely a gimmick, but the character of Yoda embodies it with depth and texture. TESB deals to a much greater extent with the Force, but thankfully refuses to go into details or provide any scientific counterpoint. (like TPM fatally did) Yoda's teaching barely help us understand what the Force is. But the character's faith and devotion to it is absolute.

This is where Hamill shines. It's partially his acting that makes Yoda a totally believable character, even though he never looks anything but a small puppet.

Like every sequel TESB wants to be bigger and more expensive looking then it's first film. Which really isn't that hard. But the film succeeds in appearing far more dynamic in almost every aspect.

While Star Wars broke the mold when it comes to special effects in 1977, there were clearly technical and budgetary limits that seem more apparent now.

TESB not only manages to have more and bigger effects, but they simply look more dynamic and exciting.
It also helps in portraying the Empire as more powerful and inescapable. One of my favorite ever "space" special effect shots is the opening shot for the Asteroid Field scene. A tiny but nimble Falcon being chased by a massive Star Destroyer.

Knipseltesb_zpsef60bdd0.jpg

While the Star Wars films certainly never have been acknowledged for it's cinematography, i've always felt TESB has been underrated in this area.

Once again it succeeds best in it's visual deception of Darth Vader, and making him a menacing, unstoppable force. The first shot where Luke sees the actual Vader is brilliantly composed. (early use of teal and orange?)

Knipseltesb2_zpse236210f.jpg

Kirsher and his cinematographer make excellent us of camera angles to amplify the difference in size between Vader and Luke, making him seem like a massive hulk always looming over short/arse Hamill. A nice subtle nod there that Yoda, representing the Light side is so much smaller then Luke, while the Dark Side is so much larger.

Knipseltesb3_zpsd356351f.jpg

This distinction is also highlighted in John Williams magnificent score, where the aggressive, bombastic Imperial March all but overwhelms at first, but the subtler, gentle material signifying the Light side resonates very well. (unlike the Prequels and indeed Star Wars this film makes no distinction between the Empire and the Dark Side of the Force).

Moving away to some extent from the Golden Age of Hollywood and faux classical music sound of Star Wars TESB exists on a larger canvas, with some spectacular new themes and a few action set pieces which are still career highlights. While I don't know if it's actually a better score then the more leaner Star Wars, it is a fantastic follow up.

This despecialized edition looks and feels just right. It dawned on me that I have seen TESB many many times, but always on VHS on Laserdisc sources, and that one time in the cinema. So see in in HD, in such clarity is quite an experience.

TESB was the film least effected by George's SE impulses. No added show stopping musical numbers or CGI beasts in the background. But an added scream did take away some of the potency of the very dramatic fall, and the way the Hyperspace scene is chopped up to include painfully obvious unused footage from ROTJ is simply awful.

I've maintained for years that Star Wars as a franchise is deeply uncool. The films, the expanded universe, the merchandise is geek nirvana.

But as a film TESB is cool, even today. It has cool heroes, cool villains, bitchin' special effects and action sequences.

The "I am your father" revelation is in essence the beginning of the Prequel trilogy. Yet as I watched that scene, dramatically, in the context of the film up to that point and Star Wars it actually works And I like how it leaves our hero utterly devastated and shell shocked)

There has been this growing movement in recent years to not consider TESB really as good anymore.

But I really can't agree. If the Star Wars films are supposed to be a giddy roller-coaster ride, then TESB is the one that does it best for me. It's the one that involves and entertains and thrills me the most.

While Star Wars (1977) might be the all important genesis, and the Prequels are the most undiluted distillation of George Lucas' universe, it's this film which is by far the most thrilling.

**** out of **** even today!

Like the Empire being a much larger presence in this film, the same must be said for Vader. No longer taking orders from a Grand Moff (whatever that is), Vader does as he pleases.

It's a small detail, but James Earl Jones speaks slightly slower in this film then in Star Wars, making his voice even lower, more commanding.

They also started electronically processing his voice in this film, although it's even more pronounced in RETURN OF THE JEDI. It was either ring mod or flanging, I can't remember which.

The "I am your father" revelation is in essence the beginning of the Prequel trilogy.

It's a small world after all

It's a small, small world

How is it clumsily? By using one song I refer to two aspects that will set the coarse for the future of Star Wars. It's quite clever.

They won't have to. The EU was cut and that was never mentioned in the movies. Unless Palpatine will be revealed to be Darth Plageuis with a utility belt full of midichlorian cream.

Or maybe, yeah, you're right, it's clever, and that explains why Stiff didn't get it.

Exactly! Most people didn't get the small hints in Blade Runner either so Ridley reinserted the unicorm dream so everybody would get it. At first the movie was subtle, now it's too obvious.

Alex

But Palpatine has to return obviously.

Since we never actually saw him die they can just play that he escapes the Death Star before it blew up. (Like Luke survived his fall)

But how will they resurrect Vader?

Bring back Palpatine and Vader? You are kidding, right? Really, I much rather prefer the son of Darth Maul (8 lightsabers at once? Wow, he's really good! What a great movie!)

They can grow one using Anakin's midichrolians and the recovered Luke's hand that Vader chopped of!

But Palpatine has to return obviously.

Since we never actually saw him die they can just play that he escapes the Death Star before it blew up. (Like Luke survived his fall)

But how will they resurrect Vader?

Bring back Palpatine and Vader? You are kidding, right? Really, I much rather prefer the son of Darth Maul.

These are the franchise's biggest villains! There has never been a SW film without Vader or Anakin. You really don't think Disney will maintain the status quo, right?

Like James Bond, they need a new enemy. We know the old villains, just like we know the xenomorph in the Alien franchise, so Scott gave us a bald bodybuilder instead.

The Terminator (1984)

Great film!

Got goosebumps still in some scenes.

The tension is there without many times relying on special effects! A lesson of directing for new directors who rely on heavy CGI to impress, without any substance.

And by the way, I watched it with the original mono.

The 5.1 audio track is totally altered with new effects substituting the old ones, and music cues...missing!!

Here's a comparison:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xykcul_the-terminator-1984-original-mono-audio-track-vs-remixed-audio-track_shortfilms

Watching it in the original audio, you're reliving your childhood..

A lesson of directing for new directors who rely on heavy CGI to impress, without any substance.

Directors have very little or nothing to do with it. The Terminator is from before the CGI age. Today, Cameron is nothing but CGI.

World War Z

Not a bad way to spend 2 hours, but could have been so much more. I am not familiar with the source material, so I cannot speak to how well it was adapted, but the movie's main problem is that it goes from one set piece to another without even trying to be fluid, and then it just ends. The last part didn't seem like a climax, then suddenly it was over.

There's nothing in the way of character development.

First Blood

compared to the [Rambo] sequels this is almost a classic. My second time seeing it and I quite like it, definitely the best of the bunch. For a start you have Brian Dennehy as the classic asshole sheriff but Sylvester Stallone doing a decent attempt at acting. I'm one who considers Cop Land his best for that or at least top three. In this latest viewing it's Richard Crenna who earns my top marks. From his intro ("So you could say he's mine") right to the end just sublime. And this a couple of days of re-watching Hot Shots Part Deux.

And of course, this film would be nothing without Goldsmith (and perhaps the location of British Columbia)

FB Blood 2 is watchable all the way through!

Trautman's lecturing, Stallone attampting to act out his own, silly dialogue, Charles Napier and Steven Kerkoff chewing the scenery. Also the action and cinematography are still top notch.

It's politics are simplistic and possibly vile, but who cares?