Does John Powell kick John Williams's ass?

Hlao-roo

Powell versus Williams  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior action-adventure score?

• How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
    • The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not move me either. I can't go through the whole score at once, I have to listen to it in parts. The most human parts are basically depressing, and the rest is evil and twisted and cold.

Does John Williams kick John Williams' ass?

Add Happy Feet and Horton Hears A Who.

Koray. I've been meaning to ask you.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

You are obviously not a fan of John Williams.

Yep, definitely not a fan of John Williams.

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/reviews/warhorsebyjohnwilliamsreview

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/reviews/1941byjohnwilliamsreview

Omaha Beach is Incredibly moving, and a truly wonderful piece of music. It's pretty much buried in the film though, which I don't take issue with That one track, just on a musical level, is one of the best things he's done in the last 15 years.

Add Happy Feet and Horton Hears A Who.

Koray. I've been meaning to ask you.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

You are obviously not a fan of John Williams.

Koray is definitely a Williams fan ... But he's also a fan of many types of film music. Both an asset and a flaw haha

I know when Wlliams is bored because he will write a few tracks of awesome, well-focused music and then do his usual for the rest. Like Lost World, Patriot, and Skull (i love the concert pieces, heard The chicks theme live, wonderful). Those scores have wonderful pieces, surrounded by boredom--even though Williams doesnt wach movies, he knows a turd when he sees one. Even some turds he can crank out great music by remembering the source material as inspiration (memoirs, angela). Tintin is not like that at all. Williams had passion in every cue. Just look at the first 5 seconds of Falcon!

Tintin will stand the test of time. Not Dragon.

Giacchino's movie scores are usually heavily influenced by existing material. Goldsmith and Williams, especially. But hey that's fine. I loved Monte Carlo! Reminded me of a 60's Johnny comedy score.

The truth is none of them will stand the test of time. They're both good, but play any theme from either of these scores in a few years to an average world citizen and he will look at you with empty eyes.

I think Empire Magazine said something similar about Williams' score for HP back in 2001. Hope you're not sharing the same level of clairvoyance of their editorial staff...

The truth is none of them will stand the test of time. They're both good, but play any theme from either of these scores in a few years to an average world citizen and he will look at you with empty eyes.

I think Empire Magazine said something similar about Williams' score for HP back in 2001. Hope you're not sharing the same level of clairvoyance of their editorial staff...

Come on, you know as well as I do that Tintin's theme is not as iconic as He's a Pirate. ;)

Just wait for the sequels. ;)

Is the "test of time" how long the general public remembers a score? For me, it's whether the score can continue to keep my interest after I become very familiar with it.

Come on, you know as well as I do that Tintin's theme is not as iconic as He's a Pirate. ;)

dude the movie just came out, it didn't have the time to grow on people yet. also, the score isn't saturated with tintin's theme either. it's actually used pretty sparingly in the score. but yea, wait for the sequels, i guarantee people will start to notice then, if not already.

I just don't see JW scoring the sequels, even though I woudl like him to.

The main thing I would like JW to score is Interstellar and the film is far away. The film might come just like Lincoln did, but what will be of JW by then?

How does the Maestro's foray into animated film scoring compare with Powell's highly regarded effort from a year ago?

alan, you know there isn't any real comparison, I mean really Powell isn't worthy of a quicky celebrity deathmatch.

Then how do you explain the 15,953 views, 123 likes, and 57 comments on my HTTYD suite video?

I avoid many times listening to the above scores in fear that their sheer power might run out, which has happened to me before, but doesn't happen to me with something like Tintin.

Well half of nothing is nothing right?

Half of nothing?

Of nothing?

I'm not even going to answer to that.

Are trying to say my comment is ridiculous in the realism sense, or that the Tintin DOES have power?

yes Tintin will stand the test of time. not because it's the best Williams score ever, but because it's JW and JW will be remembered long after John Powell

Where's the John Powell message board with an active community like here? And 237 pages of thread archives.

I'm sure those that voted for Powell are the usual suspects, Koray, Bloodboal....fans of other composers that come here to push how great their video game music is and that RCP is sometimes equal or superior to JW

Where's the John Powell message board with an active community like here? And 237 pages of thread archives.

Give it a few years... it took 30+ to get here.

They're all mediocre at best.

Giacchino is probably one of the better ones .Maybe Desplat but he always sounds the same

To me Powell is "slightly above" standard RCP in that the uses more orchestra and his music is somewhat better composed

I'm not the biggest Star Trek score fan but it's way better than HTTYD

And Let Me in and Super 8 is giving me a lot of hope for Giacchino

it's the Pixar stuff I can't get into

Wait - I thought this was a parody thread, no?

Are people really comparing Powell to Williams?

Jesus Christ.

please don't tell me manipulating one of the themes in sombre tones for one cue accounts for that.(emotion)

After seeing the movie, I think that's a fair point. It's not an emotional story.

But don't you think it's fair to argue that Williams may well be laying down the groundwork for future adventures and the burgeoning friendship and loyalty between Tintin and Haddock? I think his manipulation of a certain character's theme in Unicorn may yet develop into something more substantial in the further adventures. Speculation of course, but let's try to be a little less short-sighted on this.

What i'm against is to heap a score as TINTIN on pedestals it doesn't deserve. It's not THAT good only because it's JW and has more elaborate woodwind lines.

Well, it's subjective init. It's neither here nor there.

But don't you think it's fair to argue that Williams may well be laying down the groundwork for future adventures and the burgeoning friendship and loyalty between Tintin and Haddock? I think his manipulation of a certain character's theme in Unicorn may yet develop into something more substantial in the further adventures. Speculation of course, but let's try to be a little less short-sighted on this.

Williams did no wrong, the film hasn't more to offer, emotionally. But to trash Powell for his superficiality and lacking ability to write 'deep' music, while patting Williams on the back for doing the obvious moves a film composer just has to do? It's like awarding my mailman a medal for delivering the bills.

I am so really sorry in advance for this but, *ahem*

HAVE YOU LOST YOU F***ING MIND?????????????????????

Powell has 10% of John's talent and 4% of his knowledge

HELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO????????????????????????????????

Reality check PLEASE!

I am so really sorry in advance for this but, *ahem*

HAVE YOU LOST YOU F***ING MIND?????????????????????

Powell has 10% of John's talent and 4% of his knowledge

HELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO????????????????????????????????

Reality check PLEASE!

Thanks for setting my head straight. You know, it does indeed strange things sometimes...like developing its own opinions.

Pub, I've got nothing against Powell. I'm only talking about John Williams and Tintin.

In this thread? It's all about pissing on Powell. :biglaugh:

As for TINTIN, i don't hear anything more than busy and fun Williams in it, certainly nothing in the way of themes that seems unresolved. I doubt that future sequels will dig deeper, so the music will reflect that. It's a bit like HOME ALONE without STAR OF BETHLEHEM or the syrupy christmas music.