Film Music Festival in Kraków Official Thread

crocodile

• 10 months later...

I'm really excited for this year's edition of the festival. Among the guests are Dario Marianelli, Patrick Doyle, Lisa Gerrard, Elliot Goldenthal and... Gustavo Santaolalla. More to be announced soon. Can't wait for Goldenthal's Grand Gothic Suite from Batman films in particular. The last time he visited they played only a snippet (Gotham City Boogie, I think).

Doyle has offocially announced his attendance yesterday:

Karol

Indeed. That's a great line-up, Karol (and I'm not just saying that because I'm part of it). Looking forward to the events and the festivities!

I thought it was going to be either him or Powell. But when they said this morning there will be a big announcement in major radio station today... that's when it became obvious. And it made perfect sense as well, given this years' programme.

Karol

Absolutely. I was a bit worried for the festival earlier this year, when I only knew about the KON-TIKI bit that I'm involved in. Not that that isn't great, but they needed some more 'stars'. Well, now the roster is suddenly looking more impressive than any other film music event this year.

• 1 month later...

Great report, Karol, as usual. Wished i could have attended but my schedule is nearly as impossible as Zimmer's (if less handsomely paid) so i have to make out till the Desplat/Elfman double whammy on London.

Make sure you let me know. I'm going to see Desplat, too. We can grab a drink or something.

Oh and I contacted LSO. There might be a Q&A with Desplat before or after the concert. I'll share some info if/when they sort it.

And you should definitely visit Krakow at some point. :)

Karol

I spent three very intoxicated New Year celebrations in Krakow, around 1998 till 2001... ;) Desplat Q&A is 6:15, i think. Yeah, some friends from the Vienna Horner concert are going, too, so we try to make it a team.

London, December, google it.

Gee, thanks for the help.

However, I did find some information on the Desplat concert ("LSO on Film", the series is called, and it's on December 11):

http://lso.co.uk/144/LSO-on-Film-The-Magic-and-Majesty-of-Alexandre-Desplat/937

And here's the Elfman:

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/danny-elfman/default.aspx

It's a repeat of last year's Elfman/Burton concert, on December 12th.

As I saw the Elfman last year and am no big fan of Desplat, I think I'm going to skip these. So much film music stuff happening this year!

Desplat Q&A is 6:15, i think. Yeah, some friends from the Vienna Horner concert are going, too, so we try to make it a team.

Oh so it was announced then?

Karol

Desplat Q&A is 6:15, i think. Yeah, some friends from the Vienna Horner concert are going, too, so we try to make it a team.

Oh so it was announced then?

Karol

Yes, 6:15 the Barbican told me.

I didn't see you.

They really make this thing huge don't they? Big crowd too.

How are the performances? The Inception stuff sounded the best, the other ones from the preview, not so much (but that could just be the quality of the recording).

So you do. Now that you have tasted your 15 minutes of fame, will you be appearing on more film music festival videos? :)

First I need to acknowledge our acquaintance. ;)

Karol

Oh and Inc, it's a second and a half of fame. ;)

I said that now that you have had a taste of those 15 minutes, not that you have already enjoyed all those minutes. And yes it is better to savour them. ;)

• 4 months later...

The programme for this years' edition is up.

I'm not particularly overwhelmed as of yet. But it does have potential to be really great. Many of the composers featured aleady visited Krakow in previous years - Morris, Doyle, Goldenthal. But would be nice to see them again. Goldenthal seems to like Krakow, since it's it might be his fourth visit in the past four years.

The main question, of course, is whether Giacchino is going to turn up. With his summer's schedule, that is. But then, he attended all (most?) presentations of Star Trek so here's hoping. Plus, they're doing TV show gala as well, so Lost might be on the programme as well.

Hey, does it mean they're bringing Abel and Penny Dreadful?

Karol

Agreed, it's not the spectacular edition it was last year, but hey -- that's an unfair comparison, because last year was the greatest film music event of all time!

I really want to go, regardless of guests, but it may collide with a job-related project.

Yeah, I think the reaction comes from the fact it was such a spectacular gala last year.

Having said that, I had a similar reaction to previous programmes, too. It's only weeks before the event that it started to grow in my eyes. Plus, major guests still need to be announced. It could still be great experience.

Karol

• 9 months later...

They just announced the programme for 2016 edition.

I don't like this new website,. It doesn't mention that John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams and Cliff Martinez will be there. There might be more. Who knows, maybe Desplat will show up?

But it all looks varied an interesting: Polanski films, two concerts devoted to Hollywood animation (including one with the music of Batman: The Animated Series with some composers in attendance), The Witcher video game music, Golden Age music of Kaper and Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark live to projection? I'm in.

Karol

I will have seen Raiders by that time already. I'm attending the London performance (which, I'm sure, will sound better). But it's never too much of a good thing. :)

Karol

In any case, I hope to see you during one of these events next year, Thor! This year was a bit thin for me in terms of concerts. But I'm hoping to be more "mobile" next year.

Who knows, maybe it's time to get involved in those more actively?

Karol