Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

In case people didn't know, Bilbo has about 3-5 themes :P

So far, I've been able to identify two. I suppose the third one is only in A Very Respectable Hobbit, which I haven't listened to yet.

I like to consider Bilbo's main theme as one long theme (first half is the familiar Shire side, the second half is the Took-ish side), but Doug looks at it as a two part theme. There is Bilbo's Antics which appears at 1:54 in "an Unexpected Party". Then there's Bilbo's Adventure which you first hear in "The World is Ahead" and then its robust statement in the bonus track "Erebor".

That's 3 themes there (4 if you count Bilbo's main theme as 2 themes). The final one appears to be a small burglar motif Shore might have crafted for the character.

It's not the melody that's the problem. It's the treatment of the theme...way too popp-ish. And those AIYAYAYAYAs make me want to strangle someone.

Yes, the eagles arriving is nature's reclamation, but after that, you hear the new theme for the eagles and the flight to the Carrock, which is, like I said, based on the Ben Del Maestro solo in Forth Eorlingas. And after that, there is the Ents attack on Isengard music.

Really, I think if the score as heard on album wasn't tampered with so much in the film up to that point, I don't think people would have that much a problem with it.

I don't hear it Georg. It's just another statement of the Nature theme, followed by pseudo-Gandalf the White, then Ents action music, exactly as it did in "Theoden Rides Forth". I can hear that the Carrock music is based off of Del Maestro's solo though.

I see, I think I will have to do more sheet music ;)

That's actually one of Bilbo's main two part themes. The one you're specifying is his "Took-ish side".

I mean during the bouncy part, when the strings play it two bars before the great Shire rendition plays.

^^What he said.

It's not the melody that's the problem. It's the treatment of the theme...way too popp-ish. And those AIYAYAYAYAs make me want to strangle someone.

Yes, the eagles arriving is nature's reclamation, but after that, you hear the new theme for the eagles and the flight to the Carrock, which is, like I said, based on the Ben Del Maestro solo in Forth Eorlingas. And after that, there is the Ents attack on Isengard music.

Really, I think if the score as heard on album wasn't tampered with so much in the film up to that point, I don't think people would have that much a problem with it.

I don't hear it Georg. It's just another statement of the Nature theme, followed by pseudo-Gandalf the White, then Ents action music, exactly as it did in "Theoden Rides Forth". I can hear that the Carrock music is based off of Del Maestro's solo though.

I see, I think I will have to do more sheet music ;)

Looking forward to it!

That's actually one of Bilbo's main two part themes. The one you're specifying is his "Took-ish side".

I mean during the bouncy part, when the strings play it two bars before the great Shire rendition plays.

Bilbo's main theme - Tookish side

Liked the melody of Into the West of course but Annie Lennox's vocals were far too harsh for that track. Ultimately, it didn't do much for me. I happen to like Neil Finn's song far more, but I guess that's what being a big fan of Crowded House will do for you...

Somehow I have always felt that Shore was after Björk for Gollum's Song and then settled for the half-Icelanding Emiliana Torrini because he couldn't get her. I know there is no proof of this, but somehow Emiliana's singing style seems to evoke Björk.

I had really hoped they would have gotten Loreena McKennitt for one off The Hobbit songs, but I have a feeling they are going to go with all guys for those. Which is a pity b/c Mckennitt would be perfect for it. At one point she was supposedly in negotiations for one of the LOTR songs, but that fell through.

The Neil Finn song as presented on The Hobbit soundtrack is almost unlistenable.

The Neil Finn song as presented on The Hobbit soundtrack is almost unlistenable.

Yea, and its only SLIGHTLY more listenable in the film itself.

Somehow I have always felt that Shore was after Björk for Gollum's Song and then settled for the half-Icelanding Emiliana Torrini because he couldn't get her. I know there is no proof of this, but somehow Emiliana's singing style seems to evoke Björk.

No proof?

PJ asked her several times. She had no interest.

Yea, and its only SLIGHTLY more listenable in the film itself.

I just passes me by.

I don't necessarily have problem w/Finn or his vocal style...it's the arrangement as presented on the soundtrack, and to a lesser extent, the film, that I think kind of fails.

Here's something interesting I found on the Loreena Mckennitt website:

Q:I am very interested in the J. R. R. Tolkien masterpiece The Lord Of The Rings. Why didn’t Loreena cooperate with making the music for this film? Doesn't she like the books?

A:Loreena is indeed a great fan of The Lord Of The Rings books. When the soundtracks for the three Peter Jackson films were being prepared, Loreena was flattered to be contacted and invited to have discussions about those soundtracks.

However, as is often the case with such large-scale projects, there were a great number of artists asked to be involved, many logistic and creative arrangements to be satisfied, and – to make a long story short - the final arrangement of participating musicians did not feature Loreena. In many cases, it simply isn’t possible for everyone’s wish list – the people preparing the soundtrack, and the artists who have been contacted – to be big enough to include every avenue that has been explored.

Loreena certainly admires Howard Shore’s work (he is the Oscar-winning composer who wrote the main soundtrack and oversaw many of the collaborations) and she hopes to have an opportunity to work with him in future.

No proof?

PJ asked her several times. She had no interest.

Ah I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

I believe it was pretty common knowledge

Well, when we're talking about film scores, "common knowledge" is a relative term. :)

Indeed. I have read a lot about the music of LotR but this tidbit has escaped me until this day.

The piano arrangements book will be released on February 9th - at much more reasonable price than downloading each piece individually!

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit----Unexpected-Journey-Piano/dp/073909159X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358516933&sr=1-3&keywords=the+hobbit+shore

Perhaps Jason will do something along those lines with his analysis.

I am writing a longer piece but it is not finished yet I'm afraid. It does have listing of all the themes, old and new but no time stamps as I am doing a track-by-track analysis and will elaborate on the themes there. It will focus on the music as heard on the SE with some commentary on the music as heard in the film and on the few alternate versions found on the regular soundtrack album.

Page 33 and counting. Still sneaking around trolls in Trollshaws.

I think you are the second person to have noticed the penguin and polar bear joke. ;)

I'll find the most horrible insult in all the tongues of Elves, Men, Dwarves and even Orcs to pay back such rash talk, just you wait...

It is right on the tip of my tongue....

No wait it is a stick insect!

Oh no Luke Skywalker (Manuel), our resident ornithologist, pointed this out much earlier.

Is there a thematic breakdown available here for the SE cd?

I wanna start to discover all the themes.

http://music-muse.com/2012/12/28/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-howard-shore/

It has a thematic breakdown. I didn't expand on all the themes yet though, it is going through a revision process.