Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

It could be a chapter in the post production extras.

Hopefully so.

Were ye not once our jester, Incanus?

Thy jokes and tricks have runeth dry since thy have been granteth Power of Moderation.

I have grown weary of your content, your peacemongering!

Jester? I? Never!

A moderate moderator? Yes! Even before I was granted my mantle of Moderator.

So...

Is anyone actually looking forward to the EE, the other 2 movies? It just seems to be bitching and whining here!

Yes I am looking forward these films but with more trepidation than the LotR movies. Somehow after FotR I was more at ease about the 2 sequels than with The Hobbit.

A mantle of many colours?

Grey of course. Between the light and the dark, mix of both.

Londong Philip not recording DOS.

I went back and Listened to the NZSO sections of FOTR...

Suffice it to say, I don't think I will have a problem.

I'm longing for the releases of DoS and TABA actually. I'm just very cautious about getting my expectations up. We may reach the hights of LotR, we may stay on the level of AUJ, or we may see worse. At this point, I genuinely think anything is possible.

I'm only certain that Howard Shore will deliver the goods, it's up to Psycho Jackson to capitalise on them, and not crush them to dust.

In fact, I'm getting the impression more and more that Howard Shore may be the only person on this project that genuinely knows what he is doing.

I went back and Listened to the NZSO sections of FOTR...

which are?

The whole Moria sequence?

from my understanding the whole section from A Journey in the Dark, to The Bridge of Khazad-Dum is NZSO, the EE stuff (Moria) is LPO.

You can kind of tell the difference in the Brass, its a slight bit "thinner" sounding, (also the Harp seems a little different e;g: Gollum, and the Fellowship theme as they realize that Frodo is alive in Balin's Tomb) Just compare for example the Isengard Stuff, with the Bridge of Khazad-Dum.

Jim Ware:

http://www.lyndhursthouse.plus.com/fotr_ost_breakdown.pdf

FOTR OST 12 – A Journey in the Dark

The first part of this track and sections of CR D2 T12 are the same recording. EE sections were recorded with the LPO and edited into the existing NZSO recording.

Also, Doug says in his book (and the Annotated Scores), that the NZSO recorded the whole Moria sequence. (though the whole thing could have been re-recorded, the above statement makes it seem otherwise)

To be honest I can't hear any difference between Moria or the other parts of the score. Performance or mixing wise.

Ditto. But then again I am not a hyper-audiophile.

As long as the end result is a more cohesive film version of the score, there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm really curious about the NZ Orchestra.

Would be nice to get some of those Maori grunters again for the Thrain flashback sequence - presuming, that is, he ends up in Moria (perfect opportunity for a Balrog glimpse).

Just listened to this Horner interview (thanks to JamieC for posting it), and was remembered of Jackson, when Horner says with editing technology, it's now possible to edit music in a way that feels perfect for the director, but doesn't necessarily feel right for a composer.

It's around 04:00 to 05:00.

Speaking of themes, I was wondering if you lot had seen this, and if so, what you think about this person's ideas:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=632458;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

For all I know the poster could be on here by another name...

Speaking of themes, I was wondering if you lot had seen this, and if so, what you think about this person's ideas:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=632458;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

For all I know the poster could be on here by another name...

Yes I noticed this on the Filmtracks messageboard a few days ago. Very helpful and very astutely compiled list.

Wow, took long enough for a list like that to show up online!

I'll have to compare it to the one I was working on....

Oh you wanted only a list... I could have done that ages ago. Now I have to finish my write-up ASAP before it is old news. ;)

Well you had over 6 months!

Well I do have other activities in my life than writing musical analysis. Job, friends, other hobbies you know. :P

I thought a wizard was never late?

Hey that's true! He arrives precisely when he means to! I am safe on this account! I can't ever be late. :)