Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

I guess the fact the Erebor thematic suite material was mostly ditched in the film (and score) caused us not to focus too much on finding any renditions of it. Woe is us!

I hear it now. Playing with the same intervals you hear in "Erebor". But yes, I didn't notice that before.

We have been blind and deaf KK. And in our blindness and deafness the theme was left by the wayside. Now it has returned, returned to haunt us.

How can a theme be unused if it was used in the film?

Well mostly unused. It was never developed further and appears only in fragments in the first film.

If it was not identified by the Holy JWFan Order of Anal Thematic Identification, then it does not exist!

It has now resurfaced from the dead. And we shall codify it!

I did infact notice it, but only posted it on TORN, since I don't think I was on here at the time.

I know none of you, least of all BB, will believe me, but I may just be able to conjure proof if I could find the blasted thread.

I did infact notice it, but only posted it on TORN, since I don't think I was on here at the time.

I know none of you, least of all BB, will believe me, but I may just be able to conjure proof if I could find the blasted thread.

You should have been more vociferous earlier. Now you seem like a glory hog!

There it is! Secretly I leaned towards the former, but didn't commit to either as I didn't want to embarrass myself incase spectacularly wrong (as has happened many times before).

I suppose I should thank you BB for saving me probable hours of searching...unfortunately I just can't bring myself to do it, I'm sorry.

There it is! Secretly I leaned towards the former, but didn't commit to either as I didn't want to embarrass myself incase spectacularly wrong (as has happened many times before).

I suppose I should thank you BB for saving me probable hours of searching...unfortunately I just can't bring myself to do it, I'm sorry.

I believe now. BBoal just saved your face.

And I know there is no worse thing than to be ridiculed by the internet community for misinterpreting Howard Shore's theme from his Hobbit trilogy.

You owe him one Barny!

I think Doug's little twitter comment just showed how some of the thematic statements can be very close to two themes at once or these ideas share so similar roots it becomes difficult to identify them. I initially thought that statement in Roast Mutton was Erebor Theme but now as Doug mentioned this "unused" theme I immediately thought of the abandoned Adventure Theme in Erebor thematic suite.

So say all who live to see such technological upheavals. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the technology that is given us. Search engines have some part to play in all this, for good or for evil. You were meant to find the post BB and that is an encouraging thought.

2896.jpg

I find it amusing that during the first Azog scene in #TheHobbit, #HowardShore has the chorus singing (in Dwarvish), "Arm yourself!"

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/570359902469693441

Hehe such a disarming pun that one. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

So I need some opinions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9UGJRNVg3YmdVU3M/view?usp=sharing

Is the music at 0:47 a early version that was replaced with a revised version in the film (heard at 1:09 in this video), or was the film version it created editorially (by removing some of the string notes and leaving just the three rising notes)?

I would suggest the version at 0:47 is an earlier version of the piece and the next one is a revision done at the scoring sessions at PJ's behest.

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely but is this performance authorized by Shore?!!! We can't have rogue public performances of this music no matter how lovely the arrangement!

Really makes me wish Shore had had a chance to keep Bilbo's themes in the scores throughout. This is truly a beautiful arrangement.

• 1 month later...

Yes, we've moaned and whined about it plenty SUH! ;)

And in case you missed it, the action cue for the eagles rescue in the film (AUJ) is just a tweaked rehash of "Theoden Rides Forth/Isengard Unleashed".

That reminds me, KK: I recently reread this post of yours (stumbled upon it as I was searching for something else). A fun read! Ah, the good ol' days!

Ugh! Verbose fanboy dreck!!