The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014 Film)

Jay

Marc Webb's film isn't perfect (it's a big studio picture after all), but it's infinitely better than Raimi's films.

No.

Spider-Man beats the hell out of Amazing Spider-Man. TASM had a story that was a constructed piece of trash. Still better than SM3 though.

It's same story from Spider-Man with a different villain.

... and far less finesse in execution.

It may be the same basic story, but in execution it's very different, and quite clumsy and stupid. Thinking about it, it's not even the same story, except for the origin story, which is also different.

Scientist is under pressure from bigger corporation than himself, takes self-made serum, turns into evil crazy monster (although Norman went insane instead of becoming a lizard man), while Peter Parker learns to harness his power as Spider-Man. Just told like shit instead of having finesse.

Scientist is under pressure from bigger corporation than himself, takes self-made serum, turns into evil crazy monster (although Norman went insane instead of becoming a lizard man), while Peter Parker learns to harness his power as Spider-Man.

Except we don't give a shit about Connors because he's not related to Peter in any way, while Osborn was almost like a father figure to him in Raimi's film, making the whole confrontation with the Goblin more personal (and thus more interesting).

But his father and him were friends!

TASM is a sterile blockbuster production. SM had more of a soul, in spite of some typical patriotism.

Well, the patriotism was a direct result of 9/11, so I forgive it in the first film. The other two were just there to make it blatantly obvious that they were just copying the structure of the Superman films.

I enjoyed Amazing when I first saw it, but the more I thought about it the more I realized how empty it was. It was just a remake of a ten year old film, with a different villain but so many other aspects identical that it really hurt the film. The marketing was all about Peter's "secret history" let by the time the studio was done, we were left with an empty remake that was better than Raimi's effort in some ways, and weaker in others.

Neither series has done anything perfectly, but are clearly going after two different audiences. Raimi was making films off of the Spidey comics of the 60s and 70s, while Webb clearly is using the Ultimate universe. What you're left with is a lot of familiarity in Webb's movie because it doesn't try to do anything different. I'll give the next one a chance as I'm a big Spidey fan, but I am past the point in thinking that we'll get a really good Spidey film anytime soon. There's just too many factors against it at this point for me. At this point, the 90s animated series, which reused the same shots of Peter swinging around NYC every episode, is probably still the best adaptation for me.

Scientist is under pressure from bigger corporation than himself, takes self-made serum, turns into evil crazy monster (although Norman went insane instead of becoming a lizard man), while Peter Parker learns to harness his power as Spider-Man.

Except we don't give a shit about Connors because he's not related to Peter in any way, while Osborn was almost like a father figure to him in Raimi's film, making the whole confrontation with the Goblin more personal (and thus more interesting).

(Y)

TASM is a sterile blockbuster production. SM had more of a soul, in spite of some typical patriotism.

Well, the patriotism was a direct result of 9/11, so I forgive it in the first film. The other two were just there to make it blatantly obvious that they were just copying the structure of the Superman films.

I enjoyed Amazing when I first saw it, but the more I thought about it the more I realized how empty it was. It was just a remake of a ten year old film, with a different villain but so many other aspects identical that it really hurt the film. The marketing was all about Peter's "secret history" let by the time the studio was done, we were left with an empty remake that was better than Raimi's effort in some ways, and weaker in others.

Neither series has done anything perfectly, but are clearly going after two different audiences. Raimi was making films off of the Spidey comics of the 60s and 70s, while Webb clearly is using the Ultimate universe. What you're left with is a lot of familiarity in Webb's movie because it doesn't try to do anything different. I'll give the next one a chance as I'm a big Spidey fan, but I am past the point in thinking that we'll get a really good Spidey film anytime soon. There's just too many factors against it at this point for me. At this point, the 90s animated series, which reused the same shots of Peter swinging around NYC every episode, is probably still the best adaptation for me.

I agree on just about everything you said, however, (despite some bad things like Venom), I think Spectacular Spider-Man was the best adaptation of him so far. Raimi's is second only.

(Y)

I agree on just about everything you said, however, (despite some bad things like Venom), I think Spectacular Spider-Man was the best adaptation of him so far. Raimi's is second only.

I always tend to forget about Spectacular. It was really good, but the fact that it just ended ruined it for me. Its definitely a great twist on Spidey using the Ultimate universe, I just wish their was more of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Electro, Green Goblin AND Rhino? It's like SM3 all over again.

Why don't they just make the Goblin closer to the look in the comic book? Surely a guy with a well-made goblin mask isn't more ridiculous than a Star Wars-impersonator shooting lightning?

This poster looks just like the rest of the movie. Fucking awful. Rhino's look sucks, I've already posted my thoughts on Mr. Fre-I mean, Electro. Also, Harry-Goblin before Norman, no bueno. Spidey's suit is gorgeous though.

There was a rumor, posted somewhere on SuperHeroHype around last summer, with someone giving out leaked info about the movie, and they'd been right about leaked info from TASM1 (no snout for lizard, parents storyline being dropped midway, important scenes & Connors family getting cut out.) Also, there's a video or another description of (Foxx? I think) during an interview with DeHann and he said something along the lines of Dane being the Goblin, and DeHaan gave a smirk. There's also this, apparently leaked storyboards :

ASM1.jpg

Way to go to separate yourself from the established, successful films that came before :rolleyes:

You'd think that once they got the origin story out of the way, they would want to do something more original, or close to the comic book. Rebooting a series just to deviate from the origins again. Hooray.

Must've been removed. But no, it was a full length trailer, and it showed some pretty big money shots & spoilers.

Oh, and here's what Goblin looks like, and yep, it's Harry alright. This movie just gets worse and worse the more I see of it.

1474545_10152083449746788_1047891944_n.j

I think that looks decent enough!

Electro, Rhino and Goblin are in the film and we get Doc Ock and Vulture hinted at... I wonder what they could be building up to... :lick: