Michael Giacchino's Jupiter Ascending (2015)

luke905

I know. I thought you were saying that one wasn't used at all, and I was just saying that both were used. I agree--I think "With Guts" was written pre-film, given how they apply it to multiple action scenes and it's not tied to a specific scene.

I'm sorry if there was any confusion. :)

Most of the material on the album is pre-film stuff. There was enough time to attack things in different ways.

Film chronology is ultimately irrelevant as the score wasn't written that way.

The album is 2/3 pre-filming stuff, and 1/3 to-picture stuff.

The pre-filming stuff:

1-01 Jupiter Ascending - 1st Movement (4:13)

1-02 Jupiter Ascending - 2nd Movement (3:25)

1-03 Jupiter Ascending - 3rd Movement (5:55)

1-04 Jupiter Ascending - 4th Movement (3:26)

1-06 I Hate My Life (2:07)

1-08 The Abrasax Family Tree (9:14)

1-10 The Titus Clipper (7:05)

2-02 A Wedding Darker (6:07)

2-05 It's A Hellava Chase (8:13)

2-09 Flying Dinosaur Fight (5:28)

2-10 Commitment (9:57)

2-11 Flying Dinosaur Fight with Guts (Bonus track) (2:35)

TOTAL TIME - 1:07:40

The to-picture stuff:

1-05 The Houses Of Abrasax (2:19)

1-07 Scrambled Eggs (1:09)

1-09 The Shadow Chase (5:49)

1-11 Mutiny On The Bounty Hunter (4:41)

1-12 One Reincarnation Under God (4:06)

2-01 Digging Up The Flirt (2:23)

2-03 Regenex Is People! (3:22)

2-04 The Lies Have It (2:21)

2-06 Dinosaur To New Heights (0:49)

2-07 Family Jeopardy (5:07)

2-08 Abdicate This! (3:28)

TOTAL TIME - 35:31

I am assuming you have a source for this, otherwise you would have said "I think"

Well, it's not in the film.

In either case, the stuff you listed as pre-filming stuff forms a very nice listening programme of its own (if you eliminate the bonus track, that is).

Karol

The pre-filming stuff:

1-01 Jupiter Ascending - 1st Movement (4:13)

1-02 Jupiter Ascending - 2nd Movement (3:25)

1-03 Jupiter Ascending - 3rd Movement (5:55)

1-04 Jupiter Ascending - 4th Movement (3:26)

1-06 I Hate My Life (2:07)

1-08 The Abrasax Family Tree (9:14)

1-10 The Titus Clipper (7:05)

2-02 A Wedding Darker (6:07)

2-05 It's A Hellava Chase (8:13)

2-09 Flying Dinosaur Fight (5:28)

2-10 Commitment (9:57)

2-11 Flying Dinosaur Fight with Guts (Bonus track) (2:35)

TOTAL TIME - 1:07:40

The to-picture stuff:

1-05 The Houses Of Abrasax (2:19)

1-07 Scrambled Eggs (1:09)

1-09 The Shadow Chase (5:49)

1-11 Mutiny On The Bounty Hunter (4:41)

1-12 One Reincarnation Under God (4:06)

2-01 Digging Up The Flirt (2:23)

2-03 Regenex Is People! (3:22)

2-04 The Lies Have It (2:21)

2-06 Dinosaur To New Heights (0:49)

2-07 Family Jeopardy (5:07)

2-08 Abdicate This! (3:28)

TOTAL TIME - 35:31

I like this list and approve of your use of the word 'stuff'.

Haha

What is a better way to describe the recordings?

I wish there was a way to tell which film cues were Robert Ziegler conducted, and which were Simonec conducted

Also, I wonder if the "to-film" stuff was written literally to picture, like a traditional film score with the music written to match on screen beats, etc... or if they were also written wild, but just got written later as the film came into shape.

I assume the Varese liner notes will shed some light on the process.

Giacchino said he wrote 80 minutes of music, they edited the film to it and used 55% (I think) of it and then he scored the rest as he would do normally with normal sessions.

Karol

From what I heard in film. It seems like he wrote core of the material outside of the film, and then made minor adjustments and variations to better suit the film.

Either way, the score was great in film. Zimmer and team could learn a thing or two from putting pre-film written music to picture.

I know, I meant more are "pre-filming" and "to-picture" the best way to describe the different recordings?

Away-from-picture and to-picture? ;)

Haha

What is a better way to describe the recordings?

I wish there was a way to tell which film cues were Robert Ziegler conducted, and which were Simonec conducted

Was there an LA chorus credited? I suspect that any to-picture stuff with choir was recorded in London. Wicki recorded 'about an hour' of pre-filming stuff in 2013, with Ziegler taking over for to-picture stuff in 2014.

The LA sessions may only have been last minute pick-ups - possibly originally planned for London but postponed when the film was delayed?

I undesatand that it is a 2-disc set. Does that mean that the score is complete, and, if not, what's missing?

The 2CD OST contains all of the music that was recorded back in 2013 before the movie was filmed, and then two thirds of the "to-picture" cues that were recorded in 2014, leaving a smattering of short cues unreleased.

Well, I take it all back.

I'm glad I listened to this plenty before seeing the film, it enchanced the viewing experience a lot for me, enjoying the pieces (and, in this case, mostly parts of pieces) show up and be given such stunning imagery. It doesn't seem like a 'hack job' of a score as much as a greater use of tracking than we're used to (as so much was recorded as concept music, as we know).

As for our album, I think quite a few of those track titles are cursory, considering how material is moved around so much! I also found it interesting how so many orchestrations and mixes were used that differ from the albums; that's quite uncommon too, no? My appreciation for the themes has grown too, as they are more subtle than, say, John Carter's, but possibly no less developed.

I'm looking in particular for a quiet statement of what I think is Cain's theme, the ascending theme that closes in such style Commitment and Family Jeopardy. Can anyone find it? I'm looking forward to deeper score analysis of this one, and hopefully a full release with some of the great missing cues and alternates.

Saw the film in the theater today, and as expected seeing the film has made me like this score even more (that's basically how it always happens for me).

It's much clearer now what the themes are and what they represent. I'll try to write something about that soon, and I might try to figure out the chronological order of all the music used too.

That unreleased short version of I Hate My Life was ace!

I think I prefer the unreleased version over the album one. And yes, my appreciation of this score has grown quite a bit.

Helluva Chase and Commitment especially seem more epic to me know that I know the scenes they go with.

Was Wedding Darker used in the film at all? Cause Helluva Chase basically covered the entire wedding from what I recall

Nope. They used a slightly modified version of "It's a Hellava Chase" for that scene. It's a pity, I feel like the scene would have been better with "A Wedding Darker".

Hoping someone is up for some wider analysis of this score, since there's so much material all over the place. I might get on Audacity and cut up my own album too, partitioning quieter parts and action scenes; for example, Cain's excellent theme given brooding build-up in the middle of Family Jeopardy.

Ziegler is London-based, isn't he? So maybe he conducted some of the pre-film stuff. Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure that Ludwig Wicki conducted all the pre-film stuff in 2013. The Ziegler and Simonec sessions were the 'to-picture' stuff - remember that Ziegler's sessions were only three months before the film was originally due for release.

I'm a bit late to the game on this one, but this could be my favourite Giacchino. It certainly competes with my second favourite - Into Darkness. I'm wondering if someone can tell me what cues make up the end credits. I'm think there are parts of Commitment but I'm not sure. Also, is the finale cue on the album - the flying scene at the very end?

The final scene with Tatum and Kunis on the skyscraper is the beginning of "Commitment". It has a longer passage at the end before going into the big heroic bit at the start of the end credits.

I forget exactly what music was used in the credits, but I know it's all on the album - I remember The Abrasax Family Tree was there, and it ended with It's A Hellava Chase.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Giacchino's massive score for Jupiter Ascending is now available! With over 100 minutes of music for orchestra and choir, this 2-CD set features an expanded CD booklet with liner notes from the composer and photos from the Abbey Road Studios recording sessions! Pick it up - http://tinyurl.com/mgyje68

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/374856429373315

Well that's nice Varese, but I for one haven't received a shipping notice yet.