Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

I will never understand the mentality of theater chains who choose to force their own intermission on films that aren't supposed to have one.  I'm very glad no American theaters do this

I've seen all three LOTR Extended Editions in the cinema (and another time saw FOTR EE and TTT EE projected on 35MM film) and they didn't even have an intermission!

6 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Oh man

I havent experienced an intermission since last century

what theater did you even go to stefancos?

The theatre formaly known as JT. (Now Vue)

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've seen all three LOTR Extended Editions in the cinema (and another time saw FOTR EE and TTT EE projected on 35MM film) and they didn't even have an intermission!

So you keep saying every time i mention the intermissions! ?

Film reviews can be great in that they present an interesting point of view on a work. But ultimately it's what you think that matters; in general reviews are interesting but deciding whether to see a movie based on them is probably not the best option.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I will never understand the mentality of theater chains who choose to force their own intermission on films that aren't supposed to have one.  I'm very glad no American theaters do this

The worst are "overtures" when it's just one or two cues on a continuous loop!

Best Star Trek film since First Contact!

There are a few things that don't quite work, but most of it does, really well.

Some moving nods to TOS and dedications to Leonard Nimoy and Anton.

Good score too. Not subtle, but effective.

That's really not that hard come to think of it.....

It's genetically similar to the last two, but Lin is a slightly different (better) director. The story finally doesnt involve Earth at all, and gosh darnit, when Spock goes though the belongings of Spock Prime and sees the picture of the original Enterprise crew.... Its actually really moving.

Star Trek Beyond

Ruminations.....

Spoilers obviously

The film starts with a whole bunch of logo's and no titles at all. Right into a silly mission where Kirk tries to negotiate a truce with some very little aliens.

Right after that we see that Chris Pine has really grown into the role, he looks more seasoned now. No longer the brash kid from 09. He is a very good Kirk.

Same for Quinto actually. He will never replace Nimoy, and as Spock doesnt have the voice of his illustrious predecessor. But he's quietly make it his own. There are a few moments in the film that really do honor Nimoy and are a better final tribute then the meaningless cameo in Darkness.

Kark Urban is the best part of this film. He's outstanding as Bones. And the film wisely partner him with Spock for most of it. Giving some genuinly good Spovck/Bones moments, ranging from moving to incredible funny.

When Spock suggests to use the sensors to track a rare Vulcan mineral that's present in the necklace he gave Uhura and Bones comments "You gave your girlfriend a tracker?" That got some big laughs, as did the call back to it later on.

That's the films best asset. It's very funny, and warm, and occasionally moving, and silly (who would have thunk that having the Beastie Boys in Star trek would actually work?)

The plot is actually quite decent. The Enterprise goes on a rescue mission and gets hacks to bits by millions of drones. Most of the crew gets taken prisoner by an alien called Krall.

Krall is a good example of a character and performance that doesnt seem to work at all at first, but the story slowly reveals layers about the character, and suddenly it does. In the end though it's still a Khan like revenge plot of sorts. Which is something this film franchise just cant seem to get away from. But at least the setting is interesting and rather original.

There are tons of references to Star Trek in general. The Enterprise's saucer section is seen burning up in the atmosphere like in II, and crashing into the ground like in Generations. The Franklin's design resembles the Starfleet ships from Enterprise from the outside. But the inside looks a bit more like sets from the early TOS films.

There are some unlikely bits which are with noting. Krall and 2 or 3 others are apparently able to wield technology powerful enough to destroy Starships and a huge starbase with millions of people?

Jaylah is a really fun character. But we are expected to believe that she more or less fixed up the crashed Franklin (or her house, as she calls it) to such an extent that it can actually fly into outer space again?

Like in TFA it seems starships can crash into rocks and not have a scratch on them.

There are aspects of the plot that eluded me. Like the exact origin of the artifact that can apparently kill millions. It's a story told on the move and with as little exposition as possible and I admire that. But I did lose a few things I guess.

I dont know if it was like this on the previous two, but in the credits the main cast is listed alphabetically, meaning lead actor Chris Pine is actually the third credited. This might have been done so Anton Yelchin is the last of the regulars to be listed. The CGI filled credits fade to a commemoration to Leonard Nimoy and then to Anton. Which again is quite moving.

Really really good fun, and I'll see it again soon. The first time since 1995 I will watch a star Trek film more then once during it's original run.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Is Spock Prime, Nero, or Khan referenced at all?  What about trilbbles?  Khan's magic blood?

Spock prime is mentioned several times throughout. It's actually part of Spock's arc in this film. He's considering leaving Starfleet and continuing Spock Prime's work on New Vulcan.

Nero and Khan are not referenced in any way. Nor are Tribbles. Thankfully.

This is for the most part a self contained story, though it's very mindful of it's place in the larger franchise.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if the actress didn't want to come back, or if they never bothered asking

It would have not really fitted Kirk's arc in this film to have a steady girlfriend on board.

Just got back from seeing it.  My verdict:  It was fine.

Not even sure where I'd rank it among nu-Trek.  Maybe 3rd actually.  Either way, it's lacking something essential at its core, just like the other two.  Fun and entertainment to be had for sure, though.

Well who knows what the future will bring, but its the Trek-y-ist of the three existing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 1:28 PM, Jay said:

Well who knows what the future will bring, but its the Trek-y-ist of the three existing.

How do you even begin to qualify that opinion? 

Wha?  I've seen countless hours of Star Trek stuff

Star Beyond Beyond is easily more Star Trek-y than ST09 or STID.

Do you disagree?

The characters are age appropriate for the first time. Not young and cocky versions of the classic characters.

It doesnt take place on Earth at all.

Rich is right though Jason, you arent a Trekkie.

Do you have any Star Trek merchandise apart from the scores? Shirts? A belt?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Star Beyond Beyond is easily more Star Trek-y than ST09 or STID.

Do you disagree?

I never said I did or didn't. I simply just asked you to explain your opinion because it's cool to quote other people. You can't. Duly noted. Moving on. 

6 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

I never said I did or didn't. I simply just asked you to explain your opinion because it's cool to quote other people. You can't. Duly noted. Moving on. 

What?  I still don't understand exactly what it is you are trying to say.

I think you're trying to say I'm not qualified to say that Star Trek Beyond is more Star-Trek-y than ST09 or STID..... is that right?

If that is what you're trying to say, then why do you have that opinion?

Anyways, I personally think STB is more Star Trek-y than ST09 or STID because it involves actual exploration of a new foreign planet (and nebula), more classic character interaction between the main cast (especially Spock and Bones), actual discussion of some ideals and philosophies instead of just revenge and staying ahead of the revenger all the time (though admittedly not much), and features some technobabble to get themselves out of the situations they find themselves in.  It does ultimately devolve into one endless action scene after another, but before then its certainly more Trek-y than the action-first ST09 and STID.

Again, do you disagree?  Is there anyone out there who thinks ST09 or STID is more Star-Trek-y than STB?

Why are we even having this conversation, anyway?  Why did you even respond to a post I made 10 days ago to discuss this now?

If ten days is too long to respond to comments, why can I still view old comments? You need to make this forum like Facebook, where old posts vanish, if you're so concerned about old hat. 

I still don't understand what you are trying to get at?

Why can't you explain yourself properly?

I write paragraphs and you respond to one tiny part without answering my original question at all?  Why?

I don't need to read your paragraph. I just see you wrote a lot of words after because. That's all I wanted to see. You depended your cut and paste of someone else's opinion without saying well because as your answer. Thank you. 

24 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

That's all I wanted to see. You depended your cut and paste of someone else's opinion without saying well because as your answer. 

I depended... what?

This I think (I still don't understand exactly what you're after) is what you're looking for:

"I personally think STB is more Star Trek-y than ST09 or STID because it involves actual exploration of a new foreign planet (and nebula), more classic character interaction between the main cast (especially Spock and Bones), actual discussion of some ideals and philosophies instead of just revenge and staying ahead of the revenger all the time (though admittedly not much), and features some technobabble to get themselves out of the situations they find themselves in.  It does ultimately devolve into one endless action scene after another, but before then its certainly more Trek-y than the action-first ST09 and STID."

I still don't exactly understand what his question for me is?  He seems to think I formed my opinion that STB is more Trek-y than ST09 and STID by "quoting review taglines" for some reason?  I haven't read a single STB review; I formed that opinion by watching the film!

And then I wrote a whole paragraph about why I personally feel its more Trek-y than ST09 or STID, and he ignored that part of my post and claimed I  was "depended your cut and paste of someone else's opinion"?  How in the world was I doing that?  Whose opinion does he think I'm going by?  Is it even an opinion to think STB is more Trek-y than the first two?  Isn't that rather obvious to anyone who has seen all three films?

I'm honestly lost.  No offense to Rich at all, I just literally don't understand what he's trying to say here.

I *think* he might be trying to say I'm not "qualified" (whatever that even means) to declare that STB is more Trek-y than ST09 or STID because I haven't seen every last second of every Trek TV show, but I'm honestly not sure.

I am pretty sure he's seen all the shows and movies, and he recently discussed re-watching TNG and DS9 on Netflix with his wife.

I guess?  It's still not entirely clear to me what offense he took to my post, and doesn't seem to want to explain himself or read my responses to his questions?

It's all a bit odd.  Oh well.

So, is this what you were looking for:

"I personally think STB is more Star Trek-y than ST09 or STID because it involves actual exploration of a new foreign planet (and nebula), more classic character interaction between the main cast (especially Spock and Bones), actual discussion of some ideals and philosophies instead of just revenge and staying ahead of the revenger all the time (though admittedly not much), and features some technobabble to get themselves out of the situations they find themselves in.  It does ultimately devolve into one endless action scene after another, but before then its certainly more Trek-y than the action-first ST09 and STID."

Or are you after something else from me?

In the spirit of friendship, I will never ask you to explain one of your opinions again. I just won't want to deal with the song and dance you'd give me. 

I own a promotional TShirt for the Star Trek: The Original Series CD box set, probably the nerdiest thing I own.  And I proposed to my wife while wearing it!