Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

I really enjoyed that sequence, as I said Sher does a great job with Thrain. But Azog looks much better in the second Azanulbizar flashback - more like he does in DoS.

I take it you're not feeling the scene then?

My favourite aspect of these films (indeed Tolkien's books in general) is the Dwarves and their history, so I dig these kind of flashbacks a lot, and indeed the whole Thrain arc.

Music highlights:

Beorn intro

World of Men: Laketown as a a brass fanfare!
More Politicians of laketown.
Braga has a motif now?
Wistfull statement of the Heirs of Durin for a discussion of the prophecy
Healing of Thrain.
Also, the ring theme is tracked and layed over scenes depicting the Dwarf Ring.

Ok, the first flashback... TRACKED MUSIC! Using briefly "Durins Theme" and some sound effects. Poorly FX.

There is a short stint of unreleased Durin theme though in between the tracked bits.

When Jay gets a chance to see that scene (it is on YouTube, but he may want to watch the EE in full, which is perfectly understandable), I'm interested to know if the music chimes with what he knows/thinks should be there.

Guess what!

The music that was interrupted by Conrad Pope's phone ringing in the score production diary is the music for the second Moria battle flashback

when Azog is taking Thrain's ring

!

I'll just leave this here:

Durin's Folk (Complete Extended Version)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9TTVQREVfN2hNVmc/view?usp=sharing

There is a short extension of music for the Laketowners talking about the prophecy, due to shots of Alfrid being inserted.

Guess what!

The music that was interrupted by Conrad Pope's phone ringing in the score production diary is the music for the second Moria battle flashback

when Azog is taking Thrain's ring

!

Heh, neat.

If I heard it correctly, the tail end of Feast of Starlight (the extended ring theme) is tracked into the Gandalf/Thorin prologue as well.

Yep, I noted that on here yesterday.

Some great new music here. Not sure if 'House of Durin' during the prologue flashback was new, but after that, during the discussion of Thror's Ring, they definitely track some music from the end of 'Feast of Starlight', where Bilbo is lurking around the Woodland Realm dungeons. But that was all the tracked music I noticed (that's not to say there's more...just what I noticed).

If I heard it correctly, the tail end of Feast of Starlight (the extended ring theme) is tracked into the Gandalf/Thorin prologue as well.

Its also layered over other music during Thrain remembering the Battle of Moria.

Finally watched the documentary! Really great stuff, with a good amount of time allocated for the details of the whole process !! Faleel will be overjoyed. There are tons of unreleased bits here and there.

But it was disappointing to learn that they recorded in stems on the last day of recording, for a lot of the unfinished Smaug scenes. That's why the music sounds kind of all over the place with edits and all.

Very cool regardless!

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy are these extras not for download?

:devil:

What do you mean? They're included in the digital releases, hence why people have been able to watch them.

If they were for download, I could get my hands on them (other than itunes).

Again, the EE is not available in my region.

But even for the first film? in AUJ he conduct right? i´m asking because i remember a video on the youtube, but when i watched the extras for the first film he wasn´t there, in 8 hours of extras!

The AUJ EE didn't have a music featurette, DOS does.

There's a video online of him conducting from the AUJ sessions

Yup. I watched it on iPad!

BUT WE ARE IN LOCKDOWN YOU CAN'T GO WATCHING THINGS ON YOUR FANCY IPAD ON A DAY LIKE THIS

It was BEFORE the lockdown!!!

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy are these extras not for download?

:devil:

What do you mean? They're included in the digital releases, hence why people have been able to watch them.

I suppose it's splitting hairs, but they are available for STREAMING, but not for DOWNLOAD.

Hearing Shore's music being hacked in the extended scenes is like being anally probed with razor wire. I can't for the life of me understand why PJ just can't leave the score the fuck alone.

Yea - the "stop and go" dialing out of intended music during the Battle of Moria flashback and Gandalf/Thrain chase scene were just as bad as the Flies and Spiders and Forest River Chase sequences from the theatrical cut. Bah!

Urgh. Thanks Jay - now I am left to wonder what the intended music was for the Battle of Moria flashback (and I know you've sort of explained it, but how it sounds I mean). How we need complete recordings.

I haven't watched the appendices yet (probably won't for a while), but there are lots of unreleased bits in the menus, ranging from cool variations of Mordor skip-beats and descending thirds, to some other wilderland stuff. This score would indeed warrant a CR. Just not sure it's going to happen.

Well it's music from the first half of the score! I think it was missing Beorn stuff.

And there w as lots of little Laketown bits in the music documentary.

The problem is, I'm not sure how they would assemble everything into an ideal musical presentation like the CRs when it all ended up kind of all over the place in film. That's why I'm not confident we'll be getting a CR.

I would assume, its just recorded as short little bits that can be mixed and matched according to how the director wishes....

The problem is, I'm not sure how they would assemble everything into an ideal musical presentation like the CRs when it all ended up kind of all over the place in film. That's why I'm not confident we'll be getting a CR.

I don't what you're on about here. Shore scored the entire film with a strong musical narrative like always. I haven't seen the music doc yet, but if there were some Smaug bits recorded before enough footage was ready for traditional scoring, then those little bits would still find a nice home I am sure. Everything else is extremely straight forward.