Fargo (TV Series)

Jay

Really? The episodes that I mentioned here are like perfect TV to me. So well written and executed. I'm having so much fun. I love how it's serious yet amusing at the same time. Maybe that's a problem for some viewers? I remember you didn't love season 1 either, Koray. 

I think I gave up around E8 (the train station one). I think I'll get back into it at some point, but it's easily my least favourite season.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Really? The episodes that I mentioned here are like perfect TV to me. So well written and executed. I'm having so much fun. I love how it's serious yet amusing at the same time. Maybe that's a problem for some viewers? I remember you didn't love season 1 either, Koray. 

Serious yet amusing was not the problem for me, just didn’t like some of the characters or the supernatural angle to this season. And you are correct, I did not like Season 1. For me, it tries to hard to be the Coens/the film and not exist as its own thing. 

My ranking is 3, 2, 4, then 1. 

2 hours ago, KK said:

I think I gave up around E8 (the train station one). I think I'll get back into it at some point, but it's easily my least favourite season.

A strange point to give up, as you’re so close to the end. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

A strange point to give up, as you’re so close to the end. 

Meh. I was begrudgingly pushing through anyway. And then life things got in the way, and I just never felt motivated to come back.

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

... just didn’t like some of the characters or the supernatural angle to this season.

Can you elaborate? Do you mean the ...

Spoiler

Zombie?

If so, that was indeed a superfluous element, but you have to admit, an extremely minor one (20 seconds screen time in total?). Reminded me of that UFO in season 2, which I also felt was unnecessary. However, It's not enough to kill it for me.

And I enjoyed all the characters, except for Cannon. Chris Rock only manages to be convincing in a few scenes but he's just too lightweight of an actor for the role (a crime boss). And as always with Fargo, I enjoy the characters without particularly caring for them. I don't think that's the point either.

Anyway, for me, the main attraction is 'how' it's done: the style, the artistry, the writing, the subtle drama/humor mix (without telling jokes a la Marvel), the way it's captured visually, the storytelling itself, ... There's lots to be liked! If you don't care or agree with the style, and you only look for depth and meaning (which I know you guys do), then it probably becomes a chore.

I enjoyed it more than I’m making it come across. I had a lot of fun with the season and the characters, and loved how the end tied in to previous seasons. Just didn’t like it as much as Seasons 2 or 3. 

• 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Took them a while to renew.

Yeah, but that's nothing compared to TABOO. First season aired in 2017, and we're still waiting for a second season. It's not cancelled. I think Steven Knight either has a writer's block or is too occupied with other things.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, but that's nothing compared to TABOO. First season aired in 2017, and we're still waiting for a second season. It's not cancelled. I think Steven Knight either has a writer's block or is too occupied with other things.

I'm still waiting for Mindhunter S3 and Tales Of The Loop S2. Both not cancelled but surrounded by complete silence. 

Didn't Fincher come outright and say he's done with Mindhunter?

And I agree, Tales was probably a one-off, and not a very interesting one at that, imo.

25 minutes ago, KK said:

And I agree, Tales was probably a one-off, and not a very interesting one at that, imo.

I sorta agree, even though I absolutely love Stålenhag's original artwork and Vangelis-music for those self-same artworks. Here's my scathing review of the Glass/Morgan score for TALES.

Tales Of The Loop was probably my favorite and the most atmospheric TV show of 2020 but it could have been indeed a Limited Series. 

I don't recall Fincher saying he was done with Mindhunter. It's probably the best show Netflix has. Well, MindhunterBlack Summer and The Crown, of course.

Of course ...

Fincher did say Mindhunter was done, in so many words.

He talked about having to throw out the show runner of Season 2 and having to takeover and rework everything. It’s a big endeavor to produce and run a season of the show and that Mindhunter was expensive and got very low ratings. He said Netflix was open to continuing but essentially said no problem when he didn’t want to do Season 3 because of the production costs. 

Everything going on with Mindhunter has been pretty public

On 21/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, Jay said:

On 16/01/2020 at 7:43 AM, Jay said:

On 23/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, Jay said:

On 19/11/2020 at 10:54 AM, Jay said:

On 18/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, Jay said:

On 18/02/2022 at 8:09 AM, Thor said:

There is only one person in the world who wants a season two...

You guessed it, Thor!😅

My friend Thor has praised some pretty bad films in his time..e.g PROMETHEUS, but TABOO just might be the worst of the lot😉

Btw I.doubt Tom Hardy has the time or interest in returning.

I've not watched (or even heard of) Taboo but it has gotten fairly good ratings from critics, but apparently the audience loved it, so Thor is not alone in this.

Numbers don't lie:

Taboo data

Tomatometer: 76% 

Audience Score: 92%

IMDb: 8,4/10

Metacritic 67

User Score: 8.2

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, it was very well-received. Great show; hope we get that elusive second season one day.

Entertainment Weekly hated it.

Nuff said!😉

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, it was very well-received. Great show; hope we get that elusive secon season one day.

Most of those positive reviews were from folks who confused it with the X-rated film with the same title 😝

Most of those positive reviews were from folks who confused it with the X-rated film with the same title 😝

14 hours ago, AC1 said:

I've not watched (or even heard of) Taboo but it has gotten fairly good ratings from critics, but apparently the audience loved it, so Thor is not alone in this.

Numbers don't lie:

Taboo data

Tomatometer: 76% 

Audience Score: 92%

IMDb: 8,4/10

Metacritic 67

User Score: 8.2

Those are rigged totals.

😎

• 5 months later...

Hawley is also working on season five of Fargo, which will begin production this fall.

The latest installment of the anthology series will star Juno Temple, Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh and will be set in 2019. It will answer two questions: When is a kidnapping not a kidnapping, and what if your wife isn’t yours?

https://deadline.com/2022/08/fx-gives-updates-on-alien-series-shogun-fargo-season-5-tca-1235083740/

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This has never been a show with one main character.  It's an ensemble show.  Every season has multiple "main" characters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fargo 5x01 The Tragedy of the Commons

Fargo's back, baby! I liked this a lot, it was a nice return to the style and tone of the movie and first season after veering further and further away from that in subsequent seasons.

The "Minnesota Nice" text was a fun way to begin things, especially when juxtaposed with nobody being nice at the school board meeting.  Dottie being worried about her fingerprints being run after she gets arrested was nice foreshadowing to the rest of the episode, and her kidnapping scene was like the similar scene in the movie remixed in a delightful way.

All the characters are so well drawn, you instantly get what they're all about.  I love Dot and Wayne's relationship, Scotty is cool.  Then you meet his family and Lorraine's gonna be a great villain, and Danish Graves, what a name, and Dave Foley is great!  Loved the gun-themed Christmas card, and how Lorraine's husband couldn't decide between holding the gun or his drink :lol:

Indira seems like a nice spin on the good cop character, and her husband was a delightful goof.  Was his golf swing at the end supposed to be terrible, or did the actor just not know how to swing right and nobody cared?  I am shocking curious about how his golf career will pan out over the season :lol:

The gas station suspense scene was pretty good, nice start to the season with two big set pieces like this.  I hope we see more of Lamorne Morris' trooper character (even though we were yelling at the screen when he was standing like an idiot in the lights when he knew the bad guys were safe in the darkness), and the way Ole Munch disappeared reminds me that Fargo (the show) always seems to have people with these kinds of powers (like Billy Bob in season 1).

So glad the show is back!

Fargo is one my favourite TV show.

Glad they returned.

That said, it’s to be expected that Fargo might have lost some of its magic, especially after the disappointing 4th season. Even though this new season is a return to form, but I can’t help but feel that it doesn’t effect me the way the first 3 seasons do.

And it’s a good choice they released the two episodes simultaneously, as the first episode doesn’t have “that Fargo hook/accident” that makes me want to follow. It’s only in the second episode that I was starting to get interested in its development. As usual in Fargo, there is always one character that you can’t wait to see his/her demise/ending; in the previous season it’s the nurse, and this season is the Juno Temple character.

One thing I hate about this season is how obvious they want to play the Political-Correctness card and how blatantly they want to portray “Republican’s values” as the evil traits. As if the world needs more division again.

Anwyay, can’t wait for the next episodes!

Fargo 5x02 Trials and Tribulations

Man, that was great. Jon Hamm was awesome, perfectly cast here as the season's villain.  His long introduction scene was so great, and his scene with the FBI agents was so funny.  I was thinking that Dot's situation was going to a mystery that slowly unfolded over the season, so it was a bit surprising to learn that she's Roy's estranged wife and he hired the kidnappers right at the start of the second episode.  Hopefully that means that there are many more twists and turns to come this season!

Gator is such a dumbass.  The way him and the other 2 guys lined up to kill Much made no sense; They were pointing at each other with Munch in the middle!  I liked that Munch got away - seems like he'll be a fun wildcard this season, like with him showing up at the end again to kill Gator's partner and leave a message.  It's like he's deliberately avoiding killing Gator, perhaps to not incur the wrath of Roy?

I really like the Indira character.  I loved that her and Witt probably would have gotten to the bottom of things before Gator showed up, who actually was clever for a second the way he deleted the picture (though surely he knows that's only delaying the inevitable). 

Lorraine having her and Danish talk to Wayne and Dot separetely was cool.  Danish with Wayne was a great little scene, and that slap was soooo funny!  The Dot/Lorraine scene was really interesting, because Dot really just dropped the facade and told Lorraine who she really was.  I loved it!

The Home Alone trap setting sequence was something else.  I kept thinking poor Wayne is gonna get hurt by one of these things!  She gave him no warning!  He's really being so nice and letting her process what she's going through her way for now, but he must have a breaking point...

• 1 month later...

Fargo 5x03 The Paradox of Intermediate Transactions

So Roy and Gator are just villains, willingly covering up murders.  Well, Gator seems torn at times at least, maybe the season will be a turn-good arc for him.  The scene with him and Wit at the police station was pretty cool.  But damn, Roy not just being a shithead but taking federal weapons and giving them to a extremist militia is something else!

Dot changing the street signs was funny (if a bit too long, and not sounding like it'd be THAT effective in a 2019 GPS world), and the exchange at the gun store was a hoot.  Lorraine's speech to Indira and her boss painted her in a new light, really making her just as much of a villain as Roy in some ways.  Not with the murder and abuse, but at least with being above the law and not willing to help others and not caring who she offends.  I hope the "guys from Vegas" she has Danish bring in are lead by some cool guest star.

But it was Ole Munch that made the biggest impression this episode.  Setting up shop in some random old lady's house, chanting Latin (?) and covering himself in... blood (?) and entering Roy's house... damn!  I'm glad he seemingly doesn't care about Dot and only wants revenge on Roy.  And then that flashback to Wales, 500 years ago, where Munch was apparently alive (or at least, some other guy was played by the same actor) and in a Sin Eater... oh boy.... usually Fargo doesn't introduce its wacky supernatural element this early, or this blatantly!  Not sure how I feel about it...

Fargo 5x04 Insolubilia

The attack on Dot and Wayne's house was pretty well done.  I think I was somehow expecting more but I don't really know why I should have expected that.  Dot's traps were somehow cool and smart but also, completely ineffective?  What was the point of the smoke in the stove?  The sledgehammer above the door seemed like something she had to release manually?  etc.  but the ending with Wayne getting electrocuted and them having to get out of the burning house was pretty effective.  What I really liked was the brief moment where Dot and Gator interacted; It hadn't really occured to me that Dot would have spent her whole time with Roy with Gator around, and he's young enough she probably knew him when he was pretty young still.  It almost makes me wonder if they are actually brother and sister, like siblings that Roy took in and ended up adopting one as his son and making the other his wife (gross). The way Gator called her "mommy" mockingly kind of gave me that vibe

Very strange that Munch being in Roy's house was nothing more than a weird symbol painted on the wall (in blood?).  What kind of revenge is that?  And then he comes "home" to the old lady and tells her he wants pancakes, lol  I liked seeing the two federal agents again too, and found it interesting that their boss was trying to push them off the case.  I'm glad they didn't listen!

Indira and Witt are probably my favorite characters, I love to see their competency and good police work amidst all these knuckleheads and weirdos.  When they show up at hospital and Lorraine and Danish are already there, there was a lot of funny scenes with Lorraine pushing her privilege (saying she is gonna have someone fired) and Danish giving a 20 for Scotty to use in the vending machine, etc.  The guy across the hall from Wayne talking about his perceived lack of service for his endoscopy or whatever it was was funny too.

The whole ending was pretty crazing with Roy murdering that dude from the 2nd episode to frame for Munch murdering the other cop to avoid investigation.  And then he gets to ride off into the sunset!

Fargo 5x05 The Tiger

Lorraine having Danish get Dot committed to a mental institution (that's actually in a hospital? Convenient!) was a bit odd, but you love to see the fight Dot has in her.  I was kind of surprised there was so many scenes of her sneaking around the hospital, but it all makes sense once Roy's goons showed up to kidnap Wayne.  The poor guy waiting for his treatment that got taken instead, I can't imagine he's going to live much longer.  Maybe they had him be a bit of an asshole in the hospital so we'd feel less bad about it?

Roy and Lorraine having a bit of a standoff was cool.  I love the dynamics that the two villains of the season are also at odds with each other and want completely different things (and hurt people in different ways, with Roy specifically hurting people directly he views as going against god's plan for him, and Lorraine being the head of a company that keeps millions in debt)  You want both to fail even those Lorraine has potential to maybe be an ally in some ways while Roy is completely irredeemable.

I love these two federal agents, their dynamic is fun and they are peppered in just often enough throughout the season so far.   How high up was that window Dot slipped out of to escape them? Yikes! I love that Dot was then able to get Scotty off the property and that Indira was willing to take her in for a while.  Oh yeah, and these supposed extra goons from Las Vegas turned out to be fairly ineffective, asking Danish for his ID just to leave, and then letting Dot both get onto the property and leave with Scotty, lol

Fargo 5x06 The Tender Trap

Man, I knew it was so stupid of Danish in the last episode to come into the room where Lorraine and Roy were meeting and mention the name of the banker (WHY would he ever talk business in front of strangers), and the payoff to that to open this episode was funny with Roy making him strip and blackmailing him into not selling to Lorraine.  Not sure why Roy let them know by sending them his shirt though...  No surprise that Roy immediately realized his guys grabbed the wrong guy instead of Wayne, but I kind of wasn't expecting to immediately murder him.  There must be a ton of bodies on his compound...

Holy shit, Indira and Lars' conversation was next level bonkers.  They've turned this guy from a shitheel to just the biggest shithead around.  And you know he's sleeping with his "personal trainer" too the way he put on cologne before going there.  What a douche.  Later when she brings Scotty back to Lorraine, their conversation was super interesting.  I love the themes of debt running through the season, and Lorraine's offer for Indira to come work for her is so complex and must give Indira so many conflicting emotions.

Was happy to see the feds again!  Poor Wayne, I couldn't tell if he is really still totally out of it, in denial about Dot's real background or what.  Then they talk to Indira, and I loved all the information exchanged there.  I love that they want her to help take down Roy, I hope that works out!

The Munch scenes were interesting.  It seems actually smart of Roy to pay Munch off and squash their beef.  It seemed like he always wanted Munch to help him find Dot, but I don't think Munch was interested, and I'm really not sure what he meant by a saying a grave without a body is just a hole in the ground... is he recommending to Roy to just kill Dot instead of trying to win her back?  Or to just leave her alone?  Hmmm.  I am very curious if the tracking device Gator put on his car (why does the tech look so laughably ancient?) is entirely Gator's idea, or Roy's... and where that will lead.....

The ending was interesting.  Lorraine having Danish lay the hammer down on Dugger with all kinds of threats... the poor guy is totally caught in the middle of the Lorraine and Roy feud (not that he was innocent to being with anyway).  But then when Lorraine, no doubt inspired by what Indira told her, flips open Dot's file and we see the extend of what Roy's done to her.. holy shit.  We knew Roy was a bad dude, but this makes it all even worse.  Damn.

• 3 weeks later...

Fargo 5x07 LInda

Wow!  What a fantastic episode!  To get all the non-Dot stuff out of the way first, the opening scene where the old lady's son shows up was great.  I lovely how you instantly hate the guy, and revel in how stupid he is for trying to get Munch to give him money.  Was happy to see him axed.  Wayne was hilarious in this episode.  "Car for a car!"  He's quickly becoming my favorite character.  In light of what we learn about Roy in this episode, its more and more obvious all the time how perfect he is for Dot, and you just want to see her reunite with him and Scotty so bad!  The final scene with Gator and Munch was another surprising one.  I haven't been sure this whole season if Gator really has it in him to be a bad guy or if he's just doing a lot of posturing, but he literally did deliver a killshot to the body he thought was Munch, so I guess he does!  The old lady arriving shortly after was an interesting wrinkle, and I didn't see it ending with her accidental death!  I was kinda surprised Gator got away with the money after that.  Munch has a huge advantage now that Gator thinks he's dead.

Dot's story this episode was the really incredible part.  As soon as she almost fell asleep at the wheel, I started to worry that the rest of the episode would be a dream and we'd go back to her at the wheel at some point... and I was almost right.  The fact that the entire Camp Utopia experience with the Lindas was all a dream doesn't lessen its impact in any way.  Using the puppet show to show the abuse Roy gave to Linda and then to Dot was a brilliant way to show it without showing it.  It almost made it more visceral since you have to imagine it in your head.  The only sad part was that Dot seemed to think Linda escaped from it and blames her for leaving her behind, when I think it's more likely that Linda is dead....  And what a bummer that after snapping back to reality in the diner, so she didn't get into any accidents on the road... she gets into one outside the diner anyway, and then Roy is there at the hospital.  Damn!

Fargo 5x08 Blanket

Danish finally gets an episode to shine and it has such a tragic ending!  I loved his little scheme to belittle Roy at the sheriff nominee debates, which works so much better than I assume he could have hoped for with Roy punching the moderator!!  What an idiot.  Then he gets to deliver the good news to Lorraine, before Witt tells him about Dot.  I did NOT understand why he didn't call Lorraine to tell her about this, nor why he ignored her call when he showed up at the ranch.  Nor why he thought he was safe to walk right in there.  RIP Danish!  Dave Foley was so great in this role.

Similar to Danish not calling Lorraine, I was wondering why Dot didn't try harder to escape from Roy.  The "help me" to the nurse was a good start, but once Witt showed up there, I feel like things might have worked out if she let him help her.  It was such a bummer to see her chained by by Roy, and that his new wife is totally into it all.  The conversation she had with Gator was really interesting, I loved what she told him about why Roy didn't name him Roy Jr, and then when she said she saw his mother, I got confused as to why Dot hasn't realized that was all a dream yet.  But I think she does at the end of the episode when she sees Danish's body dumped in the same spot she found Linda's card in her dream.  As for Gator, I loved the reveal that Munch snuck into his police car!

I LOVED that Indira finally had a showdown with Lars!  Her finally speaking her mind to him and kicking him out was the most cathartic moment of the episode.  Everything about it was so good including her doing it while stripping down and changing for work in front of him and his mistress.  This subplot has been underwritten all season (I cannot picture what it was about this guy she was ever attracted to - how did these two even end up together?) but it was still satisfying to see her leave him.  I can't imagine we'll see her again.  The car getting towed as she left was a bummer though. I wonder if Lorraine made that happen to help push Indira into taking the job?  I'm glad she took it; Even though Lorraine is a bad guy, she's still trying to take down Roy, so its like an enemy of my enemy thing.  And she deserves that payday and respect.

I love how the show has slowly revealed just how bad of a dude Roy is over the course of the season, with the puppet show in the previous episode basically telling but not showing, and this episode doing some showing, with him at the debate, then the slow walk to the barn with that cover of Toxic playing, the assault (and rape? I felt like that wasn't clear) of Dot, and then the murder of Danish.  Can't wait to see this guy get taken down!

• 2 weeks later...

Fargo 5x09 The Useless Hand

Yikes, the opening scene with Munch and Gator was crazy.  I somehow thought Gator was going to make it out of the season unscathed, but having your eyes removed by a crazy person with a hot knife is... terrifying.   I loved Indira's power suit she has now, working for Lorraine - fits her so much better than a police uniform.  I love that her and Lorraine know that Danish is missing since last being near Roy's property, and that since Indira knows Lorraine is held there thanks to Witt, she convinces Lorraine to help out - which she does by using a favor from "the orange idiot" LOL. 

Roy is such a doofus.  His youtube video to call a bunch of supporters to come is laughable, and i love that nobody actually shows up except the militia that got free guns from him stealing them with federal funding.  The fact that they rolled in set to YMCA was hilarious.  This episode is funny!  Dot managing to escape from the barn was good, but WHY did she sneak into the house!  I did like that Roy's new wife is the one that finds her, but kind of bummed that it ended in yet another one-hit knockout (this has become a pet peeve of mine that persists throught like every show and movie we watch).  I loved that Roy's house has these little secret passages she can use, though!  When she uses the cell phone to call Lorraine and she refers to Dot as her daughter, that was a shocking piece of character development I didn't think Lorraine had in her!  A minor miracle.

When the feds and SWAT team rolled in and set up, it was so clear how much of a bloodbath it would be if they engage with the militia, how easily they will wipe the floor with them lol.  It was great that Joaquin and Meyer are finally back in the mix again, and I liked the way Witt was able to get a small task force to go after Dot.  The exchange about not shooting the hostage was very confusing though.

Ugh, so weird hat Dot left the shotgun outside when she hid in the well full of dead bodies (how did she not throw up from the smell that place must have?  Seeing Danish's eyepatch hanging on the wall was weird, it's not like we couldn't tell it was his body on the ground there.  Roy coming out to parlay with the feds and troopers was another funny scene.  He's just so delusional!  When he went to explore that underground tunnel thingy, I had no idea what that dead goat was all about until I remembered that many episodes ago Munch killed one and snuck into his house to leave a message.  I guess no one had been down there since then?  When he goes outside and Munch has him, i was kind of surprised there was no fight or anything... Munch just leaves.  Led to the heart breaking moment where Roy makes it clear Gator is practically dead to him now.  Asshole of the year award!  Gator was a bad guy too, but didn't quite deserve everything he's gotten here.

Munch not killing Roy, but then killing all the henchmen that were going after Dot in the corpse hole, but then giving her her rifle back and setting her free, was all kinda weird.  Just what is Munch's moral code and what is he after?  Which debts does he consider settled, and which not?  And where did this fog come from anyway?  It was kind of funny that it just rolled in with no explanation to make everything more cinematic and moody lol.

One more episode left!