James Newton Howard's Catching Fire (Hunger Games 2)

KK

Check out Snow Falling On Cedars.

From 1999 to 2009 and, to an extent, 2010, Howard was one of the top three composers in the business.

Not by a long shot in my book. If by "top three" you mean most-demanded, the two top spots are taken by Zimmer and Williams. Then follows probably Giacchino in the past few years. And JNH ranks somewhere between the likes of John Powell or Shore.

While it's great that Francis Lawrence didn't get edit-happy like Gary Ross did with the first film's score, I think Catching Fire is not much of a step-up from The Hunger Games but it is an improvement.

I do appreciate that he revisited the Rue theme ("The Tour") and he does develop it some to impressive effect, especially in "Arena Crumbles", but I felt that it could be more. I felt the same way about Snow White and the Huntsman -- some impressive cues but the score as a whole was lacking.

In the film noticed a lot of tracking of "Horn of Plenty" and "The Train" from the recordings of the first movie.

Most people wouldn't notice but it would have been nice to have several new variations . That's something Williams would have done

Well, think of TESB using the same concert version of Imperial March for every scene it's used in

We used to have movies where great movies were taken to another level by a great score. Now we have to accept the score is not part of the equation anymore

Ok so one can argue that "Horn of Plenty" was used as "source music" most of the time, hence the same version was needed...but JNH could have thought of a more creative way to use it since it's become the signature theme of the series

There is one new version for President Snows arrival at the mansion but that's it (it's on the OST)

oh well at least it makes no unreleased music to want for this score

Most likely tracking by the director.

If the director had wanted variations, JNH would've written more. To suggest only Williams does that is preposterous even for you KM. How many times did SS track the TLW theme?

From 1999 to 2009 and, to an extent, 2010, Howard was one of the top three composers in the business.

Not by a long shot in my book. If by "top three" you mean most-demanded, the two top spots are taken by Zimmer and Williams. Then follows probably Giacchino in the past few years. And JNH ranks somewhere between the likes of John Powell or Shore.

Have you seen how many movies Howard does every year? He easily writes as many as Zimmer does (and he doesn't get an army of ghostwriters to help him).

In terms of industry demand, he's easily in the top 5. In terms of listenability, depends too much on the project these days.

Oh, I'm sure that now that they're big friends, Zimmer sends some of his lackeys to JNH when he needs help.

"Hansie, I need some help on a score I'm working on"

"Alright. I'm sending the composing squad! Come on, guys! GO! GO! GO! GO!"

280557916_ac9d3bf379.jpg

:lol:

Have you seen how many movies Howard does every year? He easily writes as many as Zimmer does (and he doesn't get an army of ghostwriters to help him).

In terms of industry demand, he's easily in the top 5. In terms of listenability, depends too much on the project these days.

Disregarding the ignorance here, I highly doubt Howard would have been able to churn out King Kong in the time that he did had he not been at RCP at the time.

Also Howard is no where near as busy as Zimmer.

Arcade Fire wrote it. JNH never integrated into his own score. It acts more like a piece of source music in film anyway.

Disregarding the ignorance here, I highly doubt Howard would have been able to churn out King Kong in the time that he did had he not been at RCP at the time.

What do you mean 'at RCP at the time'? He's never been one of Zimmer's clones- are you saying he moved in temporarily to get some help?

What do you mean 'at RCP at the time'? are you saying he moved in temporarily to get some help?

You make it sound like a mental hospital :P

What do you mean 'at RCP at the time'? are you saying he moved in temporarily to get some help?

You make it sound like a mental hospital :P

"it's a madhouse. A MAAAADHOUSE!!!" :lol: