What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

Somebody here is selling his 65" LG OLED 4K screen for 2500 Euro because he wants to buy a 77" OLED. When he bought it in 2016, it costed him 6999 Euro. 

46 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Too skinny! Didn't they learn anything from Samsung and Apple?

They will become much thinner:

And who doesn't want to roll up their TV? Now this is curved!

This video shows the difference between OLED and LED really well:

This guy explains the difference between OLED and Samsung's QLED:

Again, this seems like the guys from Hifi-Forum who sit naked in an empty 500 square meter room and only listen via gold-anodized cables: most of the time you will not watch 8K 'Avatar' blus or even want to. Now the blacks and colors are probably slightly better but to what effect? Do i really care?

Get a good HDR capable LED set and your blacks would be black as midnight on a moonless night. That's not even controversial, it's a fact. 

Quintus - cares about the plight of blacks 

I thought the effect was quite clear, pubs, especially the blacks and the angle viewing, much more clear than the difference between gold plated connections and non-gold plated ones. It already showed on the youtube video. Imagine the difference when you see it  in your living room. Personally, I'm hoping that the texture of the image will be more like film and less like video, which is the feeling I always have when I see the LED screens in the stores.The backlighting technology seems to be responsible for that. However, like Plasma, OLED doesn't have backlighting. To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with Plasma, but they don't make 'm anymore so ...

It's basically a big fat lie to sell more tv sets. Wait 5 years and - if we live to see that day - Oled will be forgotten for another, even more outrageous picture revolution. I now watch the Jaws blu on my tv set and it looks brilliant. How many shades of brilliant do i need?

I dunno, I've seen people in the store drooling over the worst kind of picture quality and most people I know believe cinema projection has the best possible IQ in the world. This made me think that many people aren't always that difficult when it comes to sound and images. 

I don't think about other people. They believe in all kind of silly things but i neither intellectually nor aesthetically can understand what's 'wrong' with the LED screen i have right now which looks quite brilliant with the right material but often enough the source isn't good enough, anyway (like certain streams or badly mastered movies). So again, there may be a discernible difference when i watch a 500Mio.$ mastered-to-death movie like 'Avatar' (and even there only in spots) but most of the time, why bother?

I can't watch 4:3 Star Trek TV series on a 16:9 monitor with black bars. Even on my 34" 16:9 Sony FD Trinitron WEGA, it drove me nuts. It's like an inverted letterbox. What the hell?

To be quite honest, I find life, and the world to be overwhelming, at the best of times. We have so much sonic and visual information throw at us, and I'll wager that 99℅ of it is utterly superfluous. In choosing what I wish to engage with, I prefer a hard, to a soft filter. Sometimes I need less choice. I need the ability to choose, taken away from me.

Hmm, I'm not sure, fellas. I saw an LG OLED today and Burton's Alice Through The Looking Glass was playing on it. Yes, sharp, contrast, deep colors, ... and yet, it still looked like high quality 'video' to me. I want a screen where the image feels like film. Plasma did that. I don't see it with LED ... and now OLED it seems. Maybe it's Burton's film?

That's a surprise! It looked so Burton (in Alice in Wonderland mode), plus it has Depp and Burton's wife, I automatically assumed it was him. 

47 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Don't think Burton and Bonham Carter were ever married either. 

No, but wife sounds so much happier than domestic partner. Though ex-wife and former domestic partner are equally unhappy so...... Yeah. 

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I don't currently own a TV.

I watch everything worth watching on my PC and laptop. 

Are you watching television shows via Netflix, Prime, Hulu, On Demand, Xfinity, or some other streaming method? 

If so, you still watch television, and the name of the actual screen you plug in is wholly irrelevant. 

Jees! Whether it's Burton or Burton's wife or not is not important, folks. Is it the movie that looks and feels like it's video? Or is the OLED technique still too close to LED? I would like to find out by taking a Blu-ray with me. Most TVs are connected to a TV channel (one signal distributed over many screens) or some have a special supersaturated HD 4K demo playing. None of that means anything to me. I wanna know how 2001: A Space Odyssey looks on a TV.

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That's a surprise! It looked so Burton (in Alice in Wonderland mode), plus it has Depp and Burton's wife, I automatically assumed it was him. 

He probably produced it and the director was probably told to lean into the Burton style.

4 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Are you watching television shows via Netflix, Prime, Hulu, On Demand, Xfinity, or some other streaming method? 

If so, you still watch television, and the name of the actual screen you plug in is wholly irrelevant. 

Wholly irrelevant? You high or something? lol

The name of this thread is "What kind of TV do you own?" I just answered the question. 

26 minutes ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

So you don't own a dedicated television set, but you still watch television programming on your laptop. That's okay, kid. I used to be poor too. I know how it feels. 

What kind of dumb asshole, are you? Get lost.