What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

Toshiba (I guess they are not dead yet) will release their OLED TV in September and they say it will be much cheaper than the competition. It's based on an LG panel (I guess LG only knows the secret of OLED)  and it will not include HDR.

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

Will they be selling 1080p ones for people like me who don't fancy their blu-rays looking like upscaled DVDs on 4K screens?

Nope. It's a 4K screen. Why do you think Blu-ray looks like DVD on a 4K screen?

BTW, I corrected my previous post, the Toshiba will NOT have HDR.

The point is, if someone does it cheaper, then the rest will follow. OLED will get cheaper. But is it any good? I still need to be convinced.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Why do you think Blu-ray looks like DVD on a 4K screen?

Not like DVD per se, but the whole process of upscaling an image with a lower resolution to suit a screen with a significantly higher resolution tends to have dubious results. 1080p content looks better on a screen that's 1:1 in resolution.

Blu-ray and HD content look awesome on my Sony Trintron, especially 4:3 TV shows, since you're watching it on a screen that's the proper aspect ratio. The only issue I've run in to is watching 4:3 HD films, since they're weirdly formatted to be viewed on a 16:9 screen, so you end up with a box surrounded by all this blackness.

480p DVDs upscaled to 1080p through a proper DVD player and shown on a 1080p display look great

I have no reason to think that 1080p Blu Rays upscaled to 4K through a proper 4KBD player and shown on a 4K display won't also look great

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I have no reason to think that 1080p Blu Rays upscaled to 4K through a proper 4KBD player and shown on a 4K display won't also look great

I do, because I've seen them. They lose their sharpness and start to look soft and digitally noisy.

Sounds like a gimmick to me. You can't convert a lower resolution into a higher resolution, which is what these players claim they do. It's not possible. It's duplicating pixels or what have you, but you can't add more detail. You're basically viewing a tampered image. You might not notice any issues because you watch TV from a recliner 35 feet away.

8 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

Sounds like a gimmick to me. You can't convert a lower resolution into a higher resolution, which is what these players claim they do. It's not possible. It's duplicating pixels or what have you, but you can't add more detail. You're basically viewing a tampered image. You might not notice any issues because you watch TV from a recliner 35 feet away.

It's just people justifying their purchases of a UHD TV, when deep down they know their 1080p blu-rays don't look as good on them as they did on their older HDTVs. But they'd rather keep telling themselves it looks great than admit they're victims of a scam. Rather like people who claim to know what Serenity is about but they're too embarrassed to admit the plot was incomprehensible.

At least I can admit that all the extra features on my Sony TVs like "CineMotion" or "SRS Audio Effect" or whatever were just gimmicks. They didn't make the material look or sound any better. In fact, they made it worse.

Do these new sets have Picture-in-picture?

Isn't it how people watched DVDs on their plasma screens for years and years? Through upscaling? All those TVs have a built-in auto upscale function in order to use all the pixels to literally fill the high resolution screen.  It's not a gimmick. It's necessary. Otherwise SD would only fill half of the screen. That doesn't mean DVD on a high res screen looks like Blu-ray. 

Actually, Drax and billions of other people hate back bars because it makes everything smaller. To me, however, it makes everything more beautiful, like a passe-partout in a frame.

I demand them! Belgian commercial TV channels (except for TV1 or Canvas, of course) blow up the aspect ratio of movies so that the black bars disappear. Needless to say it looks hideous.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I demand them! Belgian commercial TV channels (except for TV1 or Canvas, of course) blow up the aspect ratio of movies so that the black bars disappear. Needless to say it looks hideous.

I don't watch movies on regular TV

21 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Actually, Drax and billions of other people hate back bars because it makes everything smaller. To me, however, it makes everything more beautiful, like a passe-partout in a frame.

You keep perpetrating this myth that I hate black bars, which isn't true. I just don't think they help make a film look "more cinematic" because they're just an empty void. It's what's in the actual image that matters.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't watch movies on regular TV

Canvas is good. Yesterday I watched Dans La Maison by François Ozon. There's more to cinema than what Hollywood has to offer, Steef.

15 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

You keep perpetrating this myth that I hate black bars, which isn't true. I just don't think they help make a film look "more cinematic" because they're just an empty void. It's what's in the actual image that matters.

You once said you need binoculars or a microscope to watch a movie that has black bars on a Trinitron TV. Or was that Selina? I sometimes can't tell the difference.

In any case, if it's just "an empty void" to you, don't you prefer watching movies without black bars? Perhaps you even don't mind it when TV stations blown up the ratio so that the bars fall off the screen? Huh? Well?

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Horizontal bars: yes

Vertical bars: no

Pillar bars are a necessary artifact in viewing a 4:3 film or TV show in its intended format on a 16:9 screen, as are letterbox bars from a 2.35:1 (or various) from a film, so why the double standard?

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

In any case, if it's just "an empty void" to you, don't you prefer watching  a movie without black bars? Perhaps that you even don't mind when TV stations blown up the ratio so that the bars fall off the screen? Huh? Well?

Well that depends. If it's a film photographed anamorphically, then it's necessary to view the film with letterbox bars (however I'm not fixated on them as you seem to be). But if a film was photographed in Super 35, then I'm flexible, since the director and cinematographer were probably open to the film being exhibited in various aspect ratios, which the format offers. For example, Titanic and Independence Day look fine in 16:9 because they're designed with that future proofing in mind. Then we come to films shot in open matte like Aliens or Back to the Future, which again offer flexibility, that is if you don't mind a boom mic showing up now and then if you're watching the 4:3 version.

The image above was from an anamorphic film, so it's necessary in that case.

I just don't fixate on black bars the way you do. They're just an artifact resulting from the transition from cinema to home video, where not everything fits perfectly, so compensations must be made to ensure the originally intended image is preserved. I'm sure John Carpenter thinks "the digital format allows for my full anamorphic vision to be preserved" and not "holy shit, the black bars look great on TVs!"

Of course, Alex will misinterpret the above as "Drax just wants everything pan and scanned".

Seeing a 4:3 or "Academy ratio" (1.37:1) film stretched to fill a widescreen television is a harrowing, ugly experience.  The vertical black bars are necessary.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Seeing a 4:3 or "Academy ratio" (1.37:1) film stretched to fill a widescreen television is a harrowing, ugly experience.  The vertical black bars are necessary.

Or cropped, which is just as bad. The images weren't necessarily composed for a 16:9 frame.

On 6/3/2017 at 5:16 PM, Selina Kyle said:

So if you upscale DVD to a giant HD screen, you don't see digital artifacting and other distracting anomalies?

If your DVD player is a quality one and not a cheapo, absolutely