The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

10 hours ago, Alex said:

The second half of season 7 is better than the first but still not brilliant. I watched some of the first season today, amazing how the quality has declined. 

Do you know if it's made by the same people? (I'm mainly referring to writers and directors)

I always thought the decline started when Fear Of The Walking Dead was released. Maybe some of the key talent was moved to work on the new show.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Do you know if it's made by the same people? (I'm mainly referring to writers and directors)

I always thought the decline started when Fear Of The Walking Dead was released. Maybe some of the key talent was moved to work on the new show.

Well Frank Darabont (who developed the show) was show runner until the second half of the second season. I think it was a shock when he left.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

I don't think I've ever suffered through a worse character in any TV I've ever seen. 

He's a bit cartoonish, I'll admit. 

Aside from the superb pilot, Frank Darabont's season is weak. I'd say only the most recent season is worse actually. 

I know season 2 had its many detractors, but I really enjoyed it. 

Yes, though it's not problematic anywhere near to the extent it is Game of Thrones, with its dozens of threads (most of which I've completely lost track of). The Walking Dead's biggest problem most recently is absolutely wank writing. 

This season they seem to be incapable of focusing on more than one storyline in an episode. A whole episode solely on Tara and Heath, for example, was completely ridiculous 

Tara and the Amazons? It completely glossed over the fact she could have been, ah, satisfied her whole life with all those women. 

I'm also getting annoyed by how all the Georgia woods are supposed to represent the area around Alexandria, VA, which is pretty damned urban with lots of sites to raid for supplies. Nope, the show makes us feel like we're back in colonial Virginia. 

19 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's not;  Frank Darabont developed the show and was show runner for the first season.  Then he and AMC had a massive disagreement, and he walked away from everything in between Season 1 and 2.  After he left,  Glen Mazzara was show runner for seasons 2 and 3, and then Scott M. Gimple has been show runner ever since.  FTWD premiered between seasons 5 and 6.

17 hours ago, Alex said:

Well Frank Darabont (who developed the show) was show runner until the second half of the second season. I think it was a shock when he left.

Nah, he left after season 1.

Guess I'm one of the few who still enjoy the show. I like how the current season is set up to build like none before. There are a lot of repetitive figures, but I don't really mind them. And I like how the zombies take more and more backseat to serious drama (this was always the case with the show, of course, but moreso over the last couple of seasons). I've never read any of the comic books, so please don't spoil, but it's certainly set up as one of the most fulfilling 'revenge thrills' in its entire run. 

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Guess I'm one of the few who still enjoy the show. I like how the current season is set up to build like none before. I like how the zombies take more and more backseat to serious drama (this was always the case with the show, of course, but moreso over the last couple of seasons). 

So, the show is better than ever before, Thor? Interesting ..

I feel the others have a point (too many characters, lack of focus, all over the place, etc.) but in the end I don't really mind. Yes, I think the quality has deteriorated. It has become more 'B', like the B movie sci-fi of the '70, but the show still has its moments. Negan is over-the-top but it's entertaining.

I can't speak to recent seasons since I gave up on the show at the mid-way point of season 5, but consistent quality was never part of the show's DNA.  However, it was at least watchable, and in the time I watched it, nothing I would call terrible.  Season 3 was the best, Season 4 was also pretty stellar, with a much stronger second half.  Season 2 upon a second viewing was solid, and I love season 1.

Then season 5 happened, and it all went into the shitter.  Ironically, the first episode was amazing.  It quickly stumbled, limped, and then performed self-immolation in the mid-season finale with one of the worst scripted, edited, and conceptualized episodes of television I've ever seen.  Not just of the show.  Ever.

@KK

I watched episode 11 and it was finally something I can get behind, it was a solid dialogue driven entry and entertainment wise a far cry from the utter slog of previous episodes in the season. If you were inclined to rejoin at that precise point you could do quite comfortably, and you will have missed practically nothing of interest or importance.

Here, I'll even provide a quick and helpful catch-up of crap events so far:

Neagan rules the roost. Carol has left the group again this time to become a hermit, but the King and his tiger really want to remain chums with her. Daryl eventually busted out of solitary imprisonment and escaped to The Kingdom, but he's restless, he misses Carol and Rick. The latter of whom has gotten over his insufferable defeatism at last and has resolved to build secret alliances with The Kingdom, Hilltop and a third new 'scrap-punk' tribe of unimaginative oddballs who were at first a bit mean to him but a few minutes later swore allegiance so long as he promises to provide them with "stuff" later on, after the upcoming battle of the five armies. You would rejoin just after Eugene is taken into custody by Neagan...

Really enjoyed last week's Rick and Michonne episode (apart from the rubbish CGI deer), but then this week's was another relative plodder.

As mentioned the lack of focus, characters spread out too thinly across too many different places and 'filler' episodes are all highly noticeable this season.  

Maybe cutting the amount of season episodes back to 12 or even 10 would help tighten and sharpen it all up again.  

Rick and Michonne do live in Alexandria, where they have running water and maybe soap. Though they were on the road for days looking for supplies. I don't remember if they were in a car or an RV. 

Are you trying to be a lyricist, Wojo? You have talent!

Rick and Michonne do live in Alexandria

Where they have running water and maybe soap

Though they were on the road for days looking for supplies

I don't remember if they were in a car or an RV

Episode 12: The Rick & Michonne episode. Has anyone here ever seen Z Nation? Well, this is the 'level' TWD is spiraling down to.

twd_season712.0.jpg

Alex

Episode 13 of TWD was yet another rubbish waste of time, one you can happily skip if you haven't already. Morgan started killing again, big wow. I hope he dies soon, I'm sick of him. Strange to think he was once quite a cool character. Besides that, the rest of the cast pondered the thought that they might have to fight the Saviors again, while standing around looking tired. This season has been appalling. 

Holy freaking zombie shit, this article gets it. It gets it! https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/03/17/the-10-biggest-problems-with-season-7-of-the-walking-dead/#46e91c3e1477

It's impossible to be more right about this horrible excuse of a season. I particularly agree about the stupidly large amount of survivors and multiple communities present in the world at this point. It's almost like normal  fucking life in America for these people. Is an open for business Wallmart going to feature in season 8?

The show is in desperate need of a shake up. Scott Gimple has been the show runner since season 4. Surely it wouldn't hurt to get someone in with fresh ideas?