An Unexpected Poll: Six Films To View Them All

14 members have voted

1. 1. In what order would you watch the Tolkien/PJ films?

• The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring/The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers/ The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King/ The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey/ The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug/ The Hobbit: There And Back Again
    • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey/ The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug/ The Hobbit: There And Back Again/ The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring/The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers/ The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King
    • I'll watch them in some crazy, totally random order, because I'm like that!

It's a Tolkien related poll. DON'T PANIC!!! And don't start a separate Tolkien forum over this!!!

When the 3 Hobbit films are all released on home video, and you plan to do your long awaited Tolkien/Peter Jackson film marathon, which order will you view the films in? The "Tolkien" order, meaning the order the books were written in and indeed how the overall story plays out chronologically? Or the filmed order. LOTR first then The Hobbit?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, if you were doing the marathon with someone unfamiliar with these films, then a lot of things would not be well exp-lained to them. For example. If you've never seen LOTR, then in AUJ Galadriel is pretty much an totally unexplained character that attends a meeting, seems to be able to do telepathy, and vanishes into thin air.

AUJ referenced LotR so heavily that it seems to make a lot more sense coming afterward, so that's the order I'd do it. But most likely I'll just marathon LotR and leave out the Hobbit films, unless I like the second and third films way more than I liked AUJ.

Assuming you liked the Hobbit films enough to marathon all 6, though, it would give resonance to the end of Bilbo's journey in RotK if you watched Hobbit first, then LotR.

The Hobbit first and then the Lord of the Rings. It might make more sense to show a newbie the LOTR first but I've seen the first four films so many times (and I will see 5 and 6 a bunch of times) that it's really pointless watch LOTR first and then The Hobbit. If you already know the stories there no point watching one story and then flashing back and watching a prequel story.

Might as well rename this site the JRR Tolkien forum. based on the sheer number of threads that's what is become.

Might as well rename this site the JRR Tolkien forum. based on the sheer number of threads that's what is become.

I wholeheartedly agree. Ricard, what are you going to do about it? Don't you see that your head administrator is a Tolkien sympathiser?

psst, don't dare even wonder about his second in command.

If JWFan were Game of Thrones then Ricard would be played by Sean Bean!

Glad you've caught on.

Dunno why anyone would sign up to a Tolkien site and then complain about Tolkien threads!