TWIN PEAKS

Romão

The Showtime monopoly on The Return is just a tiny bit fucking annoying though, isn't it?  I don't have a subscription to this otherwise shit channel.

You can just wait a month and then subscribe to the Showtime app on your streaming media player of choice and watch all 18 episodes within the free month

They have to know that most people will do that, or pirate it.  Why not just put it on the many streaming platforms that most people have a subscription to and bring in some more cash through those?

We're living in the transition period between traditional cable and a fully figured out streaming infrastructure.  For now each different company is doing their own thing

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I doubt Watts was hired just for what we've seen her do so far (or rather: What I've seen her do through 5 episodes); surely she'll have more interesting things to do as time goes on.  I hope, anyway!

Jürgen Prochnow was hired for FWWM just to sit around doing nothing in a couple of scenes. There's a bit more of him in the Missing Pieces - more sitting around.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

You may as well tear up and throw out what you know about the Twin Peaks universe thus far as you make a start on The Return. Lynch tore us all a new one by the time we reached epi 8.

I forgot to ask - did you finish season 2 then? 

Yeah, 2 is in the books and so are the first two episodes of 3. 

This is - excuse me - a damn fine example of what I've been after from this show. 

Kyle MacLachlan Promises "Everything Will Make Sense"

Judging by the hints he gives there, it sounds like they might indeed be leaving the full awakening of Dale Cooper right up until the end, which is why I'm not convinced this series isn't going to be left open for more episodes by the time these 18 are done.

If his part of the story remains the same, ie plodding, then yeah, that'll be a big disappointment. But surely there's gotta be a shot of momentum injected into that subplot imminently... right? 

Maclachlan's talk of "righting the ship first" gave me some encouragement. 

On July 6, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Jay said:

The Return is MORE like FWWM than the original show, BUT its still RADICALLY different from either.  Perhaps a bit closer to Mulholland Dr than either of those.  In the end, its really its own thing and not a repeat of anything prior

There are some fan edits out there that mash FWWM and the Missing Pieces up, the sum of the two is quite a bit closer to The Return than anything else out there.

This last episode has really stuck with me.  Haunting in so many ways.  Love the aesthetic differences between what I assume are the White and Black Lodges - Saturn imagery against Jupiter imagery, Art Deco against Art Nouveau... really interesting.

It almost feels wrong to theorize about this show, but the way I'm apparently interpreting it is that the Red Room is the Black Lodge, and the purple ocean world castle is the White Lodge, and that the "spirits" can at least come down from the latter to the former, though probably the more unsavory ones can't go up the other way.  Or maybe they can, hence "It's in our house now."  They do seem to be connected by the warped space Cooper falls through.  

The "experiment" vomiting up BOB and presumably other nasty beings is a really disturbing image, maybe one of the most unsettling I've ever seen in film or television.   

A show like Lost compels you to try putting the pieces together.  Lynch seems able to present even stranger stuff without bring up a similar compulsion, despite my ramblings here.  I feel much more content to just watch all of this play out than try to figure it out. 

I watched episode 8 again this evening, I let Nine Inch Nails play for around a minute and then skipped past the remainder of that scene (before it really gets going). One can't really overstate how striking and arresting an episode it is. It's something else, and most of it is successful. 

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

One Glorious Poster For Each Part Of The New Twin Peaks So Far

WARNING: The posters could be considered spoilerish, so watch only if you're up-to-date with the latest episodes.

Wow, that's great stuff. My favourite is Ep. 8, without question.

I'm on episode 6 now. So far it's been bit tedious. I'm glad Lynch gets to do stuff on mainstream television and it's definitely more interesting conceptually than most television. It doesn't stop it from being boring. It's not about being weird or incomprehensible. So far things seem to be quite clear for the most part. It's not even that it's slow - I can certainly appreciate storytelling that takes its time. I used to be enchanted by his style. I know he is mostly about pulling audiences' leg, he does take a piss. But even that doesn't amuse. Now, he seems to be merely Damon Lindelof of the arthouse. Think he must have been a part of my adolescent phase and I grew out of it. Shame. :(

In any case, I'll crack on for now and see if it changes my mind somewhat. But I seriously doubt it.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I'm glad Lynch gets to do stuff on mainstream television and it's definitely more interesting conceptually than most television. It doesn't stop it from being boring.

Out of the 8 hours worth I've seen, I reckon I could take parts out of each episode and make up a good hour's worth of boring material which I could have happily lived without.

Unlike others, I don't anoint Lynch special status and grant him a pass for what I consider to be mediocrity. Like in other shows I enjoy, there's parts which I find to be ineffectual and indeed boring. Twin Peaks isn't particularly unique in that way. It just seems to be more deliberate about it.

The only thing I can think of that made me say, "Aw, screw Twin Peaks" was the Wally Brando scene.  Everything else for the most part has worked great for me.

Episode 8, the plot thickens! Really good instalment!

Badalamenti is returning more and more, and Twin Peaks is all the more Twin Peaks for him. Pity they inexplicably turned him down to zero again for Andy and Lucy, though. Baffling choices continue unabated.

And call me cynical, but I'm getting bored of these shoehorned in "meme scenes" (the foot joke). Meh.

Btw, this episode featured the best laugh out loud moment of The Return so far, I was literally laughing out loud and still chuckling about it for a while after. Can anyone guess what moment I'm talking about?

So nobody else was in stitches when Chantal's parting gift to Evil Coop was a kiss and a packet of crisps? Which he then gratefully tucked into his pocket for later. 

That was one of the funniest things in Twin Peaks ever. 

We apparently have a very different sense of humour, Quint. The foot scene was one of my favourites, and I had no particular reaction -- at all -- to the scene you mention. Other than enjoying seeing Tim Roth and Jennifer Jason Leigh act out. For me, it's always "the weirder, the better" (as far as comedy is concerned).

Yes we do, I established that quite some time ago ;)

But yeah, weird for weird's sake isn't particularly funny to me. Plus I was never big on Jerry's character anyway, always such the minor and inconsequential character in Twin Peaks that he was. Lynch seems to want him to participate in this for some reason though, so let's see if it goes somewhere (if anywhere).