Composers Challenge VIII: Creation

KK

I'd love to do this, but unfortunately I have no DAW or sample libraries.

You could compose, and have someone else mock it up for you....

but it could be too much trouble than its worth..

I assume multiple entries are not allowed.

You assume correctly.

Judges have will have their hands full with the other entries anyway. But feel free to share the alternate out of the competition.

• 3 weeks later...

He said you could not compose with a program, he did not say you could not use a program to make a mockup ;)

Mockups are for pansies and paranoids... ;)

The main titles were irrelevant. We could have just put a 8 minute title card there, and it would have made no difference, it'd just look more boring.

People largely wrote their music independent of the sequence, but to the length of the video. They weren't really "scoring" the main titles, if you get what I mean.

The unfortunate part of this challenge was that even though it didn't matter, we ended up being judged on whether what we were writing was matching the images on the screen. I remember getting that exact feedback, which I thought was odd.

I'd love to participate! But the fact that I use a combination of Sibelius, Anvil Studio and Synthfont I think puts me in a great disadvantage -and the lack of proper composing skills of course.

I'd love to participate! But the fact that I use a combination of Sibelius, Anvil Studio and Synthfont I think puts me in a great disadvantage -and the lack of proper composing skills of course.

Never hurts to give a try doesn't it? What sucks to you, might just blow our minds! Besides, you don't participate in the challenge to win so much as you do help grow as a composer!

Do it! Remember:

2daycyh.jpg

KK, have you gotten many submissions yet? I feel like I've missed the boat on this.

Oh you can still use the Fog horn of DOOM for 4 minutes straight to score this clip and most people will think it to be revolutionary. Just follow the different coloured bars on your compositorial mock-up thingy programme and lay down phat beats in there somewhere with the fog horn OF DOOM. ;)

What about a 6 part fugue for 6 foghorns of doom?

Too sophisticated. People today need to be pludgeoned with clear concise musical sledge hammer-ish walls of sound. It is the beat of the pulse of our zeitgeist. Anything else is just fancy, pretentious, elitist, intellectual bs. All those woodwinds for example...

I've gotten 1 submission so far TGP. I'm thinking of extending the deadline by a week, depending on schedules.

In the meantime, let me introduce you to our judges' panel!

Dylan O’Neal
Johannes Ruckstuhl
Leon Williett
Mikko Ojala

And for our Hear From the Pros feature, we will be joined by renowned composer Benjamin Wallfisch!

For those unfamiliar with Wallfisch. His most recent score was for Summer in February. He spent many years as Dario Marianelli's orchestrator, and has written a bunch for film and the concert hall. It's pretty great that he agreed to join the judges' panel this time.

And of course, there's our resident Mikko, along with others from the composers' scene, and the film critics circle.

I'll promise not to judge... too harshly that is. ;)

This is an interesting challenge in the way the judges can't give too specific criteria of what to write or not and thus it makes for a freer than many of the previous ones where at least general guidelines and "rules" were established for the entries in terms of content, style and dramatic needs. So our challenge is to be able to give the participants some constructive criticism and our impressions of what we felt was good or less so in this assignment when we don't have exact parameters to define the boundaries of what this music should or shouldn't be. It actually boggles the mind when you think of how differently such creation scene can be approached musically and how it can work in so many different ways with different music.

You're right BB, the only name I neglected to leave on the list is BloodBoal. It sounded to real to fit with the others.

My entry is the only one you got so far? That must violate several laws of the universe.

Oh woops. Yours makes it two actually.

• 3 weeks later...
After receiving some of your emails, and talking with the panel, a decision has been made to extend the deadline to Friday April 18, 2014.

For details on the submission process, look here:

Any further questions, don’t hesitate to email me at kkalaisan@hotmail.com!

Good luck guys!

We expect great things from you Mr. Pilgrim! Compositional wizardry even.

He has claimed himself to be the next JW and saviour of film music! We shall expect nothing less!!

I can't even figure out how to make the Logic score editor thing work.

Is it a sign not to make the transition from paper to computer?

OK better start using words like "unreconstructed" and "antediluvian". ;)

And black turtlenecks! Never forget the turtlenecks!

Johnny has been expanding his turtleneck colour repertoire. I think in one recent photo he had a burgundy turtleneck on! Adventurous I say!

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

This is just a friendly reminder that you have a week left for the deadline!! Entries are due next Friday!

Looking forward to hearing all your work!

Cheers,

KK

It seems to me that this challenge has been going on for years now... Every month, KK is like: "OK, I'm give one extra month to work on your composition..." WTF? Composers work better under pressure!