Goldenthal's Symphony

karelm

Whoa...I hadn't seen that before and I pride myself of knowing everything and anything about the man. Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing. The return of the glass harmonica!

He does seem quite fit -- sporting an unusual white shirt as opposed to his trademark black attire -- although he's still somewhat droopey(sp.?) and slurs a bit.

Pity it's only an adaptation of something we already have...

Karol

Yeah, but even in that clip I heard something I haven't heard in the OTHELLO ballet. Hopefully, there will be enough new material.

I hope it will have quite a bit of material because he said in an interview that he adapted and extended to have a greater sense of structure. So I was expecting something along the lines of how Prokofiev adapted his "Prodigal Son" ballet into the Symphony No. 4 - though the themes are the same, they are very different works.

Pity it's only an adaptation of something we already have...

Karol

Yeah, but even in that clip I heard something I haven't heard in the OTHELLO ballet. Hopefully, there will be enough new material.

I don't know Thor. I thought everything was on the Varese album.

I should point out it's a splendid disc. My favourite of his in fact.

Karol

Neat! With this, Horner's two upcoming concert pieces, and the planned recording of Shore's piano/cello concerti, it's a good time for film composers in the concert world.

Also is there any reason why he would not seem healthy?

Neat! With this, Horner's two upcoming concert pieces, and the planned recording of Shore's piano/cello concerti, it's a good time for film composers in the concert world.

Yes. He had a domestic accident a few years ago, where he slammed his head in the floor. He suffered brain damage, and basically had to learn to speak again. As he told me, "his hardware was intact, but the software needed updating". He's spent the last few years recuperating, but on the occasions I've met him (2010 and 2012) and in other interviews, he has seemed very slurred in his speech and rather dopey. He still has a little bit of that, but he does seem much better in that clip.

He made a misleading impression of someone who was drunk while talking and he struggled with some longer questions. But here he sounds and looks much healthier, I'm happy to observe.

:music:Othello

Karol - who would like to hear more from the man

Yes. He had a domestic accident a few years ago, where he slammed his head in the floor. He suffered brain damage, and basically had to learn to speak again. As he told me, "his hardware was intact, but the software needed updating". He's spent the last few years recuperating, but on the occasions I've met him (2010 and 2012) and in other interviews, he has seemed very slurred in his speech and rather dopey. He still has a little bit of that, but he does seem much better in that clip.

That's awful. I'm glad he's recovering then.

Is this board big enough for more than one heartless dumb bastard?

Yeah, sure. Bring them all here.

Oh and I am looking forward to this. Othello is among my favourite Goldenthal works as well. :)

Ah. In that case, I'll let Jason and Inky fight over who gets to roll the die, and I'll take that number of months' ban.

Gary_Gygax.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...