New E.T. Re-issue in the works??

Jay

According to user ConcertAttendee, at the Portland, Oregon John Williams concert Tuesday night, he had this to say before performing Adventures on Earth:

Most notable comment he made, when introducing the music to E.T., he mentioned that he was asked a couple months ago to revisit the film and music for his approval. Add that bit of insight to any speculation on what John Williams-related release may be in the works. He mentioned watching the film and in particular the acting from the kids in the movie. So made me think it might be a new Blu Ray release rather than a new soundtrack release.

(Bolding mine)

Source: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24227&p=1001324

Well, what do you think?

A nice new remastered Blu Ray just came out in 2012, so I doubt there's another one of those in the works.

Could a new 2CD set, containing finally the complete score on one disc, and the Grammy-winning original LP presentation plus alternates on the second disc, be in the works?

E.T. being a Universal title would mean it'd probably be Intrada.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone else mentioned they thought it could be for a Blu-ray release, but I'm not sure if that's the case. I don't know why Williams would need to review the film and music for a Blu-ray unless if changes were possibly made. Also, E.T. was released on Blu-ray in 2012 and still in print. I highly doubt they would be releasing another Blu-ray after 2 years.

A nice new remastered Blu Ray just came out in 2012, so I doubt there's another one of those in the works.

I was wondering that, if by a "couple of months ago" he meant a "couple of years ago"

I'm happy with it, but could it benefit from a remaster? It sounds fine to me, but I'm not expert when it comes to proper mixing, dynamics, etc. I'm not sure what was missing, if anything.

Am I the only person who's fine with the current release of E.T? Are there any cues of shining greatness that were left off the CD?

E.T. is Dying Film Version

lucky for us Laserdisk iso score rips are available, but it was a criminal omission on all releases so far

Maybe they ask him to put together a live to projection performance scores? Like they did in 2002. Doesn't have to be a CD release.

Karol

Am I the only person who's fine with the current release of E.T? Are there any cues of shining greatness that were left off the CD?

E.T. is Dying Film Version

lucky for us Laserdisk iso score rips are available, but it was a criminal omission on all releases so far

I think it was availabe in one cd. I'm not exactly sure which.

edit: i have the 2002 cd which has the alternate, so maybe it is in the 1996 cd.

Wrong. The film version of E.T. Is Dying has never been released, except on the isolated score of the laserdisc.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20125&p=716110

Even better:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdG12WENnUDd3U183cUZHZmtOV1otQUE&output=html

It's missing the album takes (which were only released on the original album version to my knowledge). And the film tracks need a remastering.

I'm afraid that if Williams is involved, it might mean there won't be a score+album presentation, but rather just a nearly complete score release - based on the previous two releases (in which I assume Williams was involved).

I think the score sounds best on the 1996 CD. It's basically impossible for even Shawn Murphy to screw up such a perfect recording, but I still feel the 20th Anniversary was a step down.

I think the score sounds best on the 1996 CD. It's basically impossible for even Shawn Murphy to screw up such a perfect recording, but I still feel the 20th Anniversary was a step down.

I only play the original MCA CD myself (unsurprisingly), even though I also have the 20th as part of the E.T. Ultimate Gift Box DVD set. Had the 1996 once, but sold it.

Anyway, while it sounds fine the way it is, I wish someone remastered the old MCA album. It deserves it.

The original Botnick-engineered album sounds best (though it certainly could use some remastering and de-hissing). The 1996 CD sounds ok, and the anniversary release sounds really bad.

Bruce Botnick, as Marian just said in the post above yours.