Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

Did you know the site is bloody slow today?

As for the song I don't like it very much but it is better than the previous two. Especially the end feels a tad too cloying. I like nostalgia as much as the next person but it feels a bit sugary. It obviously tries to be similar to Into the West in its sense of goodbyes and resolutions but somehow it rubbed me the wrong way. But awesome compared to Sheeran's guitar strumming and vocalizing.

Well it's not bad I guess.

They definetly tried to do an Into The West type song here. But I'm not quite feeling the poignancy of that song here.

Boyd is a good singer, but he's a musical star, and it kinda shows in the song. That with the lyrics do make it edge just a little bit towards....dare i say it...Disney sentiment.

So it seem Sheeran's I See Fire still remains the best, most credible pop song of this trilogy.

There is no credible song in this trilogy!

Karol

Since its release on 5 November 2013, "I See Fire" has been listed for 503 weeks in 19 different charts.[6] Its first appearance was on 7 November in the Ireland Singles Top 100, where it debuted at number 22.[6]

In Australia, the song debuted at number 68 and peaked at number 6.[7] It has since been certified two times platinum by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), denoting sales of 140,000 copies.

In New Zealand, the song debuted at number 7 peaking at number 1 on the RIANZ chart.[8] The song was certified triple platinum by the Recorded Music NZ (RMNZ), denoting sales of 45, 000 copies, and has gone on to became a sleeper hit, and has so far spent 35 weeks

in the top 40. The song proved to be successful in many European countries, with a peak position of number 1 in Norway and Sweden.[9][10] "I See Fire" also saw success in the Philippines, reaching number 1 in the charts.

Since its release on 5 November 2013, "I See Fire" has been listed for 503 weeks

503 weeks is almost 10 years!

So I listened to the song this morning, and while I like it, I feel like all 3 The Hobbit songs are misfires. DOS and BOFA's are at least fine listenable songs on their own, but I don't feel like any of the three of blend in with the score well - for all three scores, I'd much rather not include them in my playlist whatsoever, but could listen to them when I am in the mood for pop music.

For LOTR scores, especially TTT's and ROTK's, the song is so well meshed with the score that I basically always listen to them as part of my full score listening. Sometimes I'll skip May It Be, sometimes not.

One thing that helps in LOTR is all 3 of them have nice music-only material when the credits start rolling, with the vocals of the song not coming in until a minute or more into the credits. AUJ had that really lovely Shore cue to start the credits (that devastatingly isn't on the OSTs), and it's a shame the DOS and BOFA song just kicks into the vocals so soon. They both could have used the Shore touch he gave to the terrible AUJ song.

it's a shame the DOS and BOFA song just kicks into the vocals so soon. They both could have used the Shore touch he gave to the terrible AUJ song.

How do we know this of BOFA? Going on the AUJ OST, we'd never have known there would be music before the song began.

Unless of course you know something we don't?

I know nothing, I'm just assuming.

And pointing out that the in OST track itself, the vocals start really early (earliest of all the OST EC song tracks)

WaterTower have taken down their video of the song for some reason...

But obviously the whole world has it now to upload themselves, eg

I quite like the song, but the bluesy flattened fifths aren't terribly Middle-earth... :unsure:

And I have a theory on why the Beyond Sorrow and Grief sample is so different from the iTunes one: Maybe the WaterTower samples were taken from teh Standard OST instead of the SE OST, and the Extended version of that track has 15 extra seconds towards the beginning of it, making the iTunes sample start "later" than the WaterTower one, if they both just set there sample makers to take 90 seconds starting at minute 1, or whatever their algorithm is. I know the WaterTower records samples have the two bonus track from the SE OST only as well, but if you look at the cover art they chose for all the samples, it waffles between beboth covers, so they probably had a full set of samples from both versions to choose from.

And I have a theory on why the Beyond Sorrow and Grief sample is so different from the iTunes one

Wouldn't that mean Beyond Sorrow and Grief is the only sample from the Standard? because all the other samples are more or less the same.

No, it would mean the Extra music in the other tracks come AFTER the 2 1/2 minute mark (or wherever the samples all end), and in that ONE track the Extra music comes before it.

No, it would mean the Extra music in the other tracks come AFTER the 2 1/2 minute mark (or wherever the samples all end), and in that ONE track the Extra music comes before it.

True.

The song is alright, but Boyd doesn't quite sell it very well. Better than its predecessors, but still lacking the poignancy to move you like any of the LotR songs.

The chorus buildup is clearly modelled after Into the West. Just with the sugariness amped up like crazy.

Listening to the better quality of the samples that WaterTower posted, is that a didgeridoo at the beginning?

I don't quite hear didgeridoo. Sounds like some kind of effect coming from layering of the deep brass and the clashing strings.

Yeah, I think it's there right at the very beginning, and then permeates below in the opening, low in the mix.

A didgeridoo was incorporated in the DoS score, so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.

Now that I listened through the headphones I begin to agree. It well could be.

I have never heard of this DJ Ridoo before. Is he any good?

Well let's just say he did awesome remixes of Tiesto's remixes of Zimmer's Pirates of the Carribean.

Yea I don't get it. There's no new information there.

And next, we are also happy to break that when tickets go up for pre-sale Friday, fans who purchase tickets through movietickets.com will receive a song from the soundtrack exclusively for their listening pleasure.

Lets look at the past shall we:

NOV 5: Radagast The Brown (4:53) [vbr mp3] - AMC is gave away a digital download of this track (from the standard OST), you won it on Large Soda cups.

----
NOV 7: Old Friends (Extended Version) (5:01) [128kbps mp3] - from the SE OST. This played as background music on The Hobbit's official website.

----
NOV 9: The Adventure Begins (2:05) [128kbps mp3] - Fandango is gave away an mp3 of "The Adventure Begins" for pre-ordering tickets online,

----
NOV 12: Song Of The Lonely Mountain (4:10) [160kbps mp3] - On a Rolling Stone web article

NOV 5: Ed Sheeran's "I See Fire"

NOV 20: www.thehobbit.com streamed the first 85 seconds of "Feast Of Starlight"

NOV 23: The Woodland Realm (Standard Version) was given away as a freebie from Fandango

The press release usually doesn't contain much new info. There is a short blurb about how nice Howard Shore is, how many awards he has won and that it is a big film series and then there is a whole paragraph devoted to the singer of the end credits song and how great he is plus perhaps a track list at the end.