Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

I thought the didgeridoos were fairly apparent in Bred for War...

I always thought they were just blowing into vacuum cleaner tubes.

Like a tramp sitting in front of a train station, trying to make some money!

Hey you have such entrepreneurish musicians there too?!

It might be my hearing but the only moments I can make them out is when the track starts and then only at 1:52 near the middle of it. Is there any other part of the track where they sound noticeable?

I also find the BOFTA score an enjoyable listen besides the mixing. The choral work is the best the Hobbit trilogy has to offer, the Gundabad and Dain themes are special pieces, and Shore brings the most bombastic battle cues in this score for this trilogy. "Courage and Wisdom" is pure Shore magic with the way he creates true emotion to fit the scene. Especially Thorin and Bilbo's scene. Too many tears! I just wished for more of Tauriel's action theme. Only seems to appear once in "Ravenhill".

But she is mostly sidelined from the action so the action versions of her theme are not used. It is Legolas time!

Plus they went for the emotional bittersweet tone for that scene where she is desperately trying to reach Kili and not getting there in time.

Courage and Wisdom has a beautiful The Passing of Theoden styled mood going on, the elegiac tone which is in great part responsible for my belief in Thorin's atonement at the end.

True! Legolas had lots of moments to shine in BOFTA. His mother was an invisible cameo with her choral theme. Shore must be a genius to think Legolas' mother was so important!

It might be my hearing but the only moments I can make them out is when the track starts and then only at 1:52 near the middle of it. Is there any other part of the track where they sound noticeable?

I also find the BOFTA score an enjoyable listen besides the mixing. The choral work is the best the Hobbit trilogy has to offer, the Gundabad and Dain themes are special pieces, and Shore brings the most bombastic battle cues in this score for this trilogy. "Courage and Wisdom" is pure Shore magic with the way he creates true emotion to fit the scene. Especially Thorin and Bilbo's scene. Too many tears! I just wished for more of Tauriel's action theme. Only seems to appear once in "Ravenhill".

But she is mostly sidelined from the action so the action versions of her theme are not used. It is Legolas time!

Plus they went for the emotional bittersweet tone for that scene where she is desperately trying to reach Kili and not getting there in time.

Courage and Wisdom has a beautiful The Passing of Theoden styled mood going on, the elegiac tone which is in great part responsible for my belief in Thorin's atonement at the end.

True! Legolas had lots of moments to shine in BOFTA. His mother was an invisible cameo with her choral theme. Shore must be a genius to think Legolas' mother was so important!

Oh wow Leggy's mom has both the Gems of Lasgalen motif and Woodland Realm choral music to accompany her invisible presence. Man she is important!

Shore is as much to blame for this mess as anyone, essentially giving Tauriel 3 themes, and crafting much of an end credit suite around them. He needs to stop devoting so much music to unimportant characters.

Shore is as much to blame for this mess as anyone, essentially giving Tauriel 3 themes, and crafting much of an end credit suite around them. He needs to stop devoting so much music to unimportant characters.

Hey he was the unwitting slave to the picture! He is innocent I tell you!

Did SUH create a new account?

The post-production was messy. I wondered why Shore didn't agree to come down to NZ for a couple of months and do the recording sessions like in LOTR? Maybe his age

Back pain.

Not really. A lot of the CGI, especially in ROTK has not aged well. Especially for the trolls, and other creatures.

Even Gollum looks dodgy in some scenes.

You look dodgy!

I'm definitely not SUH. Just a Shore and Williams music lover who's waited a whole year following this thread to join in :)

Ugh this lovefest is sickening. Let's get back to the grim brooding dissection of the movies instead!

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=879130;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=157715761

So if this scene was restored in the EE, do we think 'The Road Goes Ever On' would have still scored it? Could be quite a nice connection to Bilbo in FOTR.

Is that person wrong as the track 36 of FotR CR is Enya's May It Be. So is it In Dreams hyman setting he is refering to or perhaps The Road Goes Ever On Part 1 (aka Breaking of the Fellowship)?

'The Road Goes Ever On'? What are you referring to? The song?

I haven't heard it. But I thought they meant the song Bilbo/Gandalf sung in FOTR.

Though presumably the music was tracked so it can't be (there's no orchestral version of that song?). Would have been neat though IMO.

Well there is a specific mention of the track in the post so I would think it is one of the Shire theme variants. The title Roads Goes Ever On refers to the track title on the CR.

Anyway the acorn scene sounds like a nice idea. :)

I think it's more likely they meant 'The Breaking Of The Fellowship'.

Yup. So Shire theme at its most weepy!

Taking a look back at the BOFTA score, we know that Shore could only compose to the large amount of battle-specific scenes in the film, hence the reason why most of it sounds very similar. Would you have preferred to have seen more variety in the score compared to the majority of it as martial-like? Did minimal character development in the film influence this lack of variety (needed more quiet, meaningful moments rather than loud, brash war music)?

Yeah, and then never again in the score!

Oh, by the way: we're not getting CRs!

Alas the whole re-establishing Dale was never in the cards. That could have given a brilliant chance for Shore to compose a proper send-off to Bard's themes. Which PJ would have mangled in the post of course but still.

Alas the whole re-establishing Dale was never in the cards. That could have given a brilliant chance for Shore to compose a proper send-off to Bard's themes. Which PJ would have mangled in the post of course but still.

It is interesting to note that Bard's theme only reappears after the refugees' situation in "Battle For the Mountain". (Not counting "Ironfoot")

The reason for BOFTA's dry mixing was due to the fact that they built a huge bonfire in the midst of the Wellington Town Hall and burnt all of Shore's compositions into it! While the smoke filled the room Conrad Pope's Hobbit score sounded from the orchestra and made it onto our beautifully packaged CDs! Jackson laughed with glee!

It is interesting to note that Bard's theme only reappears after the refugees' situation in "Battle For the Mountain". (Not counting "Ironfoot")

Yes there is a bit of an embarrassment of riches when Bard's thematic family is concerned with his own theme, the leader theme and the family theme plus the Girion/Bard/Black Arrow theme all vying for attention.

Also that sounds like an accurate description of what happened at the Wellington Town Hall last year.

I always wondered if Shore intended to do something Dale-y with that bit.

To be honest, I'm also left scratching my head as to why Shore bothered introducing the 'Bard the Leader' motif, which is heard, what, once in the film? Even on the soundtrack (Ironfoot notwithstanding) it only features in tracks intended for early parts of the film. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that he did, it's a great theme, but it doesn't really go anywhere. I have to think he composed it with Bard's crowning and the rebuilding of Dale in mind, but any intention to include these scenes clearly fell by the wayside. It might have also helped in terms of scoring potential had they shown Bard helping to rally his people for a final charge out of the city (along with the Elves and Gandalf) to help the Dwarves on the plain.