Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

We arent missing much, technically speaking

but a lot of missing material is in the form of microedits, and those sorta beg to be released as full tracks

Not that there are a lot of microedits from the latter 2 movies that I am particularly pining after (aside from the full Forest River sequence)

AUJ though has plenty of entire tracks not released

We arent missing much, technically speaking

but a lot of missing material is in the form of microedits, and those sorta beg to be released as full tracks

Not that there are a lot of microedits from the latter 2 movies that I am particularly pining after (aside from the full Forest River sequence)

AUJ though has plenty of entire tracks not released

In addition to edits The Forest River seemed to have a lot of small inserts done after Shore wrote his original piece.

I don't know how much we're really missing from the latter two films, but I'd kill to have a clean version of the full Goblintown capture sequence from AUJ.

+1

I'd even kill you for that!

Just give us everything so we can decide what we want to keep and what to ditch!

And NO KILLING!

• 4 weeks later...

I have not visited that site before. Thanks for the heads up SUH!

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to add that this is a fan made thingy if someone didn't recognize it from the sampled sounds.

I would have used the new Bard the Leader theme instead of the family theme in the end section though. ;)

This post on TORN was rather interesting:

I'm sorry I should of said soundtrack- it isn't exactly a song. But it sounds like a chorus might be blended in. I'm not sure but I think in the credits it says something about a Chorus after the "In Memory Of". It's a very solemn pieces with low bass and strings, playing as the camera pans over the company walking around the three dwarves.

If this person is correct, why would they need a separate credit for this new piece, if it was written by Shore and the vocals were provided by London Voices? Perhaps it wasn't performed by the NZSO? I wonder if he or she is mistaken.

Here's what I think - in the original scene, the Dwarves were to sing something (we know this from the actors). However, Jackson changed his mind while putting together the EE and asked Shore to come up with something. I think I speculated on this before, but it makes the most sense. I also think it may have had something to do with the scene being edited down (we know Gandalf was supposed to give a short speech).

A combination of Dwarven themes? Interesting. Thorin, Erebor, Durin - perhaps a touch of Dain?

Here's what I think - in the original scene, the Dwarves were to sing something (we know this from the actors). However, Jackson changed his mind while putting together the EE and asked Shore to come up with something. I think I speculated on this before, but it makes the most sense. I also think it may have had something to do with the scene being edited down (we know Gandalf was supposed to give a short speech).

A combination of Dwarven themes? Interesting. Thorin, Erebor, Durin - perhaps a touch of Dain?

It'll probably be explained in the commentary. We might also see the other scenes that didn't make it into the EE in the appendices (like with a couple of DOS scenes).

And I think this is what Rivers Of Gold could be.

Aha!

Which would suggest Plan 9 or other diegetic music guys wrote it.

OK, I misremembered that Stephen Gallagher didn't belong to the group.

It is a great one to be sure but doesn't quite rank up there with the absolute best of the trilogy for me.

Ravenhill and To the Death are a painful assault on the ears on the OST album mixing-wise. I might enjoy them more if I was not on the verge of deafness after hearing them. Conrad Pope was right, Wellington Town Hall produces one gigantic sound if one wants to utilize it that way.

So much bass, how can anyone stand against such reckless use of low frequencies?!!!

Ravenhill and To the Death are a painful assault on the ears on the OST album mixing-wise. I might enjoy them more if I was not on the verge of deafness after hearing them. Conrad Pope was right, Wellington Town Hall produces one gigantic sound if one wants to utilize it that way.

So much bass, how can anyone stand against such reckless use of low frequencies?!!!

And you'd think that such a massive hall would at least increase the wetness of the sound...just awful mixing.

And you'd think that such a massive hall would increase the wetness of the sound...just awful mixing.

Yes that's what I meant. Huge sound but awfully mixed.

I'm just amused by how much Doug emphasized they used the same setup as London, and how in the documentary they kept talking about picking up the natural acoustics bouncing off the hall. And yet the score ended up sounding so dry.

Just for curiosity's sake, I listened to Ravenhill and To The Death. And while they're poorly mixed, I can't but help love some of the badass writing here.

I'm just amused by how much Doug emphasized they used the same setup as London, and how in the documentary they kept talking about picking up the natural acoustics bouncing off the hall. And yet the score ended up sounding so dry.

Just for curiosity's sake, I listened to Ravenhill and To The Death. And while they're poorly mixed, I can't but help some of badass writing here.

Oh absolutely, terrific stuff in there. Just needed a different mix that's all.

After discussing the EE film with other experts from here, we've come to the conclusion that:

1. Thorin's Funeral cue is the only "new" music in the entire EE.

2. All the rest of the music heard in the EE that wasn't heard in the TC was either tracked in from other places (like a different BOFA cue or a DOS cue), or was written for the scene in question but just cut from the TC of the film (in which case, we had the music on the OST).

The new Thorin's funeral cue was tweeted by Doug to be an entirely choral composition by Shore, yet in the final film PJ tracked some DOS music under it, then segued to a tracked statement of the Erebor theme from Fire and Water too.

Probably microedited out of a cue that made the OST? I doubt Shore simultaneously scored a TC and EE version of the chariot scene like he did with those four DOS scenes

I think there's still plenty of unreleased music in the trilogy to warrant CR releases or a Rarities disc, but this is definitely not a DOS situation where a bunch of cool new music premiered in the film.

Thorin's funeral cue is nice, though.

Complete Recordings would be nice not just for the unreleased music from the films, but the dialled out and replaced music, which I can only imagine must be fairly substantial.

Remember after BOTFA came out, and Doug said something about there being a lot of great stuff we had yet to hear from the back end of the film? Given that the funeral composition was recorded after this comment was made, I've no idea what he could be referring to. Two possibilities really:

1) Tons of music was dialled out or replaced with tracked stuff

2) Quite a few scenes that were scored are still missing. I suspect this to be the case.

I believe Doug said 'spectacular'. The chariot race perhaps? Some more of the fighting stuff? I don't think he'd say these things for the fuck of it.

I also remember Shore saying in that Reddit Q&A that there was a little bit of Beorn music done for this film. By the sounds of things this isn't added back to the EE, though again I'm wondering if he scored something longer (even if it was just a 'Beorn fights Troll' card).

Oh spectacular?!! Let's hope there is something spectacular still coming our way.