Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

We always end up here eventually, all of us, like some weird limbo, ever gnawing on the bones of old grudges about the Hobbit films.

Even if only to switch our lamentations to a different franchise.

We can talk about the Prequels!

But of course! We can focus on the positive of Abrams' film and complain about the Prequels! Although I don't care half as much for SW than I do of Tolkien.

There is nothing here that isn't in the EE.

That statement of the Erebor theme at the beginning sounded different to me... different mix? synth mockup?

We need a Prequels versus The Hobbit poll!

Hobbit wins every day thanks to the more polished scriptwriting. Still can't stand some of those lines from SW: AOTC and ROTS.
That's how I feel, except exactly the opposite! AOTC is especially terrible, but I hate hate hate so many lines in The Hobbit too.

Like with Star Trek '09, a lot of lines in The Hobbit felt like what the audience expected to hear the characters say, rather than what the characters would have actually said in the original source material (e.g. "Beam me up, Scotty," which was never actually heard in Star Trek until the reboot).

I know you're going to want examples, but that would require me watching the films again. Bottom line: I'll take even AOTC over any of The Hobbit films. Any day.

Like with Star Trek '09, a lot of lines in The Hobbit felt like what the audience expected to hear the characters say, rather than what the characters would have actually said in the original source material

This!

Unfortunately yes. And many things I certainly did not wish to ever hear them say.

Like with Star Trek '09, a lot of lines in The Hobbit felt like what the audience expected to hear the characters say, rather than what the characters would have actually said in the original source material

This!

Unfortunately yes. And many things I certainly did not wish to ever hear them say.

Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers.

Karol

This!

Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers.

Karol

Apart from that line. It is a classic destined to outlive the novel itself!

At least it was a shit joke. It's always the earnest ones that kill you, like the bollocks spouted in the healing scene, and that shit about love being real at the end of BOTFA. People have been killed for less.

"I'm haunted by the kiss you should never have given me."

Honestly I thought you had just made that line up. I guess I've blocked so much from my mind at this point, seeing as I haven't seen those bits in over 13 years.

"I'm haunted by the kiss you should never have given me."

Thranduil: I hate love Tauriel, it's coarse and rough and irritating and gets everywhere. Not like in The Lord of the Rings. There everything went smoothly.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

That small moment with the post production team just showed once again that PJ was tired of the trilogy. "We didn't really have a name for them so we just called them twirly whirlies."

It's weird SUH - as you say, the documentary makers seem to make better use of the music than PJ most of the time!

I hoped they would have used Shore's original music for Thorin's funeral in the documentaries covering the shooting of that sequence but alas no.

Saving that one for the EEs.

It would be a lame way to reveal the piece though, in the behind the scenes.

EEs or EEs or CRs you mean? Since it is not on the EE in full form.