Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

It's the best possible trailer based on what I expected from the director and cast.  Wiig was Wiig.  McCarthy was McCarthy but not completely off the rails. McKinnon and Jones look to be amazing.  It looks like an expensive movie.  Slimer was there.  There was some giant lumbering ghost.  Should be fun.

I don't know how I feel about the "possession" angle, but it happened in both of the previous GB movies (Dana/Louis and Janosz) so I guess we'll see how it plays out.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The first two were dumb, but in a more intelligent way!

Obligatory "you can't possibly assume anything about the movie based on a trailer" comment inserted here.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

That would be the first time!

Not!

1 minute ago, Brónach said:

Not feeling the sassy black woman trope who by virtue of stereotypes and Hollywood cannot be a scientist.

My thoughts exactly!

I'll never understand the "let's retain the wrong elements" type of remakes.

For example, why does tnis need a sort of "origin story of the team". Why don't you start in media res with, I don't know, "there's these four and they catch ghosts", and then go forward from THAT point?

And will they manage to create from scratch a team chemistry not very noticeable in the original to start with?

And can the ghosts or whatever be scary for once? Remember when Cuarón put extreme creepy into a children's fantasy adventure? What about this?

The blonde actress would look sexier if they didn't force it in and make her lick the weapon. 

Also I bet they made the four straight.

Chaac, do you like any movies or tv shows that come out these days?  It seems most of your posts are about the things you don't like, I can't recall any talking about productions you do like.

Mmh I'm really liking Steven Universe and from last year's movies I really liked Mad Max, and from the previous year I really liked Song of the Sea and Grand Budapest Hotel.

But yeah I'm not seeing a lot of things lately.

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Brónach is Chaac?

Duh

43 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Mmh I'm really liking Steven Universe and from last year's movies I really liked Mad Max, and from the previous year I really liked Song of the Sea and Grand Budapest Hotel.

But yeah I'm not seeing a lot of things lately.

yea Mad Max was great!  I enjoyed Grand Budapest Hotel as well.

I never heard of Steven Universe before, so I just looked it up.  52 episodes per season?  Holy crap!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I never heard of Steven Universe before, so I just looked it up.  52 episodea per season?  Holy crap!

Nah, they're like eleven minutes long. At first they're like little sketches for a while until they start getting intertwined and the arc can go forward. 

Yeah, typical season of a half hour cartoon is 26 episodes, and the typical season of a shorter cartoon (such as Steven Universe, Teen Titans Go, etc) is 52.  They'll traditionally air two episodes together in a half-hour block.  A lot of the older NickToons were like that too.

Slimer and the "thirty years ago" thing... you mean to tell me... the first two films still happened in this timeline, yet the original actors are not playing their original roles any more?

What. The. Ducks.

Well, yes. Placing it in the old continuity rather than in a new one makes it harder to believe that they are playing new characters. One actor you can pass off. The whole cast bar three (Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis and Dickless), and you're asking for an extreme suspension of disbelief. It would be easier to accept in a new continuity is what I'm saying.

However, I must say aside from my issues with that, the trailer looks... I don't know, it almost looks like a dumb popcorn movie, one I might see just to laugh at.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

And can the ghosts or whatever be scary for once? Remember when Cuarón put extreme creepy into a children's fantasy adventure? What about this?

It's even more of a shame in this case because the original movie was genuinely creepy and not a kids film.  The opening library scene was truly frightening, obviously the things going on in Dana's apartment, and even the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, despite his silliness, had a bit of evil going on.

Also, Winston wasn't a scientist.