Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

Wait, what? Dan Aykroyd is in the film reprising his role as Ray Stantz but Bill Murray is playing someone else?

Wha? Aykroyd isn't playing Stantz, he has a cameo as a taxi driver.

No, I'm expecting Vigo and Stay Puft to adopt Venkman, convincing him there's no such thing as ghosts!

Actually, that works better. Providing Stay Puft doesn't step on any churches at any time.

At least Murray and company looked the part in their 80s costumes. These are just so deliberate retro and uncool it hurts my eyes. :down:

So who is actually going to go see this? :rolleyes:

I agree the new costumes look retarded. I for one will be skipping this film completely just like with the Fantastic 4 reboot.

At least Murray and company looked the part in their 80s costumes. These are just so deliberate retro and uncool it hurts my eyes.  :down:

So who is actually going to go see this?  :rolleyes:

I agree the new costumes look retarded.  I for one will be skipping this film completely just like with the Fantastic 4 reboot. 

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Not me. For me, Ghostbusters ended its story with the game.

Yep, though the game itself was lacking due to the repetitive nature of the gameplay, and clunky mechanics, it was a real joy to hear the one and only Venkman, Spengler, Stantz and Zeddemore wisecracking like they used to. But to be honest the only one of the cast that seemed to deliver his lines just to get it over with, was Bill Murray. The others seemed a lot more enthusiastic doing their parts.

What I also loved about the game... the use of Bernstein's great score. :up:

And count us lucky the gang got to make it before Ramis' left us.

Chris Hemsworth cast as nerdy-but-hunky man-candy, then? Figures.

This reboots version of Louis Tully?

No, that would be Janine, played by Annie Potts.

This should be common knowledge for anyone that was alive in the 80s. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ghostbusters has a ravenous fanbase, which, to me, is confusing because there were really only three "major" media items (Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters II, The Real Ghostbusters cartoon) and a few minor ones (short-lived spin-off cartoons, video games, comics, etc). The only thing that's been great, among that limited selection, was the first movie.

The original 2, you mean?

We try not to talk about part 2.

It's, to me, saying "we have the remaining original cast but they are not even playing the characters you knew in this film." It would be like rebooting Star Wars, bringing in Mark Hamill but casting him as someone else, or doing it with Star Trek and having William Shatner not play Kirk but cameo anyway. It's a "why bother?" scenario to me: these roles could all be filled by anybody.

Plus, Murray was the hold-out for a Ghostbusters 3. There's no way he would have done Venkman on screen again. This is just something fun he can do in a day or two (see cameos in Parks and Recreation, Get Smart, Zombieland, etc)

Theodore Shapiro is set to compose the music for the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot. The film is directed by Paul Feig (Bridesmaids, The Heat) and stars Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, Andy Garcia, Matt Walsh, Michael K. Williams and Chris Hemsworth. Stars of the original Ghostbusters, Bill Murray,Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson will also be appearing in the new version. Feig has also written the screenplay with Katie Dippold (The Heat). Amy Pascal is producing the supernatural comedy with Ivan Reitman (Stripes, Kindergarten Cop, Dave) who helmed the original film. Shapiro has previously scored Feig’s last feature Spy starring Melissa McCarthy. The 1984 original Ghostbusters film was scored by Elmer Bernstein, while the 1989 featured music by Randy Edelman. Ghostbusters is set to be released on July 22, 2016 by Sony Pictures.

Shapiro’s other upcoming projects also include Ben Stiller’s Zoolander 2. The composer whose previous credits include The Devil Wears Prada, Tropic Thunder and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty also has scored Nancy Meyers’ The Intern, which is opening this weekend, as well as the drama Trumbo, which just premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and will be released in theaters this November.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/09/24/theodore-shapiro-to-score-ghostbusters-reboot/

Plus, Murray was the hold-out for a Ghostbusters 3. There's no way he would have done Venkman on screen again. This is just something fun he can do in a day or two (see cameos in Parks and Recreation, Get Smart, Zombieland, etc)

I know of his Zombieland cameo: that was where he effectively labelled Garfield the worst movie he did. As to his resistance to playing Venkman on screen again, one has to wonder if his animosity towards Harold Ramis at the time had anything to do with it. Had Ramis not died, would their reconciliation have persuaded Murray to do Ghostbusters 3? Maybe, but we will never know.